The mkiv Supra Owners Club

“The legend returns” Toyota GB tweet tease of supra with BGW

Marcus GTE

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep saying. If it looks like the FT-1 and can be knocking out around 400Hp, I will get one. I think after what happened with the GT86 launch, they put up all these pretty pictures and then eventually put out something terribly average looking and under powered.

I have a feeling this will happen again and I for one will lose faith with Toyota's approach to retaining, dyed in the wool supporters. Let's face it, the replacement for the MKIV is probably about 5 -10 years overdue.

I really hope this is not the case and they follow through with the hopes that they have raised.

H.

The looks of the MkV have grown on me. Its a good thing they haven't attempted to simply copy the MkIV, but I can see the modern comparison elements in there.

My main concern at the moment is that there doesn't seem to be clear evidence of a manual gearbox option.

I've been saving up for a while for another sports-GT car; toyed with buying a 911, but they are just too common/plain looking, over-priced and too ugly at the back end.

If Toyota get the MkV right, with a 6-speed (or even 7-speed) manual, with a 6-cylinder engine that is either 400+bhp standard or can be easily tuned to over 400bhp, then I'm also buying one :)

(On the assumption they price it right of course).

If anyone is still against it being branded under “Gazoo” (and is it me or does GRMN just say garmin sat nav any time you read it?) but it’s effectively TRD that are developing it, and this quote might convert those who don’t like the new name

“As with all other GR models, such as the Yaris GRMN, the company will offer an extensive range of aftermarket tuning parts for the new sports car.”

Wouldn't call that over-engineered, but very well engineered for its purpose. Try sticking a big single on that engine and see how the engine and transmission copes :D

The LFA is one of the most over engineered cars ever made. It was built as a ground up technical exercise and changed the face of Toyota's design philosophy/engineering set up and was the birth of Gazoo racing.

You might want to revisit this post once you've worked out how good many modern BMWs are to drive, and how the modern car industry works. Platform sharing is hardly news.

As a above. I think its very much a positive, and was the only realistic way we could get a straight 6 in the new car, which has been central to all previous Supras.

Gazoo Those of is old enough will remember that a “gazoo” was a pseudo musical instrument About 5-6 inches long with a circular echo box on top The notes,such as they were ,were formed by literally “ toot ta tooting “ or da da da” into the mouthpiece A flat sounding sort of semi bugle sound Cant quiet believe Toyota thinks this is a “racing “ monogram for its top of the range cars

Gazoo Those of is old enough will remember that a “gazoo” was a pseudo musical instrument About 5-6 inches long with a circular echo box on top The notes,such as they were ,were formed by literally “ toot ta tooting “ or da da da” into the mouthpiece A flat sounding sort of semi bugle sound Cant quiet believe Toyota thinks this is a “racing “ monogram for its top of the range cars

I think you will find it’s called a Kazoo :)

The looks of the MkV have grown on me. Its a good thing they haven't attempted to simply copy the MkIV, but I can see the modern comparison elements in there.

My main concern at the moment is that there doesn't seem to be clear evidence of a manual gearbox option.

I've been saving up for a while for another sports-GT car; toyed with buying a 911, but they are just too common/plain looking, over-priced and too ugly at the back end.

If Toyota get the MkV right, with a 6-speed (or even 7-speed) manual, with a 6-cylinder engine that is either 400+bhp standard or can be easily tuned to over 400bhp, then I'm also buying one :)

(On the assumption they price it right of course).

Price and gearbox will be a big consideration. If you want a fairly modern car, manual box and 350 - 400Hp, there aren't a lot of options. This is how I ended up with a Z4M (343Hp) and a Cayman S (325 Hp). Both cars are a hoot to drive and I find them a lot more fun than my Supras were, that said, they are smaller, lighter and 6 Cylinder, NA.

Keeping away from anything "chavvy", you are looking at Jag F type, but limited to 380Hp manual in a heavy car. The 450Hp is auto only. Lotus Evora, Porsche 997 or 991, Aston Vantage. E92 M3 etc. Manual gearboxes are not that easy to find these days. I can't think of many others that are appealing. Mustang? 370Z Nismo?

H.

raf,750x1000,075,t,fafafa_ca443f4786.u1.jpg

The great Gazoo, and what a winning racing moniker he makes. Obviously sounds better in Japanese.

The car has some strange proportions and looks far too high. We will just have to wait and see, if it looks like the pic from grand tour, they win, sadly I don't think it will. Bmw make some great engines though, that might be the saving grace.

Coming to a showroom near you.

Isn't anyone else bored of the secrecy from Toyota around this car?

In reality we don't even know if it will be called a Supra.

I think Toyota has messed this up. It's built such anticipation ahead of the release of this car that no matter what they now produce it won't live up to the hype.

It will undoubtably look ok, but otherwise be unremarkable.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]225578[/ATTACH]

The great Gazoo, and what a winning racing moniker he makes. Obviously sounds better in Japanese.

The car has some strange proportions and looks far too high. We will just have to wait and see, if it looks like the pic from grand tour, they win, sadly I don't think it will. Bmw make some great engines though, that might be the saving grace.

Coming to a showroom near you.

All of the test cars are wearing panels to hide the body shape, especially around the roof and rear 3/4s of the car, so it should look better proportioned once unveiled.

I think Toyota has messed this up. It's built such anticipation ahead of the release of this car that no matter what they now produce it won't live up to the hype.

As I said in my previous post. It will either look like the FT-1 or they have really trodden on their cocks. Nothing worse than hype, then disappointment. They would have been better of just launching it without all the smoke and mirrors.

There is a lot of competition in this bracket so they need to get it right.

H.

I'm not even convinced this is a Supra.

Everyone is calling it a supra except Toyota.

And to be fair, they haven't built up the hype, everyone else has with the test pictures and speculating that it is a supra.

I really hope it isn't and its a Celica or MR2 instead.

I'm not even convinced this is a Supra.

Everyone is calling it a supra except Toyota.

And to be fair, they haven't built up the hype, everyone else has with the test pictures and speculating that it is a supra.

I really hope it isn't and its a Celica or MR2 instead.

I would say this alludes pretty heavily toward it being a supra....

IMG_4543.JPG

IMG_4544.JPG

Price and gearbox will be a big consideration. If you want a fairly modern car, manual box and 350 - 400Hp, there aren't a lot of options. This is how I ended up with a Z4M (343Hp) and a Cayman S (325 Hp). Both cars are a hoot to drive and I find them a lot more fun than my Supras were, that said, they are smaller, lighter and 6 Cylinder, NA.

Keeping away from anything "chavvy", you are looking at Jag F type, but limited to 380Hp manual in a heavy car. The 450Hp is auto only. Lotus Evora, Porsche 997 or 991, Aston Vantage. E92 M3 etc. Manual gearboxes are not that easy to find these days. I can't think of many others that are appealing. Mustang? 370Z Nismo?

H.

Very true.

Auto-boxes do nothing for me and due to that this very much restricts what I can buy currently on the market.

I've driven numerous fast cars with auto and DCT boxes and for me it is a huge disconnect.

DCT good if you want to use the car as a tool either for racing or chasing that last few tenths around a track - but not good for road driving if you are looking for being part of the cars interaction with road.

Over the past decade car manufacturers of sports/performance cars were simply chasing 0-60 times and that meant an auto-box or a DCT, but they forgot about the driving enthusiast who wanted driver involvement. It would seem however that some of the big brands are turning back to manuals as the 'fashion' of autos is dwindling a bit.

Turbo engines are also helping the issue as no need to rely on auto-boxes for emission control - they can use a manual gearbox and still meet those stringent EU/USA CO2 figures.

Before I heard about the possibility of the MkV getting a manual I was enquiring about buying a 4.7L AM Vantage - and then looking to fit a supercharger to it to have a nice package of 550+bhp in a sleek GT car. (And then keeping a bit of money aside for the inevitable maintenance that those cars need).

But the MkV, if a 6 or 7 speed manual would be a very good package, especially with Toyota reliability and not having to pay for a brand image badge.

I looked at an Lexus LC500 the other week and would say that is like a new supra but again no manual box and it all seemed a little bit Tesla too me with the big Ipad style screens.

A 7 speed manual sounds great but I cannot see them bringing a 400hp car out for 60k I would say it will be more 85k time will tell.

I still have my B7 RS4 saloon as its a proper manual (the last RS to have a manual box I believe).

I probably don't make a good representative sample of MKIV owners, as I'm a bit younger than most of you I think (still in my 20s); however... I am quite content with not having a manual option. I have a paddle shift auto as my daily and a manual MKIV for the weekends and now that I've adjusted my driving style to using paddles, I much prefer it to a manual. Launches are easier, kicking down a few gears before going into a corner is much smoother and I never miss a shift. For a GT car, I can absolutely see the sense in not having a manual option in 2019. Also, having a 7 or 8 speed DCT/Auto is going to give you better acceleration, emissions/mpg etc. Gearbox technology is just as important as engine technology when it comes to a fast car and having a manual will leave you in the dust against the other options. I wonder how many people had a moan about the GTR not having a manual option before it was released?

** does this mean its confirmed?**

I have just had the following email from toyota in regards to Spring action day at castle combe.

Hi Luke,

Thanks for your email.

Motorline Toyota will be attending Spring action day at castle coombe on the 7th of April this year to celebrate the cult following of Toyotas in the enthusiast community.

Following this, we would love to have a MKIV Supra on stand with us to drum up some excitement for the launch of the new supra in 2019.

Having seen a photo of your Supra from Jack, I would be very interested to see more with the insight of submitting this to be a potential contender for the aforementioned event.

Along with this, could you please confirm your availability for that date and also include a small list of modifications that you have made.

I look forward to hearing more,

Jordan

** does this mean its confirmed?**

I have just had the following email from toyota in regards to Spring action day at castle combe.

Hi Luke,

Thanks for your email.

Motorline Toyota will be attending Spring action day at castle coombe on the 7th of April this year to celebrate the cult following of Toyotas in the enthusiast community.

Following this, we would love to have a MKIV Supra on stand with us to drum up some excitement for the launch of the new supra in 2019.

Having seen a photo of your Supra from Jack, I would be very interested to see more with the insight of submitting this to be a potential contender for the aforementioned event.

Along with this, could you please confirm your availability for that date and also include a small list of modifications that you have made.

I look forward to hearing more,

Jordan

I'll bet he gets a bollocking for telling you that if someone finds out :D