The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Will you ever sell your Supra ?

mplavery

No plans to sell ever.  We've had both ours 19 years now.  They have far too much sentimental value and we're even looking to move so we can give them a nice double garage(bed) together.

The prices these days are a little terrifying, given we have a stockish UK manual and a facelift aerotop which are probably the rarest models I wonder what they'll be worth in the future. But it's academic, they are family. 

• Like 3

I thought I’d never sell and I was thinking that only a year ago but here we are. My life has changed so much I can’t begin to describe but that’s life. People change, life changes and it makes you want to do different things. To do these things I need to put it up for sale. If I was a millionaire then I probably wouldn’t sell but I don’t want it enough anymore to have all my cash tied up in it.

• Like 1

Nope. 

It was due to playing Gran Turismo on the original PlayStation in 1998 that made my fall in love with a Supra and I promised myself that I would get one. 15 years later, about a month after my wife and I found out that we were expecting our first child, I bought my Supra 😁. We already had the family car so she couldn't complain.

After 8 years of ownership, I still love modifying it and making it my own. It's a part of my life. 

I would have to be offered an absolutely stupid amount of money for me to even consider selling. Not because I'm greedy, but due to all the research, work, time and effort that I have put in to make it my own. I know that I am never going to be offered such an amount and I honestly do not believe that I would actually go ahead with a sale anyway as I would instantly regret it, so selling is not on my radar.

• Like 2

ive listed mine for over the top money, partly in hope that nobody pays it, however if they do or get close then ill sell it, ive only done 500miles this year since owning it, its amazing, currently building a 2jz vvti rear engine Mr2, once this is complete ill probably want to drive this as its modified and a project car that will always be worked on which i enjoy a lot, current supra I don't wish to modify as its way to nice, ( apart from wheels and suspension easy to revert). so lets see

its funny ive listed it high on the above reason, so many people have gave me the laughing face on facebook as to be expect maybe?

c1ac64dd-5c55-43ca-b9e5-d571d5c0928a.jpg

e43e889a-8fad-4ac3-aa6c-3e7212bdf88b.jpg

8fe3db69-5b93-410b-9a91-6f2a5a293e79.jpg

0eedf5cb-570e-4ba7-82f3-e30c8ffcce06.jpg

f1348f31-9eaf-4301-b2c7-a479939a774f.jpg

Edited by Shane34 (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, Shane34 said:

ive listed mine for over the top money, partly in hope that nobody pays it, however if they do or get close then ill sell it, ive only done 500miles this year since owning it, its amazing, currently building a 2jz vvti rear engine Mr2, once this is complete ill probably want to drive this as its modified and a project car that will always be worked on which i enjoy a lot, current supra I don't wish to modify as its way to nice, ( apart from wheels and suspension easy to revert). so lets see

its funny ive listed it high on the above reason, so many people have gave me the laughing face on facebook as to be expect maybe?

c1ac64dd-5c55-43ca-b9e5-d571d5c0928a.jpg

e43e889a-8fad-4ac3-aa6c-3e7212bdf88b.jpg

8fe3db69-5b93-410b-9a91-6f2a5a293e79.jpg

0eedf5cb-570e-4ba7-82f3-e30c8ffcce06.jpg

f1348f31-9eaf-4301-b2c7-a479939a774f.jpg

You will always get keyboard warriors on Facebook .. that’s what I’d do when the time comes.. top money or not at all lol What spec and how much you selling it for 

that MR2 will be crazy ! Kinda still miss my old MR2 😂 

Twin turbo auto, was origonal a NA

54k miles on the chassis

100k miles on the engine

50k miles on turbos auto box shafts diff etc.

full nut and bolt rebuild.

hks hyper max suspenion 300miles old

custom rims 10 fronts,11.5 rears 18inch, Ar1 Tryes all round, 300miles on these.

hks exhaust

immaculate and detailed underside, listed for 45k

Edited by Shane34 (see edit history)

I've thought about selling a few times but only for a couple of minutes at a time.

The missus told me years ago that it was my job to look after the Supra so it looks as if we'll keep it for good now.

We're now at the stage in life where we actually consider the Supra every time we move house, i.e. suitable storage, access, roads etc.

That said, I've not got a clue how much it is worth these days.

Looks like it's staying, lol.

10 hours ago, SupraAyf said:

I've thought about selling a few times but only for a couple of minutes at a time.

The missus told me years ago that it was my job to look after the Supra so it looks as if we'll keep it for good now.

We're now at the stage in life where we actually consider the Supra every time we move house, i.e. suitable storage, access, roads etc.

That said, I've not got a clue how much it is worth these days.

Looks like it's staying, lol.

You've got the Top Secret car if I recall.

I agree, that would be very different proposition and likely to command very silly money to the right collector.

On 8/4/2021 at 1:13 PM, rider said:

I've often written about peak Supra (price) and we are approaching what I have regarded for many years as the probable peak of the market before the demand for all but the very best examples begins to slip for a good many reasons from demographics of buyers, affordability, sustainability as parts dry up and fuel availability. We could even see hydrocarbon powered vehicles all but outlawed from towns and cities by Labour cosmopolitan authorities backed by excitable Green councillors to improve air and noise pollution. So, if money talks to you, its not going to get a great deal louder than it will in the coming two years and its always easiest to sell just a little bit before the market peaks.

I highlighted one section which I 100% agree with and the same goes for lots of classic cars if not all 

You've probably seen this. 

https://europe.ryder.com/clean-air-zones

14 hours ago, mwilkinson said:

You've got the Top Secret car if I recall.

I agree, that would be very different proposition and likely to command very silly money to the right collector.

Yes, that's right, the TS Final Evolution Supra with a T51R.

You've got a very good memory 🙂

All the best,

Andrew

• Like 1

I don't think I'll ever sell mine, it's my childhood dream car. I wanted one ever since seeing an advert of a black one in a magazine my dad brought home for me one week back in 1993 and now i own one, I know I'd instantly regret it once I'd sold it.

I'll continue to work on it and keep making improvements, plus I have a 6 month old son now and am looking forward to enjoying the car with him in future.

4 hours ago, jim_supra said:

plus I have a 6 month old son now and am looking forward to enjoying the car with him in future.

I can't fit my 2 year old and my Mrs comfortably, she is 1.70m tall and her knees are bent against the dash, not really that safe either.  An excuse to go out with my son alone for a few hours but we aren't planning any long trips

2 minutes ago, MrGRT said:

I can't fit my 2 year old and my Mrs comfortably, she is 1.70m tall and her knees are bent against the dash, not really that safe either.  An excuse to go out with my son alone for a few hours but we aren't planning any long trips

Guess the wife's got a limited time in the car then! 😃

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slugger1 said:

It still gets so much attention so I doubt if I will ever sell it unless someone offers me silly money for it.

This is bothering me slightly, i had a standing ovation from 4 lads at the garage the other day. Ive also come back to the car and had people taking photos of it. Worst of all i had an army of asian students photo me to death in Canterbury.

I dont like the attention at all  

Edited by The Raven (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve sold mine years ago, and finally came back last December with a different unit, now you can go back on your decision and purchase another, but in the future if the prices go crazy…

Ahhh this cars are unique and give you really special things, if you ask me now the Supra its something to keep in my garage forever 🙂

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 8/5/2021 at 11:09 PM, MattP said:

Meh it can stay for me I would want atleast 30k which seems to be top tier VVTI Tiptronic money atm.

That's not a life altering sum of money so no real benefit to selling as there is nothing interesting for that money to replace it. 

For me anyway... 

Not to mention I couldn't be arsed with all the best price bell sprouts these cars attract when selling. 

Very similar to myself, 30k is what i reckon i'd get for my tip as well. I've had mine for 11 years now but in the last 2-3 years i haven't used it. Thats more that i started riding bikes and was out riding them instead of working on or driving the cars. Then extra costs i could spend on the Supra have been taken by my firstborn and as i started collecting parts to get her back on the road a second is on the way. House is also in progress so worst case scenario with rising building costs I'd have to sell the car to finish it. I guess thats the only reason ill sell it but as it is i'll be keeping it, tip away at giving it a good refresh and finally using it.

I know it's a one way ticket one so I just hold off selling. I get my head turned by the odd car now the prices are higher but not enough to switch.

It's not the same now re spares and a smashed side window or minor bump and parts can be hard to come by or extortionate, so potentially more stressful owning one than days gone by?

Not sure I could buy one at current prices if I was out of the market, I'd love a manual NA but I'd find it very hard paying over £20K for one. If I sold my manual 645 V8 I 'might' get £7K so 3 times more, just can't justify it. 

The other sunny weekend though and I dusted her off for a stag do, driving it home friday from work sat at temporary traffic lights window slightly down I get a "is that a Supra" shout from someone going the other way, Saturday on the M27 heading to karting I get a wave of acknowledgement from a guy in a GT2 RS Porsche (all £300k of it!). Arrive at the karting and two staff come out to chat about it. Sunday the biker photographer at Bury Hill in Sussex takes a snap of it, which I bought a few days later...........it just has a certain something, I think just seeing one can give some people a mini buzz and I definitely got one taking it out again.

The value doesn't really matter to me, I mean it's nice it's more valuable and I sometimes think of getting a new GT(R)86 or a Mkv Supra in a year or two when it might be a straight swap, but right now i'm staying put. Buying in at the lower prices makes it easier to use and not worry, if I lost it all now i've had my value from it, if I'd paid over £20K it would smart to lose all that.

Reminiscing a bit here, but I can't think of anything in the car market today comparable to what the was Supra was like in say 2004/5, what top end performance car is remotely cheap these days?  looking back it was criminally under rated/valued back then but glad it was as it let me get on the Supra Journey back in 2000/01, ok I can't swap every year these days but at least I could then.......feel so lucky. 

52 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Reminiscing a bit here, but I can't think of anything in the car market today comparable to what the was Supra was like in say 2004/5, what top end performance car is remotely cheap these days?  looking back it was criminally under rated/valued back then but glad it was as it let me get on the Supra Journey back in 2000/01, ok I can't swap every year these days but at least I could then.......feel so lucky. 

No i dont think so, we where buying these cars for peanuts back then. I am often tempted to sell and look for something else, nothing under 15k is really going to match up close.