The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Will you ever sell your Supra ?

mplavery

5 hours ago, Scooter said:

I know it's a one way ticket one so I just hold off selling. I get my head turned by the odd car now the prices are higher but not enough to switch.

It's not the same now re spares and a smashed side window or minor bump and parts can be hard to come by or extortionate, so potentially more stressful owning one than days gone by?

Not sure I could buy one at current prices if I was out of the market, I'd love a manual NA but I'd find it very hard paying over £20K for one. If I sold my manual 645 V8 I 'might' get £7K so 3 times more, just can't justify it. 

The other sunny weekend though and I dusted her off for a stag do, driving it home friday from work sat at temporary traffic lights window slightly down I get a "is that a Supra" shout from someone going the other way, Saturday on the M27 heading to karting I get a wave of acknowledgement from a guy in a GT2 RS Porsche (all £300k of it!). Arrive at the karting and two staff come out to chat about it. Sunday the biker photographer at Bury Hill in Sussex takes a snap of it, which I bought a few days later...........it just has a certain something, I think just seeing one can give some people a mini buzz and I definitely got one taking it out again.

The value doesn't really matter to me, I mean it's nice it's more valuable and I sometimes think of getting a new GT(R)86 or a Mkv Supra in a year or two when it might be a straight swap, but right now i'm staying put. Buying in at the lower prices makes it easier to use and not worry, if I lost it all now i've had my value from it, if I'd paid over £20K it would smart to lose all that.

Reminiscing a bit here, but I can't think of anything in the car market today comparable to what the was Supra was like in say 2004/5, what top end performance car is remotely cheap these days?  looking back it was criminally under rated/valued back then but glad it was as it let me get on the Supra Journey back in 2000/01, ok I can't swap every year these days but at least I could then.......feel so lucky. 

Had the same at karting at Three Sisters last weekend, they had a F&F there for driving days but liked my unmodifed more. It's a bit mad.

It's so rare to see one out and about now, I regularly travel up and down through Petworth, a frequent route to Goodwood and see all manner of special stuff and very rarely a Supra. Not sure about everyone else but general sightings have really dropped off for me in recent years.

15 hours ago, Scooter said:

It's so rare to see one out and about now, I regularly travel up and down through Petworth, a frequent route to Goodwood and see all manner of special stuff and very rarely a Supra. Not sure about everyone else but general sightings have really dropped off for me in recent years.

I took my car off SORN today and went for a 30 mile B road thrash. That second turbo grunt could get addictive. Roads were busy so lots got to see a Supra out and about around here today. I expect they won't see another for a long time.

Makes me sad to think people use them less due to their price.

It justifies spending more on it for me. I don't understand the oem thing. If its modified and returned to oem then painted, its still modified in my head.

If I were investing in an oem setup, I'd want it original. Not, looking like an original.

I think people should enjoy them still, if they are enthusiasts.

Don't see many builds these days, just price hunting or part searching.

Would never sell mine as I know I would regret it after! If I ever did though it would have to be a very impressive offer to even start to get me thinking! 

I use mine regularly and still enjoy driving it and the attention it gets, i always take it off the road over winter as hate driving it around on the salty roads! 
I also quite often see one or two supra's driving about round my way. I have also spotted one not far from where I live, someone has a lovely big  garage which has a lift in it with a nice looking silver supra in there. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Swampy442 said:

If the worst happens and you lose it in an accident then what? I understand why people dont use them.

Would I sell mine, yes, in a heartbeat for the right price.

I'd build another.

I have the same mindset if someone offered me silly money for it. I'd go make another one.

I would sell mine, not at the moment as what I fancy is not yet obtainable. I sold one and have not regretted it. 

I have seen prices stalling and in fact I just seen one that has been reduced by 2 grand. From 65k to 63k and I reckon that won't be enough. 

People keep talking about rising prices but I haven't seen that in the last 6 months. 

4 hours ago, MrGRT said:

I would sell mine, not at the moment as what I fancy is not yet obtainable. I sold one and have not regretted it. 

I have seen prices stalling and in fact I just seen one that has been reduced by 2 grand. From 65k to 63k and I reckon that won't be enough. 

People keep talking about rising prices but I haven't seen that in the last 6 months. 

Prices are one thing sales another, I think we've only had one or two over £30K buyers here haven't we? 

Not sure what's the most someone's paid for an NA that we know of? but these all seem to be over £20k now, are they going abroad US etc?

10 hours ago, Scooter said:

Not sure what's the most someone's paid for an NA that we know of? but these all seem to be over £20k now, are they going abroad US etc?

Probably, when you think a tt over there is atleast 60k ours seem cheap even for parts 

There will probably come a time where it financially outruns my ability to look after it and if that happens then I'll let it go. It's already starting to feel that way with how much it costs to fuel the damn thing! Between tax, insurance, MOT, a light service and a tank of fuel it's almost a 4 figure luxury just to get it road worthy every April.

If I can side step into something cool as well then it would make things a lot easier. Trouble is, there isn't much out there that I fancy in the same price range. Especially something that is bottoming out on it's appreciation curve.

Edited by Style (see edit history)

22 hours ago, MrGRT said:

Agree, prices have slowed up.

Maybe they've stabilised.

I think it'll continue to go up. But slower is better.

Im genuinely considering letting mine go this year. I bought it as a dream car ive always wanted. At this time of my life it doesnt get used (growing family) and parts prices are pushing me out of wanting to use it hard when i do. Beautiful cars but i need something with back seats to get more use. Its literally a garage ornament at the moment. 

20220405_121105.jpg

On 4/3/2022 at 4:14 PM, Tyson said:

I absolutely love the car and couldn't imagine ever selling it, but everything has a price and I wouldn't think twice about selling if someone offered me strong money.

This is exactly how I am thinking, I have no intention of selling up. I have never sat down and thought what sort of price I would accept, because I love my Supra and have never thought about selling.
However money talks and I know that if I heard the price I subconsciously think it is worth, I would possibly sell up. 

I have never seen a genuine facelift Deep jewel green TT6 for sale, so there are none I can even look at to gauge what mine is worth 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

I have owned my Deep jewel green TT6 for 8 years come July. 

11 hours ago, fastphil666 said:

Beautiful cars but i need something with back seats 

I had the same predicament when I sold my MkIII Supra for a BMW 7 series to accommodate the arriving and growing kids and hated it, so I got rid of the BMW and bought my MkIV Supra for myself and a new 4 door car for the wife. Where there is a will, there is usually a way.

8 hours ago, rider said:

I had the same predicament when I sold my MkIII Supra for a BMW 7 series to accommodate the arriving and growing kids and hated it, so I got rid of the BMW and bought my MkIV Supra for myself and a new 4 door car for the wife. Where there is a will, there is usually a way.

And it ususally seems to start with a currency symbol 😆

This is my second Supra in my life, both LHD, the first one I sell it back in 2015-2016, and I have during all this years, 2 GTR’s, Ferrari 458, M4, M2 competition…

And I ended up with a Supra again in 2020, since a year after my purchase, I can’t be more happy with the car, its a different thing not comparable with the others above, and I have no plans to sell it, BUT, I have to say that actually I prefer to use other cars that I have instead of the Supra, just to not risk the car in the streets on weekdays, only use it some sundays, because there’s less traffic in the streets.

With the actual prices of the market and the rising JDM trend, its a risk to get rid of this car if you truly like it.

And to finish, just my opinion about prices and the “Keep it as an investment”, you can ask 100k for a Supra, but its not like a property hahaha, you need to find someone who is willing to pay that amount for your car. So its really worth it? Or its just a bubble that never pops lol.

• Like 1