The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Does anyone actually care about this site any longer?

rider

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attaching to the thread is probably the easiest thing ever? you don't even need your own hosting.

Its shrinking the pic size for me, saving into extra folders etc its just a thing that imo could be better, Im by no means an IT expert though, I can play football manger like a Pro though :D

I don't use the Facebook site for the Supra club and probably never will, I have always thought if you are a car enthusiast then you go to that dedicated forum where the forum/club is paid for by the members of that club, not some free for all, everyone is welcome Facebook rubbish.

At least with a forum you get people dedicated to the cause. That said, I have been a member of this forum for over a decade and in the last 3 years I have seen a massive decline in not only active members but people who I would consider to be supra enthusiasts (maybe that is just my view on things).

I even stopped posting on my build thread because the response I was getting was pretty crap, it got to the point where I felt there was no point in spending up to an hour or more writing and posting images of what I have been up to with the car during the week or weekend.

I think an overhaul of this site could be good, no offense to the mods, but there has not been a change on here in 12+ years I have been on here, same images, same layout, its all looking very very dated now and is not going to attract new owners if the site looks like on first glance it was made 15 odd years ago.

I mean you look at the bottom of the site, no one has even bothered to update the "MKIV Supra owners club copy write date statement since 2012.

I would love to continue to share the development of my Supra, I have some pretty amazing things in development for it but I am discouraged to put anything up because of lack of interest and attention from the members, mods and traders.

Traders, there used to be a time you would be posting every day and bending over backwards to help fellow club enthusiasts, I can only think of one trader that does that now..

Many members will live your build thread, just quite a lot of members only blow smoke up “popular” members arses.

It’s like a cult following for some members :rlol:

Plus some, like myself try not to comment in build threads as I think it clogs them up and makes it harder to go through it all.

Why do you want/need interest and attention? Surely it should be a record of all your hard work and expense, not an ego massage?

I like the forum the way it is, all forums are in decline because of Facebook but you still get a couple of pages of new posts after a day at work

The same happened to the Dutch forum, due to the fact that everyone sells their stuff on Facebook now and 90% of the club is in the same Whatsapp group (perk of being a fairly small club I guess?). Most of the build progress ends on there, Facebook or Instagram. Sharing a quick update there is done in a few seconds. I absolutely love the build threads on here but to put my own updates on here I need to find some time that I never seem to have. And then ofcourse the "easier" platforms appeal massively to just dump some pics there and forget to update on here entirely. The social media is a massive improvement for meetings though, and there are more than ever of those now as a result of that. Along with the annual "quality" events which everyone went to anyway before the social media took over.

I found when you do a project thread its like baring your soul, open to ridicule or encouragement or disinterest and you have to be prepared for it all. Baring your soul does leave a bit of you behind for the future when people will be heading down the same path and they might hit on your word through a article search. My project was on refurbishment and as these cars get older big turbo builds are going to give way to thread on just keeping the cars roadworthy. I can't say I enjoyed doing the whole write up and picture size manipulation bit but I felt it could be informative and maybe even educational for others and that was motivation enough.

This forum is to often a clique though, I've seen the pack approach, against myself as well as against many others where the hyenas circle, giggle a lot together and howl a bit. That's probably a maturity thing at play though, or lack thereof. I don't see forums are about finding lifelong mates or organising socials for the vast majority of members and those who do participate in these events often lose sight of that. I'm more than happy for the social side to disappear off to FB or whatsapp which is what those formats were designed for. If you want to see a really busy forum go check out the USA based but global appeal MG forum. That forum look like shit but is rocking and they haven't been making proper MGs for near 40 years. There are no Las Vegas meets or anything like that its just people enjoying their car or asking for support. It must be because MG owners are all to old to have ever managed to grasp a smart phone, except for me of course.

I don’t think I ever seen a proper build thread being derailed here. Sure done people are going to say they don’t like a choice you made. Other than that no.

The south east blue water meet is a good example of our club. Granted I’ve been 3 times in 10 years but every time I did go I was made to feel welcome.

The guy who runs RetroRides has posted a video on Youtube of his views on this whole car forums 'thing'. It's long, but seems well considered. A lot of his comments seem applicable to this forum.

He makes some valid points I think the only plan of action is to blow up Facebook :eyebrows:

Why do you want/need interest and attention? Surely it should be a record of all your hard work and expense, not an ego massage?

If you are asking "do I only post because of an ego massage"... no I don't, you could not be further from the truth... Also I find that a quite a loaded question..

Picture this... you are with a bunch of petrol head mates at a pub, you bring up the subject of what you have been doing to your car over the weekend or whatever only to be met with utter silence... do you carry on talking about "yourself and what you done" or do you shut the hell up because no one seems to be interested... hmmm let me think. You are not going to bother to continue talking about it are you.

Let not forget the definition of a Forum - "a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged" i.e conversation...

It does not mean - "a record of hard work and expense".

Its not a loaded question at all. Before Club Aristo went belly up I had a good 80 page thread up about my Do Luck car build, and I updated it regardless of comments. It was a record of how far I'd come, nought to do with comments or activity on the thread.

To stop updating your work and efforts because of a lack of interest seems, to me, to be kind of pointless.

My opinion of course

Do i post up due to my ego now i`m "famous" hell yes!:D i love the attention and comments when i post up a new video or update on the car and i truly believe it keeps things interesting on the forum, as for blowing smoke? that hasn`t happened to me yet:innocent:

If you are asking "do I only post because of an ego massage"... no I don't, you could not be further from the truth... Also I find that a quite a loaded question..

Picture this... you are with a bunch of petrol head mates at a pub, you bring up the subject of what you have been doing to your car over the weekend or whatever only to be met with utter silence... do you carry on talking about "yourself and what you done" or do you shut the hell up because no one seems to be interested... hmmm let me think. You are not going to bother to continue talking about it are you.

Let not forget the definition of a Forum - "a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged" i.e conversation...

It does not mean - "a record of hard work and expense".

I have to say I agree with this completely, I have a build thread that I do update at each step but get fed up with lack of interest on forum. I only have to post few pictures up on Facebook and get lots of comments and questions and good or bad it’s nice chating about different opinions and ideas with other like mind people.

And I also agree with the comment about there does seem to be a cult following on this forum for certain members. They get treated like royalty and some haven’t even got a supra anymore.

That’s another point on this forum which really annoys me, it’s a supra forum not a skyline,GTR or bmw forum. I built a race prep RST years ago and she was the fastest 1.6 cvh builds on forum but after breaking the car, I don’t post up about my supra because it’s an RS owners group and I not an RST owner anymore.

Got to say I love this forum. I don't do Facebook and probably never will, I have no need for it at present. I don't post that often but that's generally because I feel I have nothing worthy to say other than encouragement to others about what they are doing and the odd 'help' which I have to say is always answered promptly with good info. so thanks :).

The information on this site as to what's wrong and how to fix it is totally invaluable. I love peoples build threads, I try to follow all of them and really appreciate the time and efforts that people put in to the builds, recording them and then uploading them to here, I find them the most encouraging way of trying to look at what I need to do to ensure my supra stays somewhat ok and what is needed to take it to the next level and that I can build a good machine if I put in the effort. I try to post on these threads to give posters encouragement as I know it helps them to put the posts up. However, I do understand when people find it discouraging when their efforts are not, as such recognised, as most of my own are pretty much not much commented on. It's not a problem to me as my posts aren't that interesting or involved but some of the good build threads on here must be very time consuming to write and load and let's be honest, in that situation it's nice to know your work and effort is recognised and appreciated, after all we all love our Supras. that's why we're here. So to those like MWS please keep posting up, your Supras are awesome and I for one would like to see more about them and will try to comment more on them :thumbs:.

Also, the friends I have made on here have really helped me keep going through the tough times. Whilst I was over in the Channel Islands this forum was all the real contact I had and now I'm back I can't wait to get involved with getting to meetings etc.

I don't know if the site needs an update or not as it is ok for my needs but I am an old git so younger members will know better than me. I do agree with some though as to ensuring that those running the club and this site are fully involved and active. This is easier said than done though as you need people who are willing to get involved and pick up the reigns, never an easy thing as it takes a lot of time and commitment. Having done various roles in the past for car clubs, I for one am very grateful for all the hard work people do for this club.

So, yes, I care about this site and think although traffic may have gone down it will be mainly through our cars becoming rarer and most being kept in a good(ish) condition professionally and the work we need to do ourselves we can find by using the search button (yes, I know where it is :D) and so therefore not so many help threads.

Quite an interesting thread going though this, and I don't think any of the points haven't already been recognised. At the meets allot of the members, mods included, mention that things are due a change, and from what I'm aware of, something is in the pipe line. But people have lives outside this place so must be very difficult to undertake a big shake up.

The video posted a few post back was quite interesting, and Photobucket destroying forums certainly has a part to play, however I wouldn't say its as true here. I don't see the same quantity of threads with dead urls in them compared to other forums.

For me I think its due to the usability, 'crapatalk' is god awful, but I use it as there isn't really another option. Along side this the picture uploading is a pain in the ass here, people in this day and age always favour the easy route, so to click upload from your phone and have it uploaded to a FB page seems preferable for some. I personally still love the forum and always try to check in each day even if I don't post as often as I once did.

The build thread discussion is a little different, the 'cult' following that some people mention is always going to exists, but for me the build threads are more about documenting the history of the car for future use, and maybe inspire a few people along the way, along with other people in the community to have input into a build/problem solve if an issue arises.

On the point of the place needing a tidy up, that is certainly true, plenty of bits that need to be cleaned up, traders that are no longer about, and pinned posts etc is certainly something that needs to be addressed, maybe some fresh blood to join the mod team on the yacht would help this.

The thing I always find funny about this subject is that when a big event like 'the S-club party' takes place it doesn't feel much different imo than it did when I joined 8 years ago. Everyone is always very welcoming, I remember walking around my first Suprapod talking to members I had never met or even spoke to over the forum, 90% were very friendly and approachable and I personally think that still rings true to this day.

We all have a part to play in keeping the place alive, I find it irritating that I see a big portion of old time members on social media bitching that this place is dying/dead, and that is why they don't post anymore, well guess what, that in turn is causing it to die quicker. Get off FB, instagram, snapchat blah blah blah and come on here from time to time, welcome new members, organise some gatherings, help with problem solving and post about your builds.

Quite an interesting thread going though this, and I don't think any of the points haven't already been recognised. At the meets allot of the members, mods included, mention that things are due a change, and from what I'm aware of, something is in the pipe line. But people have lives outside this place so must be very difficult to undertake a big shake up.

The video posted a few post back was quite interesting, and Photobucket destroying forums certainly has a part to play, however I wouldn't say its as true here. I don't see the same quantity of threads with dead urls in them compared to other forums.

For me I think its due to the usability, 'crapatalk' is god awful, but I use it as there isn't really another option. Along side this the picture uploading is a pain in the ass here, people in this day and age always favour the easy route, so to click upload from your phone and have it uploaded to a FB page seems preferable for some. I personally still love the forum and always try to check in each day even if I don't post as often as I once did.

The build thread discussion is a little different, the 'cult' following that some people mention is always going to exists, but for me the build threads are more about documenting the history of the car for future use, and maybe inspire a few people along the way, along with other people in the community to have input into a build/problem solve if an issue arises.

On the point of the place needing a tidy up, that is certainly true, plenty of bits that need to be cleaned up, traders that are no longer about, and pinned posts etc is certainly something that needs to be addressed, maybe some fresh blood to join the mod team on the yacht would help this.

The thing I always find funny about this subject is that when a big event like 'the S-club party' takes place it doesn't feel much different imo than it did when I joined 8 years ago. Everyone is always very welcoming, I remember walking around my first Suprapod talking to members I had never met or even spoke to over the forum, 90% were very friendly and approachable and I personally think that still rings true to this day.

We all have a part to play in keeping the place alive, I find it irritating that I see a big portion of old time members on social media bitching that this place is dying/dead, and that is why they don't post anymore, well guess what, that in turn is causing it to die quicker. Get off FB, instagram, snapchat blah blah blah and come on here from time to time, welcome new members, organise some gatherings, help with problem solving and post about your builds.

Agree 100% jake :thumbs:

I think technology also plays a huge part.

Years ago, access was via a computer only, so more people probably spent more time in one go on the site commenting on many threads than they do now as access is extremely easy and quick on a phone.

Thats so true.

I think technology also plays a huge part.

Years ago, access was via a computer only, so more people probably spent more time in one go on the site commenting on many threads than they do now as access is extremely easy and quick on a phone.

Agreed, most of the reading now done on tablets and phones therefore makes replying a chore so unless on a PC I tend not to bother :D

We all see that the interactive footfall on the forum has declined to a trickle in spite of Mk4 ownership never being higher in the UK. The site does have a distinctly dated feel and showing a lack of maintenance which might not be attracting new participants.

There are group buy stickies from years ago and trader sections from 'membership expired' traders and in this section we have the essential 'recommend me android apps' from 2010. I have no idea if anyone is tasked with site development and maintenance but it has the feel of terminal decline about it. There was talk of new blood and revamp last year but there is no apparent sign of it. I do hope the site does remain open and available for an archive reference of technical information if nothing else but it could just become a zombie site with cobwebs clearly on show until it finally becomes phone browser incompatible.

I've sat back and watched this thread with some interest as I have with many you have made and commented on in recent times and I would counter with this:

You joined in 2009, I joined in 2005.

In that time, how many events have you attended and therefore contributed to?

How many JAEs? How many Suprapods? How many Dragonballs? How many Wroxalls? Dragoncols?

What have you contributed to this forum, this group, this club?

What time have you set aside to make it better, make it healthier, contribute to club funds?

In all that time I see little if anything bar criticism and negativity. If you see a problem, offer a solution not a whinge or a whine. Those who seek only to pull down or see problems are of no use to anyone as they only add to the 'problem' and most definitely don't solve or better anything.

Many, many fine people behind the scenes strive to make this forum and this club the fine testament it is to the Supra name and the owning of such an historic car. They give their time willingly, their money willingly and seek nothing more than seeing a group of people either enjoying the marque or enjoying each other's shared interest of it as reward enough and yet, and yet, you sit back offering nothing, doing nothing and ask does anyone care!

Do YOU care?

Do you care enough to give up a huge chunk of your free time for no other reason than others will benefit or are you happy to attend one event in 9 years and then sit there on your keyboard like some sort of forum and self-appointed Supra oracle deriding and casting negativity on all those who have?!

In all my years on here I've never seen you at anything or heard of you mentioned at any event or meet and yet you seem to have elevated yourself to MKIV Protector; offering comments on values and originality and others' For Sale threads.

Who the f*ck are you?! Put your money where your mouth is Rider. Take a sh1t or get off the pot.