The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra MkV launch and updates thread

Branners

Looks stunning but as a BMW M140i owner with the B58 engine, I'm a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I love the B58 but was hoping for something a little more powerful with better tuning capabilities.

Not much of an incentive to jump ship :(

really a stage one map at Litchfield gives 435hp and 425ft of torque pretty much mkiv bpu spec but better in a lighter car with 50:50 weight , stiffer chassis , quicker gearbox

http://www.litchfieldmotors.com/bmw/m140i-m240i

or stage 2 with exhaust and filter

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

really a stage one map at Litchfield gives 435hp and 425ft of torque pretty much mkiv bpu spec but better in a lighter car with 50:50 weight , stiffer chassis , quicker gearbox

https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2019/01/74.jpg

https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2019/01/75.jpg

I just think the s55 would have been a better base, a remap would take you over 500bhp.

https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2019/01/74.jpg

https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2019/01/75.jpg

What you’re saying is Toyota took 20+ years to make the same car? But LESS reliable

Edited by JasonR24 (see edit history)

Another consideration that I don't think has been covered in this thread is brand loyalty. Every car I've ever owned has been a Toyota group car, because I know what I'm getting. I've avoided BMWs and elected for the Lexus equivalents because I wanted the Toyota badges on the engine, because I know what Toyota craft is all about. With the MKV, this (very strong) factor involved in making my purchasing decisions is now eliminated, so why don't I go and buy a BMW instead now?

I just think the s55 would have been a better base, a remap would take you over 500bhp.
Agreed I said that earlier it should of had the m3 engine but we will have to wait and see what other variants come out

What you’re saying is.

Toyota took 20+ years to make the same car? But LESS reliable

Not saying that I was replying to someone that said the engine is not tuneable Litchfield are well known company and to take it from 355 to 435 without anything else but a map I think is good, as for the car HP for HP the stock mkiv was 325bhp so yea its not gained allot stock for stock but the gear shifting will be quicker, the handling will be better and its lighter so it has to be taken into consideration and that's why a crappy cayman s with 345hp can do the ring in 7min 45 faster than a rcf with 477hp

I saw this comment on the TG website that I think sums it up for me.

"So basicaly, in 1993 you could have a supra for a bit less money than a ferrari and get the same performances.

In 2019 you can have a supra for a bit less money than a bmw and get the same performances."

So true. The same engine as a BMW 1 series and not even a proper M 1 series.

(still love my b58 haha)

I put down my deposit today after seeing the reveal & final specs.

The MK V Supra is more like a "grown up GT86" to me. I owned a GT 86 briefly and it was genuinely one of the best cars I've ever had.

I currently own a C63 so big power is not too interesting as they are so many other outlets for that these days.

I really hope the car handles as well as Toyota have made out because that will be the real clincher.

I’ve been super critical of Toyota but in fairness their customer service has been WAY better than my dads experience with Ford. They told him take it or leave it when the car wasn’t as advertised. Toyota just told me in writing to order the car I want then if I’m not happy after test driving it in May I can have my deposit back. So pretty happy with that.

Given the price of this thing, I don't think many people will be modifying too soon. We all know what happens to warranty once you go done that path.

Modifying it, this early in its life cycle, it could quickly become a 55k boat anchor.

If Toyota had any sense, they would have an extensive after market parts catalogue that included manufacturer approved tuning options (like Ford have with the ecoboost mustang).

Im confused.. correct me if im wrong.. the uk starting price is £52,695, in the USA its $49,995 which is equal to £38,850.. am i misreading this.. how on earth could they sell it for £38k there and £52k here??

Yep this was my point to. Apart from the fact this country is a massive rip off there’s no excuse for such disparity between pricing. It’s never usually that huge a difference

Im confused.. correct me if im wrong.. the uk starting price is £52,695, in the USA its $49,995 which is equal to £38,850.. am i misreading this.. how on earth can they sell it for £38k there and £52k here??

Same shit happened to the mustang. Cheap as anything over there, but about 40k without all the options over here.

Im confused.. correct me if im wrong.. the uk starting price is £52,695, in the USA its $49,995 which is equal to £38,850.. am i misreading this.. how on earth can they sell it for £38k there and £52k here??

VAT alone wont be far off £10k, and id imagine they built in a premium to reflect number of sales, and RHD (the vast majority will be LHD).

Supra tax already ;)