The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Europe

Dnk

But if a 2nd Scottish indy referendum happens before Article 50 is invoked, they might not need to apply at all: they'd just stay in as they are today.

Article 50 is due for October, are they likely to get it all in by then, plus I dont see how that would work, Scotland is only represented as part of the UK of which is leaving.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was buried away in the tory manifesto and the tories are a minority party in Scotland, plus, the general election was 8 months away at that point, so your argument is mince!

The Scots have had the wrong end of a 215 year old, one sided Union. It's time we had our Independence Day.

I cannot believe the hypocrite in you? Brexit has arrived, so we're more independent, yet you say you want another union referendum so that you can leave and then join the EU which takes control away again. Beggars belief! Besides at the last vote you had you were told you wouldn't be able to join the EU anyway.

Nicola sturgeon is a total hypocrite.

Remember when she was fighting against the UK about being independent regardless of EU membership and now shes saying about oh we want to leave and join the EU.... I actually had respect for her fighting for her country but seems she's just a sell out hypocrite.

Also anyone seen this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/second-eu-referendum-petition-will-be-considered-for-parliament-debate-as-signatures-hit-100000-a7100721.html

A petition for a second one because they didn't get their own way....

I didn't make a petition when the Tories got in. I thought it was stupid and moaned but still didn't go as far as starting a petition

I cannot believe the hypocrite in you? Brexit has arrived, so we're more independent, yet you say you want another union referendum so that you can leave and then join the EU which takes control away again. Beggars belief! Besides at the last vote you had you were told you wouldn't be able to join the EU anyway.

Nailed it.

Article 50 is due for October, are they likely to get it all in by then, plus I dont see how that would work, Scotland is only represented as part of the UK of which is leaving.

Cameron said he'd be out by October, but I don't think there's been a commitment on the timescale of Article 50 yet. Who knows, it might be early next year (much to the digust of the rest of the EU probably). It sounds like Cameron will leave it to his successor to invoke Article 50.

It would be very hurried, but it *might* be possible. To be clear, I'd be gutted if Scotland voted for independence.

So what was the final outcome of the vote? Did Boaty McBoatface win?

Votey McVoteface won.

Over exaggeration at its finest today. Everyone all doom and gloom when there's nothing to worry about. We left the EU and got rid of Cameron.

We are only 8 hours in to the Brexit decision, and Morgan Stanley already moving 2000 jobs from London to Dublin or Frankfurt? More to come I think.

I cannot believe the hypocrite in you {Westcoaster}? Brexit has arrived, so we're more independent, yet you say you want another union referendum so that you can leave and then join the EU which takes control away again. Beggars belief! Besides at the last vote you had you were told you wouldn't be able to join the EU anyway.

I'm increasingly holding the contrarian view on here, but I see Westcoaster's point. If news reports are to be believed, one of the big things that persuaded Scots to vote against independence 2 years ago was the fact they'd have to re-apply to the EU if they wanted to stay in. Brexit has fundametally changed that bargain, so that gives them grounds for another referendum.

I can see your frustration in some Scots wanting to stay in a EU union, and not a UK union. But they're not the same thing, and don't exert the same constraints. Whether the constraints are better or worse is something that could be debated for months and I don't intend to do that here, but that's what the view of some Scots is.

If I was Scottish and I thought being in the EU was a good thing, but I was indifferent to being in the UK, I'd be pretty peeved today.

Cameron said he'd be out by October, but I don't think there's been a commitment on the timescale of Article 50 yet. Who knows, it might be early next year (much to the digust of the rest of the EU probably). It sounds like Cameron will leave it to his successor to invoke Article 50.

It would be very hurried, but it *might* be possible. To be clear, I'd be gutted if Scotland voted for independence.

Votey McVoteface won.

We are only 8 hours in to the Brexit decision, and Morgan Stanley already moving 2000 jobs from London to Dublin or Frankfurt? More to come I think.

I'm increasingly holding the contrarian view on here, but I see Westcoaster's point. If news reports are to be believed, one of the big things that persuaded Scots to vote against independence 2 years ago was the fact they'd have to re-apply to the EU if they wanted to stay in. Brexit has fundametally changed that bargain, so that gives them grounds for another referendum.

I can see your frustration in some Scots wanting to stay in a EU union, and not a UK union. But they're not the same thing, and don't exert the same constraints. Whether the constraints are better or worse is something that could be debated for months and I don't intend to do that here, but that's what the view of some Scots is.

If I was Scottish and I thought being in the EU was a good thing, but I was indifferent to being in the UK, I'd be pretty peeved today.

That was lie: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/morgan-stanley-brexit-eu-referendum-jobs-dublin-frankfurt-a7100911.html

Pure fear rubbish as usual

Fair enough, my bad.

Sorry I know I'm being over enthusiastic. It's just bothering me that the negativity that everyone is showing is the very thing creating the issues. The bank of England's statement made the pound rise today. It's bouncing back nicely yet people still want to bring us down. I have no idea why. My guess would be that some of these corporate billionaires will take a hit in their wallets!

Sorry I know I'm being over enthusiastic. It's just bothering me that the negativity that everyone is showing is the very thing creating the issues. The bank of England's statement made the pound rise today. It's bouncing back nicely yet people still want to bring us down. I have no idea why. My guess would be that some of these corporate billionaires will take a hit in their wallets!

No need to apologise. Although the Morgan Stanley 2000 jobs story turned out to be false, I still fear that Brexit will be bad for the economy. At the moment, that's just guesswork by me. If I'm proved wrong, happy days!

I'm not surprised the trading markets have bounced back a bit. They'll be choppy for a while, but they'll be OK. It's jobs and company profitability that concerns me.

London is where 'the action is' in terms of finance.

Any finance orientated services company making such decisions to leave London/UK today would most likely be doing so out of 'board level protest' at the referendum result.

Anyways,

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/morgan-stanley-brexit-eu-referendum-jobs-dublin-frankfurt-a7100911.html

No need to apologise. Although the Morgan Stanley 2000 jobs story turned out to be false, I still fear that Brexit will be bad for the economy. At the moment, that's just guesswork by me. If I'm proved wrong, happy days!

I'm not surprised the trading markets have bounced back a bit. They'll be choppy for a while, but they'll be OK. It's jobs and company profitability that concerns me.

I think as long as businesses plan ahead as to their long term trading partners then we should be fine. I can't see unless a business doesn't prepare in the next 2 years how things could go that badly. The worst thing to do is cause panic in the markets and cause investment to leave. We're still up there we just need to "carry on" as we always do and show this doesn't phase us as a nation

London is where 'the action is' in terms of finance.

Any finance orientated services company making such decisions to leave London/UK today would most likely be doing so out of 'board level protest' at the referendum result.

Anyways,

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/morgan-stanley-brexit-eu-referendum-jobs-dublin-frankfurt-a7100911.html

Beat you to it ;)

Totally agree though it's just protest. Once they realise they can't stamp their feet and get their own way I think it'll be fine.

/QUOTE]

Thats not far from the truth actually.

The betting shops around the country had remain as a winner.... leading up to the vote the stock market was reacting as if the UK would remain. A lot of bets were placed in favour of remain. Possibly some very large bets, which is why the markets and the pound took a hit first thing this morning.

Once that element of 'trading' was over and done with, then we see the real value of the pound and stocks return.

It's not what I voted for but a majority is a majority. If remain wanted to win they should have gone and voted instead of staying inside because they were too hung over or because it was raining or because they thought they were guaranteed to win anyway (bloody students). These petitions are stupid and petty - the country has voted for better or for worse.

Same for Scotland. EU referendum was promised in the tory manifesto before they had their referendum. When you vote without researching something properly you get what you pay for. Pushing for a new vote every few months because you got the wrong answer isn't democracy.