The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Does anyone actually care about this site any longer?

rider

Some of the older members do stick about and use the forum rather than FB.

But have to agree the forum is becoming inflexible to use as technology has moved on and Tapacrap is just an awful tool. Also have to agree with the comments on it needing a tidy up and yet again I will say that IMO fresh moderation is in need as we have super mods and regular mods that have not been on here for years - not really contributing to the club anymore and they therefore should be allowed to move on and fresh blood take over.

No disrespect to Rosie but the last time I brought this up there were plans afoot etc etc, Adding 1 moderator to the team aint going to fix anything as she's not a miracle worker

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should have sat back some more.

Is that it? Is that the most constructive response you could come back with?

I expected something along the lines of "Well I've contacted the Mods on many occasions to offer my help on both the forum and with events etc but have always been turned down".

But apparently not. Apparently we're in the "I know you are but what am I?" arena.

I'm sorry if the questions were a little difficult or I used far too many words with more than one syllable in so let me dumb it down a bit for you.

What. Have. YOU. Done?

What. Will. YOU. Do?

Just don't set your dad on my dad as I'll have to tell teacher.

You are so far off topic I really cannot be bothered. If you can come up with some ideas on how to move the web forum along from 2012 which is when the housekeeping appears to have ended feel free to share those ideas. Two syllables at a time will be fine. Then maybe Pete as one of two regularly active mods can consider taking them to where they need to go, along with some of my own reasonably detailed strategic placement suggestions that he has.

Your come across as resistance to change, lack of change will kill off a forum that is clearly in rapid decline. Maybe as a former Supra owner that's not to much of an issue for you?

Chaps, put the handbags down.

The forum is overdue a rethink for sure, but there's no reason it won't remain at the core of what the club's about. Social media channels will emerge and die, but the site will remain the backbone.

As already mentioned we're in the throes of planning the a rebuild of the site, but it's a far bigger project than perhaps some of you imagine based on comments thus far. This site's indexed content goes back many years and there's a lot of custom coding to unpick too. That's the reason it's been held off so long until now.

However, the growing readership on smart devices does mean we now need to act. So we will.

All ideas greatly appreciated - it's a club for the members, after all :)

For example if someone on here now asks question or advice, members rather pick faults and tell them they wrong rather then being helpful.

We are all here for our passion of the mkiv supra and should work together rather than attacking each other for silly reasons and instead of criticising one another

That is exactly the reason I do not post on this forum, I pop by and check out the new posts every other day but apart from that I cant be bothered with the bitching or the fanboys.

Shame really as there is a a lot of good information and knowledge on here.

You are so far off topic I really cannot be bothered. If you can come up with some ideas on how to move the web forum along from 2012 which is when the housekeeping appears to have ended feel free to share those ideas. Two syllables at a time will be fine. Then maybe Pete as one of two regularly active mods can consider taking them to where they need to go, along with some of my own reasonably detailed strategic placement suggestions that he has.

Your come across as resistance to change, lack of change will kill off a forum that is clearly in rapid decline. Maybe as a former Supra owner that's not to much of an issue for you?

I don't think it's off topic at all rider. Yes the forum is out of date, but there's a lot of reasons surrounding that, and frankly things that are more important in life than what the forum looks like, and I'm sure if you knew the reasons, not that it's yours or anyone else's business, maybe you'd wind your neck in, then again knowing past post history from yourself I doubt you would even then. The forum is being sorted and being brought up to date I assure you.

There is a bigger picture to this, and that is the community and the club as a whole, not just what the forum looks like. This forum is just one small part of what makes this club. From the large events that members work hard on throughout the year like Dragonball, JAE, S Club Party, NEC, last year Suprapod, this year will be the return of DragonCol. Do you think Branners hands out a work list to members each year and tells them what to do? No, members who don't have or need a coloured name, not paid to do it, step up and make these events happen, over a period of months, with many events on the go at once. Ellis for example has put a lot of his own money over the years into design work and printing for this club and events, and not once asked for anything in return, or ever moaned. So I can see why he's a little peeved at you rider, as all I have heard lately from members, and I have seen it myself, is yourself getting members backs up.

Rider, there is so much hard work going on behind the pages of this forum, and discussions about the present and future, and I know every single person who is working hard and who is doing exactly what and which event/task they are working on. I know all this because nearly everyday we are in contact with each other, as these are my friends, they are like family. That is why I don't need to ask you what you've contributed to this club rider, as I know it's nothing. I also don't need to ask you what events you attended over the past few years, as I organise most of them and I never see your name on a booking list.

It's easy for any of us to criticise and point fault, but a lot harder to step up and change things. Rider it's up to you, continue to be the forum pain and annoyance that a hell of a lot of members think you are and actually really dislike you, not that you probably care, in fact I have a suspicion you like it and it fills your day, or, step up and contribute like a lot of club members do.

Quote of the day:

"Take a sh1t or get off the pot." Lets un-ban RogerNE, I have this strange feeling of deja vu.

I do agree that uploading could be easier, interesting that Ric says its the easiest thing to do, Jeez maybe I am doing it wrong, but all the resizing and different locations for the resized images makes it tedious and thats why the use of Photobucket was so popular as an alternative, but even that was bit of a faff compared to something like Whatsap or Facebook.

I don't do facebook, (the missus makes up for that) and like a few have said most likely never will so for me its the forum I return to often. I firmly believe its good to put something back into a forum that has provided so much information and support over the years, but that's not for everyone and I respect that. There are several other car forums that I use occasionally and have never done a thing for, and there's nothing wrong with that either in my opinion. But I would hesistate in going on those and being so negative about the set up whilst not offering some assistance or an offer of putting something back in.

Organising a few events over the years, I have noticed it tends to be the people that contribute little or nothing who moan the most.

It's easy for any of us to criticise and point fault, but a lot harder to step up and change things. Rider it's up to you, continue to be the forum pain and annoyance that a hell of a lot of members think you are and actually really dislike you, not that you probably care, in fact I have a suspicion you like it and it fills your day, or, step up and contribute like a lot of club members do.

I feel there is a little clique hovering. But, at least its very encouraging to find out that something is going on behind the scenes, on a need to know basis. Out of interest, what percentage of members actually attend your friends and family events, seems to be largely the same members year after year? Are you sure you are actually catering to the wider membership? I'm membership #24,421 so I'm not certain that the socials is a prime means to fully engage with the wider membership. Maybe if you were more involved with the web forum you'd see that there are certain members who jump in to help others with loaned parts, links and opinions. Often, that's way more useful to a Supra owner than a back slapping behind closed doors bevvy with your mates.

I feel there is a little clique hovering. But, at least its very encouraging to find out that something is going on behind the scenes, on a need to know basis. Out of interest, what percentage of members actually attend your friends and family events, seems to be largely the same members year after year? Are you sure you are actually catering to the wider membership? I'm membership #24,421 so I'm not certain that the socials is a prime means to fully engage with the wider membership. Maybe if you were more involved with the web forum you'd see that there are certain members who jump in to help others with loaned parts, links and opinions. Often, that's way more useful to a Supra owner than a back slapping behind closed doors bevvy with your mates.

All the events you question are national or international events, widely publicised both here and on FB etc and open to ALL members. You know, the ones you never attend. Family and friends? Are you really so juvenile.

If you knew what went on behind the scenes in terms of loaned and gifted parts, gifted time etc with the members you are now defaming you might retract these ridiculous and quite frankly sad little quips.

And as a 'former Supra owner' (of 4 weeks although I've been a former owner twice before and bought a third) I am still contributing my time, my money, my resources and my parts to those that want them, FOC.

Hovering clique? Jeez, you really do have some sort of inferiority complex. Perhaps if you attended some events you'd get it.

You're right, it usually is the exact same members that come to events, but those exact same members are also the family.

Out of all the events I have attended, and JAE that I organise, regardless of my personal differences with any member, I can guarantee that they would still have a beer with me and help me out of any situation.

They are also the same members that loan parts and tools, offer their free time and advice to other members.

Maybe, JUST MAYBE, it isn't the members that do attend these events but the members that don't attend that are the problem, since this family is great!

Oh and you can bet your last dollar that we try extremely hard to encourage new members to events and other members to events.

Events are not to everyone's taste, but we still try.

You are very welcome to come along to an event, the club does put in a lot of money to events so its doesn't cost you as much.

DragonBall is extremely cheap for what it is.

S Club is an amazing beautiful event.

JAE is a great event and we have the best stand with a massive marquee, power, kitchen and chefs with constant supply of beer.

All this is because of the club putting in money and the members putting in the effort.

Burna couldn't have said any better!!

I for one am a lurking member / someone who uses the search facility a lot, and although I agree some sub-forums don't have a lot of movement but there is a lot of information on this site and it wouldn't surprise me if 90% of information new posts are about have been covered at some point.

I have attended a few national events, I have met some great people who are always willing to help out and lend a hand. The events I have attended have always been well organised and I have enjoyed. People have always been open to a chat and very inviting, there certainly is no clique !

I feel there is a little clique hovering.

:rlol: You make me laugh, showing your signs of paranoia? Do you believe people are out to get you?! There is no clique, but there are a group of people who work hard for this forum, and you are not one of them rider. Do you expect the people who do put a lot of effort into this club to just sit back and agree with you? Or are you going to bang on about "Oh woe is me, a clique is out to get me :(" Get a grip please. If you actually knew me rider, you would know that I'm very far from belonging to some clique ;)

But, at least its very encouraging to find out that something is going on behind the scenes, on a need to know basis.

There's been a lot of things going on behind the scenes for many many months, and you are right, you don't need to know or worry yourself about them.

Out of interest, what percentage of members actually attend your friends and family events, seems to be largely the same members year after year? Are you sure you are actually catering to the wider membership? I'm membership #24,421 so I'm not certain that the socials is a prime means to fully engage with the wider membership. Maybe if you were more involved with the web forum you'd see that there are certain members who jump in to help others with loaned parts, links and opinions. Often, that's way more useful to a Supra owner than a back slapping behind closed doors bevvy with your mates.

Ha! You really are an up your own arse obnoxious little *** aren't you. Well rider, if you had even bothered to make the effort and turn up at an event/meet, you would actually see what goes on and who attends. I know for a fact that last year at Wroxall 90% (maybe higher actually) of current active posting members on this forum were in attendance. How do I know this? It's because I know who posts on this forum, and who's on here regularly, because I'm on here every day, on and off all day. I actually messaged all these members that I see posting but not at events, I think I even sent you a PM rider? Some replied, and some were just plain ignorant and didn't respond, even though I see them posting on the forum all the time. Just because I don't post useless posts and threads like you rider, doesn't mean I, and a lot of others on here aren't involved with the web forum. Trust me rider, I see everything, and know who posts links and helps members, who jumps in to help others. But do you see all the members that also do this but not on this forum, but all know each other from this forum, who do this with a quick text to one of us, or over a pint down the pub regularly? Or over a chat at SRD or Performance@Hart while hanging around after popping in for a coffee and a chat? No you wouldn't know anything of all this would you rider, that would be too far outside your bubble.

Rider I have recently been watching your posts more and more because of stirrings I hear, and I've noticed a change in your posts since the NEC when the only time I met you back in 2016. You have become more and more condescending to members over this time, and frankly you leave a nasty taste in my mouth now whenever I read your posts. You keep on going rider, please keep getting members backs up, keep annoying and antagonising members, keep doing what you do to keep your day full and amuse yourself, as you'll be surprised to hear, this place isn't a democracy, it's run and owned by one man, Branners, and if he says you're gone, you're gone mate. So keep it up old chap, and I look forward to the day you disappear, and no doubt a lot of other members will.

I have just come on to say that I love Ellis... Few people on this forum have devoted as much time, dedication & not to mention huge amounts of money as Ellis.

At home I have a collection of all the DB books that Ellis has created, they are absolutely brilliant, this takes time and effort to do and this man goes above and beyond.

So yes please care, although the site might be updated it will be difficult to compete with social media, that is an entirely different animal.

So yes please care, although the site might be updated it will be difficult to compete with social media, that is an entirely different animal.

I think social media currently wins for updates on cars with pictures and selling stuff, but with good solid information about Supras' with a filtered response ( no dodgy traders ) then I don't think you can not compete.

Rider I have recently been watching your posts more and more because of stirrings I hear, and I've noticed a change in your posts since the NEC when the only time I met you back in 2016. You have become more and more condescending to members over this time, and frankly you leave a nasty taste in my mouth now whenever I read your posts. You keep on going rider, please keep getting members backs up, keep annoying and antagonising members, keep doing what you do to keep your day full and amuse yourself, as you'll be surprised to hear, this place isn't a democracy, it's run and owned by one man, Branners, and if he says you're gone, you're gone mate. So keep it up old chap, and I look forward to the day you disappear, and no doubt a lot of other members will.

+1 Im quite happy this member doesn't come to any of these events.

As for having a dig at ellis. How many books, calendars have you made for the club rider?

We all see that the interactive footfall on the forum has declined to a trickle in spite of Mk4 ownership never being higher in the UK. The site does have a distinctly dated feel and showing a lack of maintenance which might not be attracting new participants.

There are group buy stickies from years ago and trader sections from 'membership expired' traders and in this section we have the essential 'recommend me android apps' from 2010. I have no idea if anyone is tasked with site development and maintenance but it has the feel of terminal decline about it. There was talk of new blood and revamp last year but there is no apparent sign of it. I do hope the site does remain open and available for an archive reference of technical information if nothing else but it could just become a zombie site with cobwebs clearly on show until it finally becomes phone browser incompatible.

You obviously know it all. As you know best why not offer your services to the forum to revamp the areas you have an issue with. You seem to have a lot of time on your hands.

This is probably a naive question but I don't know the answer. Who owns this Supra site and who runs it?

OK - that's 2 questions.

JB- Branners owns the site.

A team of super moderators, moderators and event moderators help run the site.

If you are on a computer/IE etc, you can see some members have different coloured names and a title under their names, depending on what they moderate.

+1 Im quite happy this member doesn't come to any of these events.

As for having a dig at ellis. How many books, calendars have you made for the club rider?

JB- Branners owns the site.

A team of super moderators, moderators and event moderators help run the site.

If you are on a computer/IE etc, you can see some members have different coloured names and a title under their names, depending on what they moderate.

Sometimes when you are all alone, late at night, you feel like you are being watched, or feel a breath on the back of your neck, you turn around quickly to see who's there! But he's gone... that would have been Branners ;)

Or you see a shadowy figure lurking in a dark corner of a room (usually in a strip club on DB, I can't say if I was there or not), you can make out his shape, but his face you cannot quite focus on, and looks like it's a meld of two parallel dimensions... that would have been Branners ;)

Sometimes when you are all alone, late at night, you feel like you are being watched, or feel a breath on the back of your neck, you turn around quickly to see who's there! But he's gone... that would have been Branners ;)

Or you see a shadowy figure lurking in a dark corner of a room (usually in a strip club on DB, I can't say if I was there or not), you can make out his shape, but his face you cannot quite focus on, and looks like it's a meld of two parallel dimensions... that would have been Branners ;)

Shivers down my spine............

Literally, this just happened