The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Does anyone actually care about this site any longer?

rider

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that idea is a very good thing that has come out of this thread :thumbs:

That idea is actually a few years old and has been mentioned to JB by a few of us on several occasions, so hopefully now it’s more public and has momentum, something may happen.

I know many who regularly attend JAE have said they happily pay a yearly subscription or chip in to a club event fund.

Rider,

Are you planning on attending any events?

I think most things have already been said and done to death but I just wanted to chip in.

I'll happily pay £10 a year or another lump of £30, more than happy to do so. The historic threads, knowledge on here and all the information available make that a bargain.

I'm an 'online only' member as meets aren't generally my thing, takes a lot of effort just to be bothered to go to local ones, but the forum is valuable for the resources and as a way of keeping a log of the car (build threads.)

There are definitely some cliques and there are also a couple of bad eggs (both new and much older) but I guess thats par for the course for online forums.

I do think forums as a whole are in decline, there are the hardcore few who won't use other forms of social media but the fact is that Facebook, Instagram and the like are killing forums and that wont change.

Like I said though for the simple fact of being able to search for a thread someone created 5 years ago detailing how they did a particular job, this place is still very useful.

I've noticed this rider character seems to have a lot of opinions on people's car values and seems to be on a one man mission to keep the values down.

I’ve thought the opposite, his posts I have seen are helping increase prices. Take the recent sugggestion of sharing agreed values for example, or the many price examples indicating increases in Japan. Maybe I have missed something?

I’ve thought the opposite, his posts I have seen are helping increase prices. Take the recent sugggestion of sharing agreed values for example, or the many price examples indicating increases in Japan. Maybe I have missed something?

Yes you have. It's to do with his opinions and bashing of singles and modified cars, you can imagine the number of people that are upset about that.

Edit: But I see what you mean Pete, and I think he is right about the current values of stock cars in Japan etc...

ok my 2 cents or the elephant in the room shall we say (imo of course!).

I used to post quite alot on here but in recent years I've stopped. And I KNOW I speak for tons of other members from 2007 and before who also stopped posting for the same reasons. Here is why:

1) It became very very clique in 2010-2014. Borderline bullying if you didn't agree with some high count posters that their cars were "Awesome" (to be fair they generally were, but the kits/styling etc. were naturally open to debate). If you said anything at all detrimental you'd be attacked by all the big players on here. Ironically most of these big players have moved on to other marques making this forum much friendlier.

2) After the above, many people just stopped posting their own projects or responding to others project builds for fear of criticism and have lurked ever since.

3) There are stand up people on here still who generally don't post much but now just watch/read and pm. Probably cause of reason 1. If you look at the amount of people viewing the forum at any point it hasn't really got any quieter just less people posting.

4) The long standing BS N/A supra bashing did nothing to attract owners who own the NA, despite being the same car. Again this just puts off a ton of supra owners from posting.

5) Cost of parts sky rocketing. So pricey now, there are far less projects being started as unfortunately this car has got to the stage where cost of tuning is truly for the passionate only. So less people buying supras for £2-4k and tuning them up on the cheap.

6) Simply far less of them on the road and being used daily = less activity. I hardly use mine anymore and most supra owners I come across equally keep them stored in garages now as they are worth so much and parts are expensive, they just aren't used much as a daily anymore.

I totally agree with these points, I remember when I first joined it used to be really harsh if you upset someone or didn't do something correct so I never used to post that much.

like most I don't really use my Supra much at all. I have done most of the stuff I wanted to do the car and only real thing left is more power but that's a lot of money. Money which is going else where towards house improvemts etc so less posts from me

Due to how hard it is to get Supra's these days I think it will get less active as no new fresh blood on the scene and parts harder to get hold of/expensive etc.

One thing I have noticed is small traders don't seem to be on here anymore which is a shame like Rob RM polishing

I have tried to do a few local meets in the past but never came to anything, I don't think many people like me :D I do miss going to local meets and cruises I must admit.

I have just asked for my lifetime membership to be revoked and paid the £10 for my 17/18 membership and £10 for my 18/19 membership I think given the resources available and community spirit this is fantastic value for money!

If you feel the same please do the same and support this great club!

I have just asked for my lifetime membership to be revoked and paid the £10 for my 17/18 membership and £10 for my 18/19 membership I think given the resources available and community spirit this is fantastic value for money!

If you feel the same please do the same and support this great club!

Made my opinion clear on this already on the other thread. I think money is the easy way out and won’t solve anything long term.

Is the main issue declining numbers or lack of interest in making changes? Maybe we just need more mods/event organisers. Should we have one for every region etc?

Im assuming the minimal income to the club is spent on hosting the web page? If there’s extra should it be split between event organisers to represent the club at events or arrange our own for each region?

Should we get involved more in Facebook? I think these are all important questions and I’m happy to help in these aspects if that’s what required, I just don’t want people to think a solution has been reached when it hasn’t

Made my opinion clear on this already on the other thread. I think you’ve jumped the gun and money is the easy way out and won’t solve anything.

Is the main issue declining numbers or lack of interest in making changes? Maybe we just need more mods/event organisers. Should we have one for every region etc?

Im assuming the minimal income to the club is spent on hosting the web page? If there’s extra should it be split between event organisers to represent the club at events or arrange our own for each region?

Should we get involved more in Facebook? I think these are all important questions and I’m happy to help in these aspects.

How do we fund more events?

How do we have enough banners to cover all events?

We do need a shake up of the event moderators as some haven't been on in a while.

Not sure how much more could be done on Facebook to be honest, what more could be done?

How do we fund more events?

How do we have enough banners to cover all events?

We do need a shake up of the event moderators as some haven't been on in a while.

Not sure how much more could be done on Facebook to be honest, what more could be done?

These are all good questions and honestly I’ve kind of just realised we don’t have much input really, as the only people who know the income and outgoings are those handling finances and only they can make a judgement call. I have no idea how dire the situation is. Maybe the site should have ad banners? At the bottom and in between posts? May not be the best idea but just a suggestion.

I think long term we need really enthusiastic people who are willing to use a bit of thier spare time to promote and arrange regional events. I feel like now there are a lot of mods and organisers who just don’t have the time anymore which is fair enough but others need to take over.

Facebook you’re right, I can’t think of anything but I’m jut throwing out ideas

These are all good questions and honestly I’ve kind of just realised we don’t have much input really, as the only people who know the income and outgoings are those handling finances and only they can make a judgement call. I have no idea how dire the situation is. Maybe the site should have ad banners? At the bottom and in between posts? May not be the best idea but just a suggestion.

I think long term we need really enthusiastic people who are willing to use a bit of thier spare time to promote and arrange regional events. I feel like now there are a lot of mods and organisers who just don’t have the time anymore which is fair enough but others need to take over.

Facebook you’re right, I can’t think of anything but I’m jut throwing out ideas

Please no adverts, the advert on Tapatalk and Facebook do my head in enough lol

Getting more people interested in events would be good, you can clearly tell there are already a few of us very enthusiastic event mods ;)

Yeah I’m stumped on FB.

I manage the selling pages but they are easy.

Not sure what else could be done other than information.

I'm so sick of the whole facebook thing!

There are numerous members that don't have/want facebook and therefor are almost discriminated against when club related stuff is only or primarily on facebook. I've lost count the number times I've been told about something on facebook for sale but not advertised on forum for example.

Surely facebook should be an extension of the forum rather than alternative. I.e. main posts on here and then facebook links back to the forum. That way forum members get to see it, it'll help traffic to the forum and would pull in new members too.

All of which will make the forum more active and better in my opinion.

I'm so sick of the whole facebook thing!

There are numerous members that don't have/want facebook and therefor are almost discriminated against when club related stuff is only or primarily on facebook. I've lost count the number times I've been told about something on facebook for sale but not advertised on forum for example.

Surely facebook should be an extension of the forum rather than alternative. I.e. main posts on here and then facebook links back to the forum. That way forum members get to see it, it'll help traffic to the forum and would pull in new members too.

All of which will make the forum more active and better in my opinion.

I actually agree with this, much better format imo, but unfortunately there are selling pages who have nothing to do with the forum.

I think these can be really dodgy and have some dodgy people trading on them but they’re popular so not much can be done.

I actually agree with this, much better format imo, but unfortunately there are selling pages who have nothing to do with the forum.

I think these can be really dodgy and have some dodgy people trading on them but they’re popular so not much can be done.

Yeah that.

The selling pages have nowt to do with the forum.

And the club FB page isn’t moderated enough either.

Selling on Facebook is not only easier and quicker, it reaches thousands instantly.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of supra owners out there that actually hate this forum and the members.

If putting on events like Jae are costing the club so much why no charge say an extra £10 for the catering putting less strain on the club finances.

It’s not that events are putting a strain on, the whole point of going to events and showcasing what we can offer is to keep members and pull in new members.

• 2 weeks later...
I totally agree with these points, I remember when I first joined it used to be really harsh if you upset someone or didn't do something correct so I never used to post that much.

like most I don't really use my Supra much at all. I have done most of the stuff I wanted to do the car and only real thing left is more power but that's a lot of money. Money which is going else where towards house improvemts etc so less posts from me

Due to how hard it is to get Supra's these days I think it will get less active as no new fresh blood on the scene and parts harder to get hold of/expensive etc.

One thing I have noticed is small traders don't seem to be on here anymore which is a shame like Rob RM polishing

I have tried to do a few local meets in the past but never came to anything, I don't think many people like me :D I do miss going to local meets and cruises I must admit.

100% behind you on this .......

Some senior members and even mods thinking they can bully people on site.

I've experienced this personally and it made me post a few messages I regretted later as I was drawn into a debate by some absolute arse holes, (who know who they are), but only apologised to me via PM not on the forum.

I haven't owned a Supra for almost 5yrs now, but love coming back to this site.

Thanks to all who work behind the scenes to keep this site working.

Yeah that.

The selling pages have nowt to do with the forum.

And the club FB page isn’t moderated enough either.

Selling on Facebook is not only easier and quicker, it reaches thousands instantly.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of supra owners out there that actually hate this forum and the members.

I don't know any members who hate the forum, just some members who hate other members. Mainly down to the way they try to intimidate newbies or members who don't agree with their points of view.

Check out their friends, you'll find they're normally in the same gang and post in line with each other (as they're weak on their own) and love to read nothing else but their own views, which also increases their post count, which in turn makes them believe they're sooooo much better than everyone else.

I don't know any members who hate the forum, just some members who hate other members. Mainly down to the way they try to intimidate newbies or members who don't agree with their points of view.

Check out their friends, you'll find they're normally in the same gang and post in line with each other (as they're weak on their own) and love to read nothing else but their own views, which also increases their post count, which in turn makes them believe they're sooooo much better than everyone else.

I never said members who hate this forum, I said people.

There are many, many supra owners that aren’t members.

So again, there are many people who hate this forum, I could name you a dozen who use the selling sites/supra pages on Facebook but refuse to use the forum, hell I’ve gotten into a few debates with them about it.