The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra MkV launch and updates thread

Branners

Interior:

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/take-a-look-at-the-interior-of-the-2020-supra.1502/

Car:

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/official-2020-supra-images-theyre-real-and-theyre-spectacular.1501/

Pricing:

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/the-unofficial-pricing-u-s-2020-supra-models.1500/

I just can’t get behind this car. I obviously want to see it in the metal but so far I’m underwhelmed. It’s not even the hype, it’s just the car screams overpriced German rubbish. If I wanted to get ripped off I’d get a BMW, Mercedes or Audi

I dunno, I think I’d be expecting more for the money if it’s going to be £50k plus. Seems a bit of a rip off

Was the 50k not dollars though? We'd be looking at around £40k for the fully spec'd out one? I agree it's still a bit steep though, really want to reserve my judgement at least until I've seen one. The chassis might blow your socks off and more power doesn't sound too hard to achieve.

The aftermarket world might save this car!

Was the 50k not dollars though? We'd be looking at around £40k for the fully spec'd out one? I agree it's still a bit steep though, really want to reserve my judgement at least until I've seen one. The chassis might blow your socks off and more power doesn't sound too hard to achieve.

The aftermarket world might save this car!

Yea but you know how it goes in this country, we end up paying the same as it costs it dollars! Conversion rate goes to the tax man. happened with the Mustang, I suspect it will happen with this too. If it was £40k for the top spec then I’ll be on the fence

If the interior is like a BMW I will be cancelling my order. One of the nicest things about the MKIV is the interior and dash, so unique and feels special, nothing else like it.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Not sure how I feel

I think it all depends on price at this point.

If it’s over £40k for the top spec then it really can’t be worth it

Edited by JasonR24 (see edit history)

Strange how 24 years ago the mkiv was 326 and yet now it’s saying it’s looking at 335bhp! Should of been 450 ish

Compare the torque curves though. And there is a reason why a 300hp car will do 0-60 in 4 seconds now when a 300hp was doing 0-60 in 6 seconds in the 90's, it's the gearbox and other tech that goes into a chassis. Just comparing numbers is apples and oranges at this point.

Compare the torque curves though. And there is a reason why a 300hp car will do 0-60 in 4 seconds now when a 300hp was doing 0-60 in 6 seconds in the 90's, it's the gearbox and other tech that goes into a chassis. Just comparing numbers is apples and oranges at this point.

Exactly, probably going to be a lot lighter than the MK4 and handling is bound to be superior. Will probably still get pumped by a good hatchback though :(

Exactly, probably going to be a lot lighter than the MK4 and handling is bound to be superior. Will probably still get pumped by a good hatchback though :(

This is the problem I have with all this. You can’t price your car high and then get out performed in every aspect by a much cheaper car

This is the problem I have with all this. You can’t price your car high and then get out performed in every aspect by a much cheaper car

Yeah agreed mate. I guess the only potential upside is the ease of more power. It sounds like the engine can cope with bolt on mods for a lot more power. It's whether or not the box, diff, axles etc. are up to it too (which I doubt).

Toyota are just cashing in on the Supra name, it was never going to live up to the MKIV.

Unfortunately I do agree. However forgetting the MkIV for a moment and for the benefit of anyone reading over at MKVsupra.com as I know they’re slagging us off ;)

You can’t charge this much for a carbon copy car that gets out performed by such a large margin by hatchbacks. Toyota had other options. If they had any confidence it would have a Lexus power plant. I would have been fine without an inline 6. Engines evolve that’s ok.

What’s not ok is making out like you’ve designed an all new car when the whole things has BMW stamped across it. I’ve seen the “prototype” (which let’s be honest was the final car in wrap) and there’s no Toyota on this apart from the shell, everything else has BMW stamped on it. The interior is uninspired and the outside is limited by the z4 chassis..

Just to back up my point on price. The Audi RS3, Mercedes A45 AMG and BMW M140i all cost around £40 to 50k.

All of them have over 335bhp some even more. Not to mention all the modern handling tech. Paying the same money and getting out performed by a hatchback isn’t a good legacy.

I am still on the fence till I’ve driven it but it’s not looking good!

Edited by JasonR24 (see edit history)

Unfortunately I do agree. However forgetting the MkIV for a moment and for the benefit of anyone reading over at MKVsupra.com as I know they’re slagging us off ;)

You can’t charge this much for a carbon copy car that gets out performed by such a large margin by hatchbacks. Toyota had other options. If they had any confidence it would have a Lexus power plant. I would have been fine without an inline 6. Engines evolve that’s ok.

What’s not ok is making out like you’ve designed an all new car when the whole things has BMW stamped across it. I’ve seen the “prototype” (which let’s be honest was the final car in wrap) and there’s no Toyota on this apart from the shell, everything else has BMW stamped on it. The interior is uninspired and the outside is limited by the z4 chassis..

I am still on the fence till I’ve driven it but it’s not looking good!

I totally agree!

I think the exterior styling is spot on a good base to start with a nice set of ssr sp1's and lowered , the interior I agree with others to much bmw parts bin they should of at least designed their own heater controls and gearbox shifter. The engine should of been the f80 m3 engine and I know Tada says there is a more powerful version the grmn to come but is that 100% who knows , the price id never buy a new car anyway does not matter what you buy it's lost around 10% the moment it leaves the forecourt so it will be interesting 2-3 years the second hand price and will grey imports appear