The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Will you ever sell your Supra ?

mplavery

18 hours ago, mharvey said:

SO WHY do I keep considering selling it?!?!

I think the one thing holding me back is knowing that compared to what it's cost and compared to what I'd want next, I'd get very little for it. 

The prices have slowed down recently but I don't think this is the peak of supra values.

Keep it and get your self a nice ferrari when you sell it in a few years. 🙂

I've definitely noticed a lot more for sale recently, perhaps lots just testing the water, or it gets so little use that perhaps now would be a good time to let it go etc? 

I can't see a huge amount of buyers lining up here though? but the US prices are still very strong and the $ is also strong so our prices probably look cheap to them?

I was told by the Toyota UK gents who visited the Birmingham Classic Car Show stand in 2016 in fairly forceful terms that being a TT6 of the 'right' original colour I must lock the car away and only drive it once a year to a MOT station. I feel I've been excessive running my 250 miles a year. I sometimes just get the urge to go for a whistle blowing and dump valve snorting blast. 

15k miles since 2005 here lol

Though it doesn’t really move anymore

It might do a local car breakfast meet but apart from that I’ve not much interest in it .. it’s weird it’s nice to have if I feel the urge for a spin but it just doesn’t seem to happen 

I do get a feeling to dump a load of money into it power wise when I see a car YouTube vid or a car film but I know it won’t get used 

i think I've done around 2.5 (if that) in the last 3.5 years and it's not even running all that amazingly well. but it does look absolutely sublime and makes me feel special whenever I do take it out for a drive, so that does enough for me.

I have a V10 powered E46 M3 which quite literally ticks every performance box I'd ever want. But I still adore the Supra and as long as I can afford to do without selling it, I doubt I will tbh. It's a very special car even in boring stock form. I can't wait till it's running big power and able to actually go like a 'Supra' should.

@fastphil666 nice choice on the M4 and it looks great too man. All the best with it sir.

10 hours ago, Celicasaur said:

i think I've done around 2.5 (if that) in the last 3.5 years and it's not even running all that amazingly well. but it does look absolutely sublime and makes me feel special whenever I do take it out for a drive, so that does enough for me.

I have a V10 powered E46 M3 which quite literally ticks every performance box I'd ever want. But I still adore the Supra and as long as I can afford to do without selling it, I doubt I will tbh. It's a very special car even in boring stock form. I can't wait till it's running big power and able to actually go like a 'Supra' should.

@fastphil666 nice choice on the M4 and it looks great too man. All the best with it sir.

Good sounding engine that, keep an eye on the bearings! Have you seen Sretens youtube project Raleigh? Cool vids M539 Restorations. 

That was another point i had to think about. At bpu level on stock twins, to make more power is a fair few grand (to make it safely/reliably) with quality parts. Balancing the lack of use with dumping £6k into it just didnt add up. A remap of my m4 can see 500hp very easily. Ive also used it 3x last week, thats about 3 months in the supra. 

On 6/26/2022 at 10:14 AM, Annabella said:

Good sounding engine that, keep an eye on the bearings! Have you seen Sretens youtube project Raleigh? Cool vids M539 Restorations. 

Yeah it's a pretty special engine tbfh. Rod bearings on this (amongst others) have been done on the M3. And gosh I love Streten, he's so cool. I actually have a 6 speed manual M5 (V10) touring funnily enough, so I kinda have my own project Raleigh...albeit....it's project London, haha.

On 6/26/2022 at 11:25 AM, fastphil666 said:

That was another point i had to think about. At bpu level on stock twins, to make more power is a fair few grand (to make it safely/reliably) with quality parts. Balancing the lack of use with dumping £6k into it just didnt add up. A remap of my m4 can see 500hp very easily. Ive also used it 3x last week, thats about 3 months in the supra. 

Gosh stock sucks. I'll never understand why some people go ape over the 'originality' of a stock motor, when a nicely modified motor will give so many more smiles per mile.

Such a shame to not be used much at all, easier for me to say as mine is a little tatty at present and so I just treat it as I always did not worth being cosmetically precious about it.  I just making sure it's running and serviced well and wait and see how I feel.  GR86 or manual new Supra I could see eventually luring me in?

Edited by Scooter (see edit history)

On 6/26/2022 at 1:21 AM, Dieter said:

yes, I too enjoy every ride and the great interest when you go somewhere, people approach you directly and I very, very much enjoy taking the time for these people

See I hate the interest it draws now. I’ve had a whole bunch of Asian students turn from photoing Canterbury towers to take its picture, 5 guys giving me a standing ovation at the petrol station. And of course “is that a supra” shouts…

2 hours ago, Celicasaur said:

Yeah it's a pretty special engine tbfh. Rod bearings on this (amongst others) have been done on the M3. And gosh I love Streten, he's so cool. I actually have a 6 speed manual M5 (V10) touring funnily enough, so I kinda have my own project Raleigh...albeit....it's project London, haha.

Gosh stock sucks. I'll never understand why some people go ape over the 'originality' of a stock motor, when a nicely modified motor will give so many more smiles per mile.

Have you seen Project Chicago with the nighmare Supercharged Alpina rebuild (twice)!!

57 minutes ago, Annabella said:

Have you seen Project Chicago with the nighmare Supercharged Alpina rebuild (twice)!!

😂 indeed. I think he gets a lot of respect from enthusiasts for admitting his own fault and just getting on with it. There's an E39 M5 meet happening in mid-July whereby a whole bunch of UK cars will be going to Germany to BMW HQ to celebrate lot's of years of ///M. Streten will be there also, so no doubt he'll have all of the guys giving him favours n fried chicken for the stardom.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scooter said:

Such a shame to not be used much at all, easier for me to say as mine is a little tatty at present and so I just treat it as I always did not worth being cosmetically precious about it.  I just making sure it's running and serviced well and wait and see how I feel.  GR86 or manual new Supra I could see eventually luring me in?

GR86 at least it is "meant" to be a 2+2 and has excellent reviews. For me it would suit the bill. 

On 6/24/2022 at 12:02 PM, Scooter said:

I've definitely noticed a lot more for sale recently, perhaps lots just testing the water, or it gets so little use that perhaps now would be a good time to let it go etc? 

I can't see a huge amount of buyers lining up here though? but the US prices are still very strong and the $ is also strong so our prices probably look cheap to them?

Fuel prices, cost of living and energy prices all going up exponentially. I’d say people just need the money to be honest.

17 hours ago, MrGRT said:

GR86 at least it is "meant" to be a 2+2 and has excellent reviews. For me it would suit the bill. 

For many. That's why you cannot buy one. never.

All the allocations for the UK for all production (next 2 years) have sold.

According to Toyota it only took 30 mins. 

• 1 month later...

I'll never sell mine. It means too much to me and I've invested far too much time and money into it.

Sometimes i wish i could bring myself to sell it for none other reason than being able to save money. I wish i was one of those people who can save/invest money in sensible things and allow their money to 'grow'... systematically putting themselves in a strong financial position later down the line.

I understand the principle, but my car just absorbs every last penny.. and i just allow it to happen 😅

• Like 1