The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra MkV launch and updates thread

Branners

How they couldn’t use a some of that to make there own flagship sports car has no justification.

Yes it does; Lexus exists and the Toyota group halo car can't hugely outshine the expensive range. We got a successor to the Supra, it was the LFA. There is no way in hell that Toyota would put out a Supra in the 50-60k range that would outperform an LC500 at 76K. The Supra, in my eyes, should have been built on the same platform as the LC500 so we could have had the Soarer-Supra sister car arrangement again, with the Soarer being the comfy GT car and the Supra being the cut down (on luxury) driver's car that chases lap times.

Yes it does; Lexus exists and the Toyota group halo car can't hugely outshine the expensive range. We got a successor to the Supra, it was the LFA. There is no way in hell that Toyota would put out a Supra in the 50-60k range that would outperform an LC500 at 76K. The Supra, in my eyes, should have been built on the same platform as the LC500 so we could have had the Soarer-Supra sister car arrangement again, with the Soarer being the comfy GT car and the Supra being the cut down (on luxury) driver's car that chases lap times.

That would be perfectly reasonable

I really think Toyota missed a trick not offering two options for the new Supra - a 3.0 V6 turbo hybrid and the cheap option being an updated version of the IS350 drivetrain. All Toyota gear, everything in-house and some real life use of the tech they have been developing in various race series.

It wont be an Icon !

Why? The mkiv wasn't considered an "icon" until a decade or more after release. The mkiv was a major step forward for the brand, but at release it really divided opinion on looks, but was received as a great drivers car - traits which in my opinion will be echoed in the new mkv.

I think at the minute there is too much judgement being put upon this new car before people see the full un-camoflaged version in the flesh, or indeed it being driven by the masses. Whilst it's not a "true" Toyota (which will upset purists) it still has the potential to be a great car.

Doesn’t sound naff, it just sounds like an M3. I love how the M3 sounds, it doesn’t sound like a Toyota at all and I don’t think any amount of fettling will sort that out :(

I'm with raddys on this one; I've always thought the BMW sound had something missing when an M3/335i goes past. It's 98% of the way to that nice 6 cylinder sound but there is just something missing.

Very very sad day for supra lovers, shame on Toyota, I just don't understand surly with sister company Lexus and help of Yamaha they could have designed there own engine, think this will keep mkiv prices very high.

Designing a new engine and transmission etc would have cost a fortune. They could have based it on an existing toyota V6, but then it wouldnt be a Supra.

Designing a new engine and transmission etc would have cost a fortune. They could have based it on an existing toyota V6, but then it wouldnt be a Supra.

Why not? Nissan did it with the GTR. I would have been happy for the supra to have a V6 if it was a progressive engine design.

Why not? Nissan did it with the GTR. I would have been happy for the supra to have a V6 if it was a progressive engine design.

And in the process, went from one of the best sounding turbocharged 6 cylinder motors ever (the RB26), to one of the worst (vr38)

Ultimately it would have just been a rebadegd lexus, so why not a rebadged BMW?

And in the process, went from one of the best sounding turbocharged 6 cylinder motors ever (the RB26), to one of the worst (vr38)

Ultimately it would have just been a rebadegd lexus, so why not a rebadged BMW?

Because Lexus is Japanese and basically Toyota. The supra was the sister car to the soarer was it not?

I’d rather that than the BMW. the reliability index is a good reason why :D

Because Lexus is Japanese and basically Toyota. The supra was the sister car to the soarer was it not?

I’d rather that than the BMW. the reliability index is a good reason why :D

And id prefer another straighf 6 sports car/ GT, as so few are made now, while plenty of manufacturers produce v6 engines cars.