The mkiv Supra Owners Club

“The legend returns” Toyota GB tweet tease of supra with BGW

Marcus GTE

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet its going to look like a Frankenstein GT86/ mazda RX8 with a few ft1 concepts thrown in there, but really hope they prove me completely wrong. Im not a fan of the look of all of these prototypes and images of the MKV that have come out.

I don't think the "Mk5" or whatever it will be referred to, will ever come close to the MKIV or its legendary status. Instead i wish they would focus more time and money on producing original parts for the MKIV or even redesigning modern versions of parts such as the lights or other add ons/upgrades, whether it be to the engine or the body or wherever. They would have huge success if they got it right, they already have a worldwide following.

The thought of a new supra...just doesnt seem to sit 100% with me. MKIV all the way! In my eyes one of the best cars ever made for its time.

I don't think the "Mk5" or whatever it will be referred to, will ever come close to the MKIV or its legendary status. Instead i wish they would focus more time and money on producing original parts for the MKIV or even redesigning modern versions of parts such as the lights or other add ons/upgrades, whether it be to the engine or the body or wherever. They would have huge success if they got it right, they already have a worldwide following.

Its final appearence, for now is just pure speculation, as will be its future status. The youth may adopt it as theirs; who knows.

Remodeling parts for a 25 year old chassis with a few thousand owners worldwide though is a pretty terrible business idea. There are plenty of new parts out there now already available that will keep you running for years to come.

Its final appearence, for now is just pure speculation, as will be its future status. The youth may adopt it as theirs; who knows.

Remodeling parts for a 25 year old chassis with a few thousand owners worldwide though is a pretty terrible business idea. There are plenty of new parts out there now already available that will keep you running for years to come.

From a business point of view for a big motor corporation like that, I guess it wouldn't make sense. However, it would be nice for the fans, enthusiasts and owners! New shells rolling off the line, new suspension components etc - genuine stock parts for a long time to come. A heavenly idea for most! There are definately plenty of parts out there, but there are the certain rareities that develop over time, which we are already seeing a problem with now, things will only get worse with time. Would be nice to see some sort of re injection into the MK4, whether it would be viable for toyota or not. Most of us alongside other owners would be lifetime customers. I am flowing off topic now, ive already signed the petition :D

I wouldn't read to much into the magazine's from Japan as I've seen one that lists loads of the spec and then continues to say it has 17" alloys, which given the size of the car and the wheel to tyre ratio i highly doubt its wearing 17"

another point to make is that the guy who's designing the new toyota sports car owns a 600bhp mkiv supra and he said in an interview the new car has been set up like the old one.

From what he said in the interview I'm taking it that he is a proper petrol head and has designed something that we will all love.. well I hope anyway lol

The hypocrisy - the press and manufacturer claim the icon and legend status : I remember the press often calling the Supra a second division footballers car , and such like ,no mention of icon , the main reason the owners , tuners ,and enthusiasts loved the supra was the BPU factor , for 1000 pounds you could make 460 bhp and done in a day .

This cheap power had massive appeal , despite Toyota actually having things that prevented this simple upgrade needing overcoming ,Toyota never changed any of the prohibitive things in the supra , enthusiasts did all the work arounds and collected all the tuning data -year on year pushing up power levels

It was owners who made the car iconic , from the starting point of a cheap power hike , allowing the second division footballers car to scare the supercars , they could never bully a supra , as they might be on the wrong end of a whuppin-lol

Lets hope the new car, remembers what created the icon - cheap power and endless tuning and modification ability - a supercar for the massses not the media or journos -keep it simple

Reading the various “leaks” it would appear we are going to see a modern racing concept version. So not the “normal” road going production car that still appears to be a year away.

The information Best Car magazine in Japan ”leaked” (those computer generated images including the one of the racing version with the same wing as Toyotas teaser) 24 hours after Toyotas announcement seem to confirm this.

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Grammar & Spelling. (see edit history)