The mkiv Supra Owners Club

“The legend returns” Toyota GB tweet tease of supra with BGW

Marcus GTE

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh, I hope to be wrong but once slimmed down without wide arches etc. I think it is going to look like a Z Bemmer, which it seems to basically be :(. Looking at the great looking concept above, makes the whole thing even more of a let down. I hope I'm wrong.

The Car should be on the M6 Chassis

I think if you are in this and Z4 pulls up beside you , you wish you did better in life and bought the z4

Yeah, finally something to rival the sporty corsas, my Mrs Yaris Hybrid isnt sporty in the least! :lol: I bet that Yaris makes the GT86 look slow too sadly.

Who cares? The GT86 is among the best drivers' cars available at any price right now. I understand this Yaris is pretty special too, but all sold in the UK already.

I know.. I appreciate the GT86 is about handling and not speed.. but I guess people care when they view it as a sports car, then have it beaten off the lights/in a straight line but lots of other things! Thats the argument about that.. I think a Supercharged version would have done well.

News from my guys on the show floor:

a) it will have a straight-6

b) it won't be hybrid

c) it's coming in late 2019

d) doubt there will be a manual

e) it'll be branded by Gazoo Racing in some way

c and d rule me out for buying one if thats the case

I know.. I appreciate the GT86 is about handling and not speed.. but I guess people care when they view it as a sports car, then have it beaten off the lights/in a straight line but lots of other things! Thats the argument about that.. I think a Supercharged version would have done well.

I drove the Cosworth s/c one for an article when I was running an 86. Was absolutely mad. 'Only' 320bhp, but felt supercar quick :)

b) it won't be hybrid

Been asking local Toyota dealerships about waiting lists etc., in prospect to getting on one to buy when the Supra MK V is finally released.

In response to your list Gaz...

a - good

b - even better

c - no problems with that

d - unfortunately if that's true I'm out - no manual means I've lost all interest. There are many of us who just don't get any pleasure or connection with auto boxes coupled to performance cars (that includes DCT).

So if no manual then its all been a waste (for me at least).

Been asking local Toyota dealerships about waiting lists etc., in prospect to getting on one to buy when the Supra MK V is finally released.

In response to your list Gaz...

a - good

b - even better

c - no problems with that

d - unfortunately if that's true I'm out - no manual means I've lost all interest. There are many of us who just don't get any pleasure or connection with auto boxes and performance cars (that includes DCT).

So if no manual then its all been a waste (for me at least).

The only small thing here is Toyota did a concept a while back with a simulated H-gate on an auto 'box... not sure if you get three pedals too though.

Gaz - Sounds a hoot! I think all it needs is another 50bhp to satisfy those wanting more power.

AJI - you might want to have a look at the new Camaro ZLT1 - thats manual doing 7:10 ish ring times I think :) Most new fast cars are all or have gone auto now.

b) it won't be hybrid

a) pretty much guarantees it's a BMW engine then.

b) Shame, but one may arrive at some point

c) indifferent

d) Don't care, paddle shift > manual any day

e) See comment about EU regulations on small volume car manufacturers. I bet you will be able to buy a Toyota badge pack for it.

Hehe, nice! I did see a comment from the Toyota social media person that the new Supra has been built on a chassis that meets LM-GTE requirements, so I have a feeling and a hope we'll see it in competitive racing series around Europe too!

I get the no manual/no go for some, it does seem to matter less the higher power you go (GTR etc), plus autos safe guard average drivers to a degree and ensures some mechanical sympathy to the driveline that a manual can't, but it does rob the enthusiast from 'involvement'

I think most here would grab a manual GT86 over an auto as it's character and lower power sort of demand it (certainly does to me), so can't blame those who want a manual new Supra whatever the power it has?

Little snip from the 911 GT3 blurb around the pdk vs manual issue

“I am glad to see (a manual transmission) made it into the GT3, but I am a big PDK fan,” said Jeff Zwart, who has set record times in a Porsche up Pikes Peak and has spent decades with the automaker. “In terms of the ultimate road Porsche that should be reserved for the GT3 RS with PDK...it should always be the fastest, so it should be PDK. I am glad to have a manual option, and the Porsche version is so good these days, but on a day I want to run flat out on a track, I will be glad to have a PDK.”