The mkiv Supra Owners Club

“The legend returns” Toyota GB tweet tease of supra with BGW

Marcus GTE

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it!

Although the super wide arches are probably not going to be there on the road car.

There are pics of the standard road version floating around in Japanese car mags, now this has race concept version been revealed its safe to assume that's what it'll look like.

Dammit! Honestly got so hyped at a true reveal but this is just another "we signal our intention" to bring it back. I.e another concept. Don't get me wrong I am totally hyped but I expected a joint reveal with the production model. It is literally called the GR Supra Racing Concept though so even this is still a concept :lol:

I like it :)

Main 2 things about it for me is:

I'm glad its kept the legendary "Supra" name

Also it keeps with the MKIV styling of looking "happy" from the front end with the headlights etc... Don't get me wrong I like the aggressive look of most cars but the Supra has always iconically had a happy face (Like the pic below where it looks like the Evo is angry at the Supra and the Supra is just smiling in a happy mood, unless that's just me looking to much into it lol) and so glad to see its continued and looks happy too :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=225902&stc=1&d=1520328570

attachment.php?attachmentid=225903&stc=1&d=1520330161

DSC00849 copy.jpg

1.jpg

There are pics of the standard road version floating around in Japanese car mags, now this has race concept version been revealed its safe to assume that's what it'll look like.

I agree, the leaked pics from the Japanese magazines match this shape perfectly, without the body kit, so I’d be very surprised if that’s not what it looked like when the rd going version is revealed in NYC.

Think it looks great, expecially from the side. It keeps a lot of the proportions of the Mkiv and there are still quite a lot of the design from the FT-1 kept: watered down a bit as we expected.

One thing I wish they kept from the ft-1 is the massive side scoops on the doors; it’s obviously not easy enough to scale it to full production. Still to see that version officially though so let’s see.

If the leaked pics are now showing to be credible, then perhaps the leaked info on engines was too.

Thanks to Pete for the pics, anyone who’s actually there, it’d Be good to hear from you :thumbs: :)

Wonder if anyone still doubts the revival of the supra name now lol

This is pretty cool, hinting that the chassis code will have a 90 in it, following the trend of the MA70 and JZA80:cool:

“Created by Toyota Gazoo Racing, the concept perfectly expresses the “fun to drive” quality that is intrinsic to Toyota’s commitment to making ever-better cars. The large “90” race number on its doors is a historical reference to Supra’s codename and a big visual clue to the fact that this concept heralds Supra’s return in a fifth generation.”

P.s Shawn, I kinda get what you mean with the smiley face :)

Edited by Marcus GTE (see edit history)

All out of proportion, road going version will be bland and disappear among the other manufactures ;reminds me of a Hyundai Coupe ; very disappointed! FT1 Concept was as striking as the Lexus LC500 coupe; Audi rear lights , GTR roof, looks like a mishmash of cars poorly executed

The profile and proportions of the FT1 where spot on , Toyota trying to fit the FT1 design to a pre-built chassis ; it appears the Chassis engineering team and the designers had a complete disconnect

Trying to shoe horn a Design onto a chassis not fit for purpose , you can clearly see BMW made the Chassis and Toyota did their own design without any collaboration

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

Meh, I hope to be wrong but once slimmed down without wide arches etc. I think it is going to look like a Z Bemmer, which it seems to basically be :(. Looking at the great looking concept above, makes the whole thing even more of a let down. I hope I'm wrong.

b) it won't be hybrid

Strange considering they speak about race developments making their way to road cars.. and they are clearly pushing hybrid big time and have it in their other cars - just look at Lexus.

Unless this is just a back to roots sports car, bigger GT86 with more balls.

Lack of manual doesnt bother me really. The modern auto boxes shift so well it would only be slower with one.

Strange considering they speak about race developments making their way to road cars.. and they are clearly pushing hybrid big time and have it in their other cars - just look at Lexus.

Unless this is just a back to roots sports car, bigger GT86 with more balls.

Lack of manual doesnt bother me really. The modern auto boxes shift so well it would only be slower with one.

That new Yaris GRMN is a supercharged 1.8 though :)

Full story here: https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/toyota/toyota-gr-supra-racing-concept-news-details-specs/