The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Will you ever sell your Supra ?

mplavery

I don't have any plans as such to sell the Supra, but knowing that ULEZ will be expanded to cover the part of London where i live in, will certainly make me use it even less next year....not even sure what the solution is, other than to bend over and write off say £120 a month to drive it once a week each month in the evening and coming home after midnight 😞

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/6/2022 at 12:00 AM, rider said:

I had the same predicament when I sold my MkIII Supra for a BMW 7 series to accommodate the arriving and growing kids and hated it, so I got rid of the BMW and bought my MkIV Supra for myself and a new 4 door car for the wife. Where there is a will, there is usually a way.

I have other cars, just believe that a cars meant to be driven. On a weekend trip out i dont want to drive a cheap diesel daily, i want to drive the nice car. Having kids means most journeys out are in said 4 door 4 seat cars and i get to go out on my own once a month if im lucky. 

Its a shame really but i could own an f80 m3, for example and have the best of both worlds.

• 3 weeks later...

How do/did you feel about it?    Not surprised it sold, it's still a big chunk of cash but compared to the over £20K NA's it's a very good deal for someone.

Just out of interest which one of your other cars is your favourite?

6 minutes ago, fastphil666 said:

I decided recently that i lm bored of runs out on my own. They very few and far between as it was. Having something nice sat in the garage is ok but making memories with my family is more important to me

I agree with this. 

To be honest, my kids have been calling me out on how much time I spend doing stuff on the car and despite what I said last August, I have contemplated selling, only because that I don't know whether I will stop modding and changing things. I have not decided for sure yet, but I am weighing up how much I want to do to get it to a point where I can say "ok I can stop now" and how long is going to take/much work I need to do to get there.

IF I do decide to, then I will probably get another fast and fun Toyota/Lexus, as we already have the family car, but I will get something that I won't need to do anything to or, if I do decide to mod it, then it won't be a mod that will take months of planning and collecting of parts. We'll see... 

44 minutes ago, fastphil666 said:

I decided recently that i lm bored of runs out on my own. They very few and far between as it was. Having something nice sat in the garage is ok but making memories with my family is more important to me

That is great mate. Sometimes we forget what is important.

Out of interest, what are you thinking to replace the supra with? M3?

I think the recent price rises have made us all think a bit at times. Fastphil has not taken the Mick with the price and sold it without much advertising, just wanted some more than the p/x offer and got it.  

Mines a bit more tatty than his, so I just convince myself it'll be a tough sell as is, but really I know it has to sell at the NA advertised prices level which is still very healthy!  Bit of a crossroads 1) lack of use, value high so sell, vs you love it, what would you do with the money, you might never have another.

I think after all this time I'd be ok with either, but right now sitting tight and just trying to use it as much as possible. 

I think i priced it realistically, i still made a very tasty profit. Parts have become ridiculously expensive and owners spares are being locked away to make money. I never bought the supra as an investment, it was always a dream car. Great that it made a profit and ive enjoyed every drive in it. As you get older and your circle of friends get married and have kids your priorities change. Im probably after an e90 m3 or possibly an f80 m3? E90 has probably stopped depreciating and the enginea are glorious. F80 is a lot of car sub 30k that fulfills my needs.

I regretted selling it as it drove away, i hid behind the garage door, short of a lottery win, i'll probably never buy another. The price into supra's is just too high.

• Like 1

I'm in 2 minds to sell mine. I've had the thought in the back of my mind for years that I want to try other toys but I've made so many memories in my supra that I know I'd regret it. In the past 10 months alone I've spent just under 17k on the underside resto and bits n bobs and I only did this in the hope that it would make me fall back in love with the car, in reality it hasn't and I'm back where I was before I did it all. I guess I'm just bored of it tbh. That and I really want an r8 or 911 turbo, decisions decisions 🤔 

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone who may care, i sold the supra 3 weeks ago now. I have 'replaced' it with an f82 m4. Very similar proposition to the supra, maybe a supra of the 2010's?? Straight 6, twin turbo, dct gearbox similar size and weight. I only say "replaced" as the supra was a car id always wanted. The m4 is better than the supra in every measurable way but that's what they call progress i guess. Biggest thing for me is that we went on a family jaunt today in the cool car a thing my supra couldnt manage.

20220618_141959.jpg

20220618_152821.jpg

20220619_163917.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fastphil666 said:

For anyone who may care, i sold the supra 3 weeks ago now. I have 'replaced' it with an f82 m4. Very similar proposition to the supra, maybe a supra of the 2010's?? Straight 6, twin turbo, dct gearbox similar size and weight. I only say "replaced" as the supra was a car id always wanted. The m4 is better than the supra in every measurable way but that's what they call progress i guess. Biggest thing for me is that we went on a family jaunt today in the cool car a thing my supra couldnt manage.

20220618_141959.jpg

20220618_152821.jpg

20220619_163917.jpg

Definitely not a patch on the Supra in the looks and sound department, but I guess that's subjective. 

Cool that you can get the family in and enjoy a good drive at the same time. 

BMW never make pretty cars, in my opinion whereas i always regarded the Supra as a car with a personality, pleasing to the eye and one that has become an established  timeless classic. 

If you look at the BMW's from the 80's and early 90's they look very much stranded in their era. So, for me BMW's are invariably a fashion statement of their time. The BMW 4 has had 5 recalls, the Mk4 Supra had none so not sure that counts as design and engineering progress. One is a motoring icon, the other likely won't become one. Useable rear seats though, that really is a bonus.

1992_bmw_325_1586182487221e9d363e2fe1992-BMW-325-29-of-112-606736946.jpg

• Like 1

Im not in anyway trying to do down the supra's, i still love them. Im also very aware the price of them now is above what id personally spend on one. So for my time in life, with having kids im going to enjoy being able to use my fun car rather than having it garaged.

• Like 1

I absolutely love my Supra despite having ultimately never had trouble free motoring with it. 

After circa 8 years I'm finally there. Running 800hp through a v161 and it's fantastic and works as it should!! 

SO WHY do I keep considering selling it?!?!

I think the one thing holding me back is knowing that compared to what it's cost and compared to what I'd want next, I'd get very little for it. 

I think the other thing holding me back is that any of the replacements I want will inevitably depreciate where as at least with the Supra I'm unlikely to lose more than I already have