The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NEW SUPRA!!1 erm... Toyota FT-1 Concept

Gaz6002

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish they would stop making everything look like a f1 car...

That "new supra" (which it isn't by the way, nobody official I've seen has even mentioned the word supra it's just the media) is as ugly as hell. Will probably (going off what little they have released so far) be too expensive (like the lfa but not the same league)

Thought it was just me that doesn't really like it. Some angles it looks amazing and definitely better with the wing up but there are more angles that seem to let it down. Just feels a bit too fiddly overall for me.

Been looking forward to seeing what they would show today. Genuinely excited by it.

Think the angle looking down on it from behind really shows how flaired the rear arches are.

I was wondering if the fans on the front were an aero component rather than for cooling. Probably wrong but it put me in mind of that ultimate race car Adrian Newey designed that had fans on it that manipulated airflow to aid downforce. It might direct airflow to the under tray, tying in with the rear defuser. They stated its been formed by the wind and I love how every curve and duct will have a function as well as looking great.

The functional design and active aero has supra DNA in it and that's really important.

With regards to power plant;

I agree with other comments that the 2jz won't be matched with its over engineering that was in part due to making sure the embarrassment of the 7M-GE/ 7M-GTE MKIII engines head gasket failure issue wouldn't reoccur.

Also in these economically challenging times, partnerships between companies are becoming more common to reduce costs, and this is why I was expecting the new Supra (wich I'm pretty sure they'll call it) to have the BMW/Toyota inline 6/hybrid engine they are talking about developing together (has there been a statement on the engine yet?) it would take some time for the concept to be adjusted for market, just like it would take time to develop its engine. Think NA with later turbo option too as previously stated.

The developers will be monitoring forums like this for feedback so I say to them, good work and get it made! :)

I'll take a test drive or 5 from the dealership when it comes out, but will prob need to wait 15 years+ to own one like I did with the MKIV

Edited by Marcus GTE (see edit history)

Find that hard to believe, £37k !!! but if true put me down for one in Black please.

A lot of cars are marked up for the UK market. Think of the (I think it was) the Dodge Charger when the last one was released. That was circa $40000 in the US. To buy one here was something silly like £45000.

So, if the US market is looking at circa $60k, I'd expect to see it being priced around £60-70k in the UK.

EDIT: Beaten by Mr SRD

Any news yet on the drive wheels?

Are they going RWD or 4WD? Maybe they will go for an intelligent system with say 30% front 70% rear drive, with the elecktrickery bits adding drive to the front when needed. That may be a good way to keep the "RWD" feel, but the control and traction of a 4WD set up.