The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Will you ever sell your Supra ?

mplavery

I know a lot of you like myself have had there Supra's at least 10 years + and just wondered what your future plans for it is ?

Ive owned my Supra for 16 years and done most of things i wanted to do with the car with shows, mag feature etc 

I still enjoy driving it to meets but im using the car less and less and i think its just a matter of time for me when i sell it 

If the value of the car was 10-15k id be happy keeping it but seeing some Supra's in the 50k mark makes me really think where i could put that money to better use then for it to be sitting in the garage lol

suprastudio1.jpg

• Like 1

Somebody at a Mustang meet last year genuinely offered me 40k for mine. Although i never want to sell the car it made me think.

I reckon if he offered 45k i'd have seriously considered it.

I had to sell my previous 2 supras due to circumstances. Ideally now i'd keep mine forever.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Somebody at a Mustang meet last year genuinely offered me 40k for mine. Although i never want to sell the car it made me think.

I reckon if he offered 45k i'd have seriously considered it.

I had to sell my previous 2 supras due to circumstances. Ideally now i'd keep mine forever.

Funny enough i was offered 40k not so long ago too. Had to really think hard to let it go or not lol

I've often written about peak Supra (price) and we are approaching what I have regarded for many years as the probable peak of the market before the demand for all but the very best examples begins to slip for a good many reasons from demographics of buyers, affordability, sustainability as parts dry up and fuel availability. We could even see hydrocarbon powered vehicles all but outlawed from towns and cities by Labour cosmopolitan authorities backed by excitable Green councillors to improve air and noise pollution. So, if money talks to you, its not going to get a great deal louder than it will in the coming two years and its always easiest to sell just a little bit before the market peaks.

• Like 1

If I see an opportunity to sell for something that I would be happy to replace it with (ideally at the bottom of it's appreciation curve) then yeah, absolutely. Problem is there's little out there that appeals to me in the same price range. Saw an LS swapped 240Z on eBay last week that genuinely had me thinking for a while and that's been about it.

It'll be a tough day though, I've been through a lot with this old piece of metal

Edited by Style (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Realistically yes, but I guess it depends on my situation in the future. I don't think I'll be able to daily it 20 years from now if the scarcity and cost of parts keeps going up. And my house only has room for 1 car. If I move to somewhere with a garage I can see myself keeping it indefinitely. Mine's only an NA so not worth stupid money but there's also the worry of thievery/damages in the back of my mind too because the insurance will probably give me 50p if it gets destroyed. I sometimes think life would be easier with something less cool.

• Like 1

I keep deciding that I am going to/should and welcome offers on it, but then I can't bring myself to actually do it. The offers have peaked at 55k so far, which is a great sum and would really be handy, especially with my family circumstances changing combined with hardly using it anymore.

Something always holds me back from actually going through with it though - perhaps it is the regret I have had from selling a couple of really rare guitars and a couple of years down the line wishing I just held onto them as I'll never get them again unless I shell out way more; I guess the Supra and the ever-rising market is a bit of a mirror of that.

• Like 1

Given that mine couldn't currently be in more bits its an entirely academic question, but I know I'll never sell mine.

I walked away from Supra ownership for around a year in 2013 with the intention of buying something better and couldn't stop looking at them.

I'm known by many friends and family for my association with the Supra.  It's now just part of my life.

I'm also committing an obscene amount of money to fully restoring my car, which isn't something I'll realistically ever get back from selling or would arguably ever be able to buy again.

So I think I'll just continue to enjoy mine, regardless of its value, or how many bits it's in 😁

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, James said:

I keep deciding that I am going to/should and welcome offers on it, but then I can't bring myself to actually do it. The offers have peaked at 55k so far, which is a great sum and would really be handy, especially with my family circumstances changing combined with hardly using it anymore.

Something always holds me back from actually going through with it though - perhaps it is the regret I have had from selling a couple of really rare guitars and a couple of years down the line wishing I just held onto them as I'll never get them again unless I shell out way more; I guess the Supra and the ever-rising market is a bit of a mirror of that.

Im kinda the same, its on my mind and have good reasons for selling due to lake of use etc but something holding me back .. ive been through a lot with the car and know it be tough to bite the bullet. If someone offered me 55k i would have to have a very hard think of good reasons not get rid of it.. 

• Like 1

I haven't owned mine for very long at in comparison to many of you here (3.5 years NA, 1.5 years TT6), but I won't unless forced to do so, and even in that instance hopefully it'd only need to be one. I adore driving my NA daily, so it'd have to be an extremely difficult situation that'd change me not having at least one. 

I'm well aware that once I get a bit older (only turned 22 in June) i'll have to move out and 'become a proper adult' lol, but I'm already saving ahead for that etc., so fingers crossed I won't encounter anything that'll force a sale. Also, I haven't really driven my TT6 and had that experience yet as it's a stock RZ-S on 16's, whereas my NA has UK brakes, 17's, Bilsteins & Eibachs etc., so to drive it's a much more enjoyable experience (except for power). At the moment i'm just buying parts to put them all at once (hopefully spring next year) and start using her as well. The only time I could see me maybe letting go is if the TT6 hits 911 996.2/997 GT3 or Aston DBS money (fat chance of that happening, I know!)

I can understand though why some who have seen their cars double, triple and even quadruple in price would be considering selling, especially if not being used often.

• Like 3

Drove mine to Thruxton today to go karting with my nipper, it's just so nice to drive, low miles and 'tight' but a bit tatty on the outside which would keep the sale price down so I just don't see the point right now as where am i going to get my kicks from. I'm more confident in its solidity than anything else modern that's as/more brisk and in the same price range?

It might go if I lose my general car mojo.

• Like 3

Someone comes along with near 30k? Mines gone. 

I have loved it and hated it for many years, met loads of great people with it and a few douche bags, but when i brought it it was to be used as a toy. Something to mod, drive and not worry about.

Now its a proper princess that sees 2000 miles a year and im scared to park it in places.  Its my weekend car but its increasing value and lack of parts is scary. I guess i cant justify having a 30k toy sat on the drive.

Edited by The Raven (see edit history)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Tyson said:

It's a real tough one, I guess for me it will take a change in circumstances i.e. Starting a family, to really get me thinking about seriously selling it or someone making an offer that I can't refuse. 

That's the reason I sold mine. 

Believe me, after a few years when the kids go to school and all that, you will be looking for another one. 😁

• Like 2

I've been without a Supra once before for nearly a year & it's hard.

The fact is, not many cars out there that give you the same thrill, sensation and joy that a Supra has to offer. 

Maybe I'm just too proud owning a Supra 🤔

The only thing that will make me sell is if my circumstances change I.e getting a house/new career etc.

I'm 27 now, I have my savings & it would be a really last resort & I'd do everything in my power to not ever have to use the Supra to fund my first house.

Edited by Supra2jze (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I never buy my cars for the money they make. I buy them, build what I want then move on. Once they get to a certain point and I can't justify to myself spending thousands more I sell. 🙂 The only one I've regretted selling so far was the F&F build, but that was more due to the rareness of the parts it had. 

13 hours ago, trinitom said:

That's the reason I sold mine. 

Believe me, after a few years when the kids go to school and all that, you will be looking for another one. 😁

Doubt it, given the current price trajectory I'd have to win the lottery to get another 😄 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JamieP said:

I think they have a fair way to go up in value yet, I think you’d kick yourself in a few years if you sold it now. 

Another reason why I haven't. We are in a strange place at the moment where prices are still increasing but the governments green agenda may impact that. I'll re-evaluate in 4 years when they decide what they are doing with super unleaded. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JamieP said:

I think they have a fair way to go up in value yet, I think you’d kick yourself in a few years if you sold it now. 

I’m happy to keep it for a while yet..I’m in no rush at all but a nice extension on the house be nice lol.. or I would do a new 3 car garage at the back of the garden but it be one less car in there so not sure it would be needed lol

I was even planning on single turbo next year to get me back into the car scene a bit more

just with all this fuel change over and emissions I worry a little doing it

just seen one TT6 advertise at £60k now lol

Edited by mplavery (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Meh it can stay for me I would want atleast 30k which seems to be top tier VVTI Tiptronic money atm.

That's not a life altering sum of money so no real benefit to selling as there is nothing interesting for that money to replace it. 

For me anyway... 

Not to mention I couldn't be arsed with all the best price bell sprouts these cars attract when selling. 

Edited by MattP (see edit history)
  • Like 2