The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NEW SUPRA!!1 erm... Toyota FT-1 Concept

Gaz6002

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deffo looking like a V8 5.0 in the CONCEPT....with a light-ish RWD (carbon tub is not unreasonable since the Alfa 4C). would be epic and responsive. *don't care if you can't tune it.

I agree, as TMG developed the 2urgse in twin turbo form last year and it met both Euro 5 and Euro 6 standards, also, the images ive seen, there looks like 2 IC's behind front bumper intakes with front facing fans, or they could be rads..

Straight 6 or V6 with twin turbos please, NA V8 would be naff, too hard to tune.
It doesn't matter what engine it has, it won't be "easy" to tune, at least by Supra standards. We've been spoiled by the JZs. You'll never see another engine that is over-engineered to that degree. Every part of it will be finite element analysed to death to do the job it needs to do and no more.

I suppose the 5.0 V8 from the IS/RC has to be favourite (actually, some sort of naff hybrid attempt to placate the bloody greens is probably favourite :)).

EDIT: It does look mental enough to have been designed at TVR, though.

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

I agree, as TMG developed the 2urgse in twin turbo form last year and it met both Euro 5 and Euro 6 standards, also, the images ive seen, there looks like 2 IC's behind front bumper intakes with front facing fans, or they could be rads..

Rads for sure - and the fans would be unlikely to make production in my opinion - too much of a hindrance to airflow at speed. Turbo charging maybe of the times for small capacity units...but not for a car that's supposed to be stressed and sinuous. The clues are all in the LF-A, you have to assume it's A) to fill the gap from the NA GT-86 to the NA LF-A (ignoring the RC-F for the moment). Not all Supra's have been turbocharged. Toyota have clearly gone down the NA route in all other vehicles, I can't see them launching a V8 engined FT-1 with turbo's on. I can only envisage an "ultimate" version of the engine they have already (which is very light and advanced)...without treading on the LF-A's toes.

I'd basically assume this is an upscaled FT-86 with a V engine in stead of a boxer. I'll be happy to be proved wrong and find out they are 'charging it somehow - but I can't see it.

I think they should just put a slightly better than BPU'd 2JZ in it but not single turbo :D

Also the looks are disappointing. Whilst I think it looks amazing it's ruined the concept of a supra for me. It doesn't look remotely modifiable aesthetically. It looks like a rich persons toy, even in 13 years time it will cost waaaay more than the MKIV. Same with the GTR, each modified one doesn't look much different from the next modified one. Aren't they meant to be average Joe cars at affordable prices that outshine the higher end cars on the car scene?!

Is there any way we can boost this thread up the Google search list? after all, if you think about it we are some of the global experts when it comes to the current Supra brand, it'd be good to get our comments out there, you never know we could help shape the new Supra in a very small way.

Big question I have, as all the others bar the power plant have been answered already for me......is it a 2+2, or a 2 seater? I couldn't tell from the video.

As others have said, the side and rear profile are gorgeous, but the front end needs some work in my opinion. It's too.......nosey, I guess :innocent:

The "nose" in the middle of the front just ruins it for me. I nice front like the Koenigseegg CCX would finish it off nicely for me. The lights can stay, but that front bumper HAS to go.

The interior looks great, lots of gadgets, but I can see half of them not making it to production.

It looks so good from that angle. Just hate the front end view... :(

I agree, I absolutely LOVE it from every angle except the front, far to much going on at the front IMO.

On a side note - it's good to see they have made the concept in the best colour for a supra :innocent:

In fact, looking again, it looks like the concept may be a 2 + 2 seater, but it looks pretty narrow behind the front seats :taped: However, the front seats may give it away, as they don't appear to be fixed back seats.

Needs to be a 2+2 to compete in (what we presume to be) the target market of the GTR.

Edited by listy (see edit history)