The mkiv Supra Owners Club

“The legend returns” Toyota GB tweet tease of supra with BGW

Marcus GTE

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever it is I feel it will give a good idea of what we can expect from Toyota in the future. Even if that’s all I see in Geneva I’ll be happy

Can already see certain changes already.

Their new suv looks the dogs and I’m seriously co soldering getting one when my finances are better.

First thing that comes to mind when I see this pic is BMW and not Toyota.

I don’t think that looks too bad compared to the ones in red that have popped up. I think people are going to have to accept there’s going to be a lot of BMW bits and pieces here and there.

.... I think people are going to have to accept there’s going to be a lot of BMW bits and pieces here and there.

Hi Bobbeh...

Thats not a bad thing really :)

German and Toyota engineering and reliability, the concept already wins against many other cars.

Hi Bobbeh...

Thats not a bad thing really :)

German and Toyota engineering and reliability, the concept already wins against many other cars.

I agree - I drive both, I have an 8 speed auto box in my bimmer and it certainly shifts to the point where I've hardly used the paddles! :) Plus two of the richest car companies surely must be able to come up with something thats half decent, right? ;)

I was having a discussion with someone today about the MKV and the upshot really is this (most of which I think I've said a few times but now with a conclusion!) - the purists are not going to like the MKV at all - it's not going to be the spiritual successor to the MKIV in any way but name. The fact that it's based on a joint venture like the GT86 has already confined it to the bin for many and the added fact of having BMW derived engines will probably do it for the rest. And in many ways this is sad as Toyota have long been overdue to replace their flagship technobeast. But, on the flip side, this is also good. As the MKV (not really a MKV at all) will initially be greeted with disdain and cries of disappointment and the usual 'opportunity missed' tag it will mean that those seeking a nostalgia trip and some serious car fun will look even more closely at the MKIV and that can only do one thing: drive up the value of your cars even more (a bit closer to the bursting point of the bubble anyway). So in a way I kind of hope it's no good because it'll make all the cars on here a good percentage more desirable and valuable (including the already crazy parts market) and in the long run you'll all have the 'real' Supras, not a marketing ploy to make a few bucks off the back of an icon. Every cloud...!

I really really really really hope they do a version with the turbo V8 lump that's going into the LC-F

This is part of the issue with the BMW MKV - branding and brand positioning.

Back in 1993 there was no Lexus brand, now there is and it's really the platform brand for technology and high performance cars (LFA, LC-F etc) so when this new 'Supra' arrives it can't outdo anything in the Lexus stable really, that would not be correct brand positioning. So, as said many times, 99% of Supra fans are going to be somewhat disappointed. But don't blame Toyota, blame branding!

If you want more of a spiritual successor to the MKIV Supra then it's already on sale - the Lexus LC-F.

IMO Toyota would not be releasing a next generation Supra if it were not to live up to the name.

Talking about brands, that would be brand suicide.

But either way, we are due to find out soon when they unveil the motorsport version at Geneva and then the road going version at New York motorshow a little later in March (so I've read).

Lexus LC-F is more aimed at competing with the likes of BMW M6, the large comfortable GTs focused on smooth effortless driving with a party trick of fast acceleration.

Although it has a hideous front end on it with that hugely over sized grill. :taped:

Where as the MkIV was aimed more at competing with 911's of the day, a sporty focused GT that was more capable around corners.

I'd hope at least that the MkV is also aimed at competing with 911's rather than M6's.

I'm not so sure about that Ellis, I wouldn't call any of the Lexus stable 'sporty', they are fast and luxurious to my eyes so I think there is definitely room for something just as fast and a little more raw, which is how I kind of always viewed it, bit of a working class hero.

I'm fan of the Mkiv as much as anyone else but I won't be disappointed to see a BMW inline 6 in one, they are brilliant engines and make all the right noises - the purist should be thankful it hasn't totally lost its lineage like the Nissan skyline and switched to V6. If it looks like the photos it could be a great car to have sat next to a Mkiv one day I think.

I'm not so sure about that Ellis, I wouldn't call any of the Lexus stable 'sporty', they are fast and luxurious to my eyes so I think there is definitely room for something just as fast and a little more raw, which is how I kind of always viewed it, bit of a working class hero.

I'm fan of the Mkiv as much as anyone else but I won't be disappointed to see a BMW inline 6 in one, they are brilliant engines and make all the right noises - the purist should be thankful it hasn't totally lost its lineage like the Nissan skyline and switched to V6. If it looks like the photos it could be a great car to have sat next to a Mkiv one day I think.

I hope I'm wrong mate, I really do. I love the MKIV and would want nothing more for the MKV to be the game-changer the MKIV was 24 years ago but I just think with brand positioning, where they have pitched other cars within the Toyota/Lexus stable etc, what other car makers have done, the steady phasing out of big thirsty petrol beauties, that this won't be the benchmark car we all want it to be.

I just hope I'm wrong! :)

Either way the MKIV will benefit from a good or bad car and should push residuals even stronger....

The release of a MkV will have little effect on MkIV prices, I can't see the market connection. (However I'd happily stand to be corrected).

The MkV will be in a very different price bracket, it will therefore have a different customer base (no disrespect to current MkIV owners, but what I mean here is that people who want a new £60k MkV are looking for/expecting something different than a 20 year old £15k MkIV - if £60k is what the new MkV will be pitched at).

Current MkIV prices have bounced back over the last few years after they reached the bottom of their depreciation curve.

There are however some reality checks to take in to account with current MkIV prices... (only in my opinion of course), first is that interest rates are due to increase again soon, meaning the 'pressure' on the 2nd hand car market will be reduced in terms of being propped up massively by finance deals.

Secondly, current MkIVs will continue to age, in terms of possible rust, engine life, technology and newer performance models on the market (from all brands).

Looking at a comparison of how newer models of the Porsche 911 affect previous models, most still depreciated. Only the rare versions of which the price is then determined by availability do they rocket upwards.

Finally as the MkIV recently bounced up from the bottom of the depreciation curve there is generally a 'pressure' for people to buy in order they didn't lose money on re-sale, or simply to flip and make a profit. This has a positive loop return on prices - but which may now be coming to an end.

But as prices have now seemingly stabilized and with the likely affects from what is mentioned above come in to play, I don't think MkIV prices will go up any further - may even start to slide a little.

Again - I'd be happily proved wrong on this as I owned my MkIV for over 15 years.... they are fantastic cars! Which will always hold a good amount of value.

I kinda agree with Ellis for the most part. I dont think MKIV values will be affected either way as the MKIV now has its place in the auto world and there will be a fan base for it for years to come, especially with younger generations.. and the fact there are fewer of them and more people wanting will keep prices high in that respect.

Also agree that Lexus is the new direction for anything luxurious, I wouldnt have called the Supra sporty as in my eyes its always been a GT cruiser of a car, fortunately with sporty elements. The stock supra is a quite, refined car with leather and cruise control designed for long journeys. It is held up against the 911 as it offered that kind of performance, but agree it wasnt the target when it was released. Prior to the MKIV I wouldn't have really called the Supra much of a legend either. the MKIII was nice but not stand out in most respects. The Celica was more Toyotas sports platform of choice.

The fact they've co developed with BMW to save money might mean you get more for your money with the new car.. as opposed to paying more for a Lexus branded item. I think it'll end up being a good car, I dont think it'll ever stand up to MKIV owners and what they see as a successor to a great car... what do they want? Ferrari beating for 50k? Not going to happen imho - plus the market is so wide open these days you can get hatchbacks that upset a lot of supercars these days :)

I hope I'm wrong mate, I really do. I love the MKIV and would want nothing more for the MKV to be the game-changer the MKIV was 24 years ago but I just think with brand positioning, where they have pitched other cars within the Toyota/Lexus stable etc.

I just hope I'm wrong! :)

I agree, there definitely won't be anything game changing about it, it will be designed to fit into a price point, and people will have to recognise that.

But with a good engine, good looks and some hybrid tech it could be a great little car to own.

I agree, there definitely won't be anything game changing about it, it will be designed to fit into a price point, and people will have to recognise that.

But with a good engine, good looks and some hybrid tech it could be a great little car to own.

JamieP to be the first to get one and slap a 2JZ in it???!! :D

Seems like the racing version rather than the road going version is going to be on display.

I'm going to geneva so I shall see what I can do about getting up close and personal with it.

Oooohhh nice.

Yeah I thought most folk knew, it’s a racing concept of the new supra, with the road going version going on display in NYC a short time later.

This might give us a look what the top spec supra GRMN might be a bit like in a few years once the top spec is brought to market.

Looking better already, they're doing well to keep it covered up and not let slip!

Having said that Im sure I saw a graphic on GT Sport of the new Supra in one of the 'scapes rolling demos.. was sure it wasnt the FT-1 - I wonder if that was a slip/or easter egg from the GT developers :)