The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra MkV launch and updates thread

Branners

Not a fantastic looking car, good set of offset wheels and a small lowering might help. Saying that the JZA80 looks stupid with stock suspension sitting high in the front and small wheels too.

First thing i did to my first UK spec was get a set of 18" splitrims on it, the stock wheels are dire

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I don't understand all the hate for the BMW collaboration, I get that it doesn't feel "right", but even as unshakable Toyota fans, there's countless reasons why this is a net positive that I don't see featuring in enough discussion...

Firstly, what makes us genuinely think they could do a better job of it than BMW? They probably could if they threw a blank cheque at it, but obviously that's unrealistic and instead we'd all be whinging about a 6-figure pricetag, but I'm still not convinced it would better the B58, have Toyota or Lexus even made an I6 in the last two decades?

Say what you want about BMW reliability or performance/appeal in recent years, they likely know I6 engines better than any company in the world. They've been pumping them out in volume year after year, they've made their mistakes, but they've made massive improvements too, they clearly know what they're doing. BMW 6-cylinders are damn, damn good, and if a 6-speed S58-based 480bhp Supra comes to fruition down the line, it could be an absolute monster, well-worthy of the badge.

Aside from the likely scenario that the A90 would never have been made without the collaboration, the cost savings being passed down to buyers is probably enormous. BMW were going to make the Z4 anyway, I suspect Toyota development costs on this were comparatively minuscule, and you know that they'll look to reinvest those savings on improving the platform- this is undoubtably a labour of love on their part. I would be shocked if the Supra wasn't cheaper, faster, better handling, better tuned, and more reliable than the Z4 as a result.

Another thing that is often overloocked- we're busy comparing the A90 with the A80 on their merits as performance cars, while completely neglecting to consider the different worlds in which they're produced. Not only were the 90's a very different economic state of affairs, the automotive industry, fuel costs, and consumer demands were in completely different shape, too. If somebody could "re-create" the Supra, i.e, affordable-ish, supercar performance, bulletproof, with a touch of luxury, they would have done it by now, several times over- but here we are.

The exact same argument could probably be made for the lack of manual (for now), although admittedly it's a hard pill to swallow...

We know Toyota wanted to build this car with its fans/community in mind, we know they want to reinvent their sports car division, and we know they wanted to 'honor' the Supra legacy, why so much hate?

Edited by Wonga Spar (see edit history)

Someone will put a 2JZ-GTE engine in it Just to see how it goes The MKV Is a Supra in name only Collaboration is rife in the car industry of today Lamborghini is Audi, Bugatti is Volkswagen,Aston Martins will have BMW engines and do it goes on The MKV will be a good car,as BMW’s usually are It is not a successor to the MKIV It stands alone for what it is: a BMW

I don't understand all the hate for the BMW collaboration, I get that it doesn't feel "right", but even as unshakable Toyota fans, there's countless reasons why this is a net positive that I don't see featuring in enough discussion...

Firstly, what makes us genuinely think they could do a better job of it than BMW? They probably could if they threw a blank cheque at it, but obviously that's unrealistic and instead we'd all be whinging about a 6-figure pricetag, but I'm still not convinced it would better the B58, have Toyota or Lexus even made an I6 in the last two decades?

Say what you want about BMW reliability or performance/appeal in recent years, they likely know I6 engines better than any company in the world. They've been pumping them out in volume year after year, they've made their mistakes, but they've made massive improvements too, they clearly know what they're doing. BMW 6-cylinders are damn, damn good, and if a 6-speed S58-based 480bhp Supra comes to fruition down the line, it could be an absolute monster, well-worthy of the badge.

Aside from the likely scenario that the A90 would never have been made without the collaboration, the cost savings being passed down to buyers is probably enormous. BMW were going to make the Z4 anyway, I suspect Toyota development costs on this were comparatively minuscule, and you know that they'll look to reinvest those savings on improving the platform- this is undoubtably a labour of love on their part. I would be shocked if the Supra wasn't cheaper, faster, better handling, better tuned, and more reliable than the Z4 as a result.

Another thing that is often overloocked- we're busy comparing the A90 with the A80 on their merits as performance cars, while completely neglecting to consider the different worlds in which they're produced. Not only were the 90's a very different economic state of affairs, the automotive industry, fuel costs, and consumer demands were in completely different shape, too. If somebody could "re-create" the Supra, i.e, affordable-ish, supercar performance, bulletproof, with a touch of luxury, they would have done it by now, several times over- but here we are.

The exact same argument could probably be made for the lack of manual (for now), although admittedly it's a hard pill to swallow...

We know Toyota wanted to build this car with its fans/community in mind, we know they want to reinvent their sports car division, and we know they wanted to 'honor' the Supra legacy, why so much hate?

It's not hate. It's dissapointment.

Personally I'm really NOT a fan of the new Supra for one reason: it looks like a BMW Z4. Interior and exterior. Look at the shifter, the steering wheel, the shape of the car, without naming other items.

And sure, all your arguments are really true and I share them like you do. But, if you want to build a car together with other car company, who is your competitor, please be at least exclusive. Specially about the legend Supra. It would be soooooooo magnificent and cool if the new Supra could be like the FT-1. Original, full of style and with no other car to compare with. Own futuristic style, own design, own blue print.

Now we talk and ask...is it a Supra or a BMW? And that is a shame. But like I said, it is my own feeling, interpretation and meaning.

BMW has really nice and good cars, but we are talking about a legend here.

Lexus developed the LFA together with Yamaha (Intake system---> heaven sound to anyone's ears inside the car), but does the LFA looks like a Yamaha?

Or does the Supra 6-speed looks like other car who also has a Getrag trans?

Or does any Sky-line or GT-R looks like other cars? Not at all.

So if Toyota can't build there own legend then let Lexus do it (LC - LFA - RC-F - GS-F) and keep concentrate on building economic and environment friendly cars.

Edited by RastaMc (see edit history)

At the end of the day it's a RWD car with a straight 6 twin turbo engine that seems to have pretty nice tuning capabilities...can't really ask for more than that. I think Toyota have done a good job with the limits that were probably put in front of them: Keep it affordable, nice amount of power but nothing ridiculous and basically don't exceed Lexus designs in any way, shape or form.

Coilovers, wheels and a wing will have it looking quite good if you ask me. Let's not forget the MK4 looks pretty naff in stock form and also doesn't really command any attention but it doesn't take much to get it looking great and feared on the streets.

At the end of the day it's a RWD car with a straight 6 twin turbo engine that seems to have pretty nice tuning capabilities...can't really ask for more than that. I think Toyota have done a good job with the limits that were probably put in front of them: Keep it affordable, nice amount of power but nothing ridiculous and basically don't exceed Lexus designs in any way, shape or form.

Coilovers, wheels and a wing will have it looking quite good if you ask me. Let's not forget the MK4 looks pretty naff in stock form and also doesn't really command any attention but it doesn't take much to get it looking great and feared on the streets.

I dunno, I think I’d be expecting more for the money if it’s going to be £50k plus. Seems a bit of a rip off

I neither like or dislike the mkv

I think I would have to see the car in its entirety to pass judgment as it would probably look better without all the gimmicks staged videos and photos.

But it will probably be quite a while before you see one in a showroom which is disappointing.

Edited by rg500 (see edit history)

Not quite sure what I think of the finished product, looks wise. Some details arent great (the aforementioned wing vents, the bootlid/ducktail monstrosity from the rear), but head on, and rear quarter view looks fantastic. Looking forward to seeing one in the flesh, plus J suspect the reveal on monday with people stood near it will make the proportions easier to gauge.