The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Does anyone actually care about this site any longer?

rider

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You say it a lot!!

But you never left, maybe that’s the problem :rlol:

It's in jest Al. I think about 100 posts in 3 years, could be classed as being away.

I am not sure when the "golden years" were. I loved 2007 - 2010, some proper banter and arguments. You are never going to get loads of people together and them all get on. As long as it is kept civil, that is the best you can hope for. I have no regrets about joining this group and the friends made far outweigh the number of tossers I have encountered.

H.

It's in jest Al. I think about 100 pot in 3 years, could be classed as being away.

I am not sure when the "golden years" were. I loved 2007 - 2010, some proper banter and arguments. You are never going to get loads of people together and them all get on. As long as it is kept civil, that is the best you can hope for. I have no regrets about joining this group and the friends made far outweigh the number of tossers I have encountered.

H.

Are you still here ? :p

It's in jest Al. I think about 100 pot in 3 years, could be classed as being away.

H.

I was joking too ;)

2007-2010 probably were the golden years.

I joined just after you and my first few years of membership were amazing.

The forum was always busy, every section had chats going on, off topic was non stop too.

Was just great.

Was amazing how many bonds were created on those years with people we never actually met in person.

H.

In real life.

Are you still here ? :p

Only half heartedly, looking for opportunities to take the piss....:innocent:

Was amazing how many bonds were created on those years with people we never actually met in person.

True. Even better for those that did. I remember being really curious about certain folk and they didn't disappoint, besides Burna maybe.

In real life.

See above....:D

I understand perhaps the way Rider has gone about making his point might not have been the best way to do it. But there is some truth in what has been discussed in this thread. Members (and not just me) are calling for a review of the forum, the moderation team and events team. Im not entirely sure its been taken seriously by the current teams.
My request for assistance with the legitimate problem raised by Rider was a serious one. The responsibility for the maintenance of this site stops with me, and I have no problem with people raising concerns about the site as long as they are prepared to spend just as much time trying to fix the problem as they are ranting about it.

Back in 2014 I made the other moderators aware that I was going to be away from the forum for a good 18 months due to work commitments and moving into a smallholding which needed a lot of work. Unfortunately several many negative life changing events since then resulted in that leave of absence being repeatedly extended. Many people know why and I'll happily discuss this with anyone in person, but it's not something I need to justify in an open forum. Just be reassured the reasons are legitimate and it's not a case of, as one person put it, that I just can't be bothered anymore.

One thing that does grate with me a little though; back before my absence I spent literally hundreds of hours making sure this site would stay running with minimal maintenance whilst I was away. How many times since 2014 have you or anyone visited this site and it's not been available? Yes it's dated, yes it needs updating, yes it needs tidying... but the site has an impressive uptime which rivals that of companies with huge budgets for their sites. That's not me being big headed, nor am I after any sort of recognition or thanks for the time I spend/have spent on this site. Just bear in mind that web sites don't just keep working by magic, and that even when the front of house appears to be stagnating there is still time being spent dealing with web hosts, IP registrations, server backups, email problems, cease and desist notices which land in my inbox when a member on here decides to go and post something libellous about a company and they get their nickers in a twist about it... all of which I deal with to keep this site running whilst never actually appearing online on the forum.

But that's the past, what about the future?

We will be upgrading the forum at some point, but that isn't a trivial job. This site doesn't use a vanilla vBulletin software; we have 28 modifications installed and many template modifications which makes upgrading very risky. vBulletin days are numbered as far as I'm concerned. They have screwed me over too many times by needlessly changing how stuff works at the code level which then breaks the mods we run. 10 of the mods we run I wrote myself but if one of the others break then that can take hours of my time to fix. We went through a spate of over a year of vB updates breaking this site whilst offering no new features which benefited us, before I decided enough was enough and we wouldn't be upgrading to the latest vB release anymore but would instead just patch in security fixes for the version we have. So we will be looking to switch to a more reliable forum software which is more modern and upgrade friendly, and I want to avoid running any modifications so some features may be binned off. I've already started the time consuming task of auditing exactly what we have now and both Pete and I are investigating how we get from what we have to what we want with the least amount of interruption to the site. This is a huge undertaking and won't happen overnight.

With respects to the moderation teams, historically I would be involved in any shakeups along with the other super moderators. The reason I've not done anything this time is because I've been away for so long and therefore consider it inappropriate for me to wade in making decisions when I've not been keeping up with all that's been happening with the club. I know Branners has started the process but it takes time, so please be patient. If nothing has progressed by the time of the S Club Party, and I'm well enough to attend, then I'll make arrangements to meet with JB and the other moderators and try to get some decisions made there and then. If all else fails I'll just wade in and make changes and people will just have to like it or lump it. :p

So, in summary, everyone is free to make suggestions for change but if you're going to rant then make sure you're prepared to put the time into helping fix the problem or just don't bother posting. All of the moderators are aware that there are problems and we are working on resolving them, but we are all volunteers and sometimes life gets in the way of our good intentions, so please be patient.

My request for assistance with the legitimate problem raised by Rider was a serious one. The responsibility for the maintenance of this site stops with me, and I have no problem with people raising concerns about the site as long as they are prepared to spend just as much time trying to fix the problem as they are ranting about it.

Back in 2014 I made the other moderators aware that I was going to be away from the forum for a good 18 months due to work commitments and moving into a smallholding which needed a lot of work. Unfortunately several many negative life changing events since then resulted in that leave of absence being repeatedly extended. Many people know why and I'll happily discuss this with anyone in person, but it's not something I need to justify in an open forum. Just be reassured the reasons are legitimate and it's not a case of, as one person put it, that I just can't be bothered anymore.

One thing that does grate with me a little though; back before my absence I spent literally hundreds of hours making sure this site would stay running with minimal maintenance whilst I was away. How many times since 2014 have you or anyone visited this site and it's not been available? Yes it's dated, yes it needs updating, yes it needs tidying... but the site has an impressive uptime which rivals that of companies with huge budgets for their sites. That's not me being big headed, nor am I after any sort of recognition or thanks for the time I spend/have spent on this site. Just bear in mind that web sites don't just keep working by magic, and that even when the front of house appears to be stagnating there is still time being spent dealing with web hosts, IP registrations, server backups, email problems, cease and desist notices which land in my inbox when a member on here decides to go and post something libellous about a company and they get their nickers in a twist about it... all of which I deal with to keep this site running whilst never actually appearing online on the forum.

But that's the past, what about the future?

We will be upgrading the forum at some point, but that isn't a trivial job. This site doesn't use a vanilla vBulletin software; we have 28 modifications installed and many template modifications which makes upgrading very risky. vBulletin days are numbered as far as I'm concerned. They have screwed me over too many times by needlessly changing how stuff works at the code level which then breaks the mods we run. 10 of the mods we run I wrote myself but if one of the others break then that can take hours of my time to fix. We went through a spate of over a year of vB updates breaking this site whilst offering no new features which benefited us, before I decided enough was enough and we wouldn't be upgrading to the latest vB release anymore but would instead just patch in security fixes for the version we have. So we will be looking to switch to a more reliable forum software which is more modern and upgrade friendly, and I want to avoid running any modifications so some features may be binned off. I've already started the time consuming task of auditing exactly what we have now and both Pete and I are investigating how we get from what we have to what we want with the least amount of interruption to the site. This is a huge undertaking and won't happen overnight.

With respects to the moderation teams, historically I would be involved in any shakeups along with the other super moderators. The reason I've not done anything this time is because I've been away for so long and therefore consider it inappropriate for me to wade in making decisions when I've not been keeping up with all that's been happening with the club. I know Branners has started the process but it takes time, so please be patient. If nothing has progressed by the time of the S Club Party, and I'm well enough to attend, then I'll make arrangements to meet with JB and the other moderators and try to get some decisions made there and then. If all else fails I'll just wade in and make changes and people will just have to like it or lump it. :p

So, in summary, everyone is free to make suggestions for change but if you're going to rant then make sure you're prepared to put the time into helping fix the problem or just don't bother posting. All of the moderators are aware that there are problems and we are working on resolving them, but we are all volunteers and sometimes life gets in the way of our good intentions, so please be patient.

Great post Mawbs and the life gets in the way part is so true.

Do people think that we can just tell our bosses or families “oh I can’t do what you need me to do as I’ve got to go moderate a forum “, most of us don’t work 9-5 or have a finite amount of hours we work so when you’ve done a 13,14,15 hour day you tend to want to spend the remainder with your family or passing out in bed. You also can’t plan for illness, bereavements and anything that life throws at you which some people translate to “we can’t be bothered anymore”.

We are all here because we enjoy it and I’ve put my fair share of hours helping members out with queries or finding someone who can. No where near what you have though but just because you can’t see it doesn’t mean we aren’t doing things.

Some people will say well if you haven’t got the time then step down and let someone else do it, well unless you are a social recluse and don’t planning on having friends or family then we are all going to be in the same boat at some point.

I’m on here everyday at some point and am happy to help anyone that needs it but as is the way some people just like to moan without actually wanting anything and I’m afraid not even I can help those people.

Change is a coming people but like Mawbs says it’s not going to happen overnight but will be better organised than brexit :D

I kind of like the forum as it is, cant imagine the layout being much different, a modern app like setup weirds me out. Maybe a modern banner with a 3D logo would be cool.

Id personally like to see a HISTORY page added, prototype pictures etc, i have a few japanese mags here with some supra history i think needs to be part of the forum for the hardcore supra lovers.

I must admit that i do not go on our Supra site as much as some members do, and yes i do rush to get on the site when i have a problem i cannot solve, or i want to sell something, it's a bit like going to the doctors when you are ill, however i do occasionally enjoy the activities around our car experiences, and yes over the past decade i have had the agro, especially when i tried , out of a good experience, promoted Dr Jekyll. You can also unwittingly break the club rules, something like stating a price for a car or an item and offering ONO, it is not alowed, then a good member explains why it is not allowed, no problem. Anyway i have had 95% of good help and advice from members and kind comments in my hours of need, i think the club is great, yes may be needs some tweeks, but one thing i do not know is how many cars do we have left across the planet? for us to live on and maintain the core reason of why we are here?

It is fantastic and a credit for this long before it's time automobile to still hold it's own in a world where technology is mind blowing. Herbie.

There's a trait happening here, you seem to be unable to read what's actually written.

Show me where I said, that you said, members hate other members.

I'll take your apology on an open forum instead of a PM when ever you're ready this time.

Yes you did.

The proof is on your comment, see below circled in red :rlol:

You literally said those exact words, actually, it’s word for word!!

And you quoted me directly, so yes that does warrant a reply when you’re wrong.

Just so we’re clear, me telling you you’re wrong and informing you of your lies is not bullying.

[ATTACH]225592[/ATTACH]

In response to Mawbys post....

Strong!!

I actually really like the format and support offered by this forum.

Keep up he good work when you can, I certainly couldn't commit any time to becoming a Mod, or the upkeep of the platform behind the scenes.

It's all appreciated by this call sign - thanks

I'd personally like to see a HISTORY page added, prototype pictures etc, i have a few japanese mags here with some supra history i think needs to be part of the forum for the hardcore supra lovers.
Ok well why not do it then? I can see your useful parts group so you're obviously willing to put effort into making this place better. Create a thread in the members only section and start there. Once it's done I can move it into a public forum, sticky it, even add a menu link to it if people think it's worthwhile.

Ok well why not do it then? I can see your useful parts group so you're obviously willing to put effort into making this place better. Create a thread in the members only section and start there. Once it's done I can move it into a public forum, sticky it, even add a menu link to it if people think it's worthwhile.

Ok, will do. Its perfect timing as i have a month off. :thumbs:

There's a trait happening here, you seem to be unable to read what's actually written.

Show me where I said, that you said, members hate other members.

I'll take your apology on an open forum instead of a PM when ever you're ready this time.

Yeah there is a trait, but it’s you who’s unable to read.

Again, I’ve already shown you where you said that after directly quoting me, not sure if you know how quotes work.

Think you’re mistaken, I didn’t apologise to you because I thought you were right, in fact I never said I was wrong, I said sorry for carrying on and getting angry.

This time I’m not sorry, I’ve worked out who the bully is and you’re pathetic.

I’ve shown you for what you are, I’ve shown the forum too, it’s clear in black and white.

I don’t need an apology from you, you don’t matter to me, you mean nothing.

You’re not even a jolt in my daily life, that’s how little you mean to me.

I can do this all day long, if you want I can take another screenshot of your words and post them up for you to see again if you want??

I hadn't checked this thread for a long time as it got blown so far off topic I lost the will to but I was redirected back and I have to concur it seems to have finally managed some reasoned consideration and attempts to drag it somewhat back on topic. Simple things like changing the copyright date makes a big difference to the perception the site has some love. I have already passed onto Pete (being one of the few mods that frequents the forum these days) suggestions on how the web site and FB could be combined with segregated roles. Whether that gets discussed by the decision makers or binned I wouldn't know and don't expect to find out.

I've done years of personal and company website design, uploading and maintenance for two decades. My first personal sites way back when, the first was a car based site that was ranked in the top 1mn in the World; though I think there were only about 7mn websites indexed at that time. If any help is needed cleaning or maintaining the website then I'd be open to assist in that task. I have no experience with forum software but it cannot be that difficult to work out. I think it'd be really helpful for everyone if we are kept abreast of any evolution developments with site announcements as the majority of members don't attend events to have a finger on the pulse. A wider call for volunteers could be made with specific tasks or support roles in mind. Some would require an ongoing commitment and some, such as a tidy up or new topic area launch would be more term and task specific.

At least it's a brilliant time for the club to think about where it's going, especially with the impending launch of the MkV. Do we stick with just the MkIV having seen whats happened to the MkIII forum; that once was busy but it died.

If any help is needed cleaning or maintaining the website then I'd be open to assist in that task. I have no experience with forum software but it cannot be that difficult to work out.

See my previous post about going through the traders section and reviewing the current sticky threads throughout the forum, and let me know what needs changing. That doesn't require any knowledge of how forum software works. Pete and I can then continue to focus on the upgrade.