The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Europe

Dnk

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Le Pen gets voted in in France, a French referendum votes OUT, EU finished. Kaput. Finito. A failed social and political experiment. But a hugely costly one.

We can only hope.

Has anyone followed the huge rape crisis in Germany and Sweden since their borders opened. It's increased 1400% apparently. No wonder the guardian is reporting a rise in right wing groups in Germany when they aren't doing anything about it.

They still don't get it, Juncker and Merkel now saying we need to leave fast and do it now etc etc, again telling us what to do and they wonder why we're leaving.

I've actually been surprised by Merkel, by saying we need to be calm and sort out negotiations.

She's in a tough position.

She needs us more than we need them, but she also needs to show she's in control and working on behalf of her country.

Brussels are only trying to force us for one reason.

The sooner article 50 is invoked, the sooner they have the power.

The longer we wait, the more chance we have of getting other countries on board with trade preferentials.

That will put us in the strongest position, because them the EU know we don't need them.

Not sure about that, their is no way your going to get a good deal off someone you insult

As amusing as he was today, it's made me slightly embarrassed to be British when I think the world will be watching that sound bite.

As amusing as he was today, it's made me slightly embarrassed to be British when I think the world will be watching that sound bite.

I truly believe many in the EU parliament quite like him on the quiet and take him with a good pinch of salt.

The Brussels Broadcasting Company had a somewhat biased sound editor, he actually got a lot of clapping

and well humoured guffaws, which lightened it all a bit.

They need to keep cheerful, one more big player decides

to leave and the For Sale signs go up on a lot of Brussels real estate

Brussels are only trying to force us for one reason.

The sooner article 50 is invoked, the sooner they have the power.

The longer we wait, the more chance we have of getting other countries on board with trade preferentials.

That will put us in the strongest position, because them the EU know we don't need them.

Brussels are trying to hurry us up, so that the situation can be cleared up. I don't think it's a power-grab. The EU is a club, and one of the main members has said informally they no longer want to be in the club. The other members don't really know where they stand, they're in limbo until it's resolved.

Another analogy is a company where one of the board of directors has informally said he wants to leave, he's no longer interested in being a director. It's only official when the director hands in a formal resignation letter (equivalent to invoking Article 50). Untill the director does that, the rest of the board don't know whether to involve him in confidential company meetings or not, whether to give him a say in company direction or not. It's difficult to leave him out because he's still a board member and has the responsibilities and obligations that go with it. And he's the Chief Financial Officer (or whatever) so it's hard to just cut him out. But he clearly doesn't want to be there any more, his heart's not in it. As an unlikely extreme, he might even try to stuff things up for everyone else.

In the director analogy, the company is able to oust the director. But with Brexit, only the UK govt (not Merkel, not Juncker, etc) can give the resignation letter, and they can't be forced into doing so.

I agree with you there. He's a good speaker, but some (not all) of the content will just wind others up unecessarily, and we don't need that.

Theoretically, there is nothing to stop a British Government unilaterally withdrawing from the EU by simply repealing the 1972 European Communities Act. Article 50 compels only the EU to seek a negotiation, not the withdrawing member state. However, while this may be the case in principle, such an approach would likely damage the UK’s chances of striking a preferential trade agreement with the EU after exit – since its first act as an ‘independent’ nation would have been to have reneged on its EU treaty commitments. It would also mean there is no transition period, so EU legislation along with the UK’s free trade agreements via the EU lapse immediately. Since some EU law applies in the UK directly, the UK would need to legislate to replace it. (http://openeurope.org.uk/today/blog/the-mechanics-of-leaving-the-eu-explaining-article-50/)

The more people are aware of this the better