The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Europe

Dnk

You stick to your view of Scottish politics washed through your choice of right wing newspaper and I'll look at it as a resident Scot and political activist. If you think you are well informed on Scottish politics, thanks for your interest, but you're wrong.

I don't get the Scot's why do you want to leave the UK & stay in the eu? If you think Westminster ignore's you? Do you really believe the eu will pay you more attention? What about your currancy under written by the bank of ENGLAND & that is only because the 3 banks in Scotland that are allowed to print Scottish notes deposit the equivalent in real money with them?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160626/5a6b8a4710e72d7660c1356dfd2835f4.jpg

/QUOTE]

I think the "older generation" means Baby Boomers, not people who fought in the 2nd world war. There will be a few who fought, they'd be 90+ years old now. Baby Boomers had extraordinary advances in quality of life, coupled with houses they could afford, final-salary pensions, jobs for life in many cases, a generous welfare state, etc.

I have never been a fan of Boris Johnson, (despite one member on here claiming to be his son, can anyone remember who that was?) and I was quite surprised to see him come out for the leave campaign.

However I read this today:

http://news.sky.com/story/1717965/boris-sets-out-vision-for-britain-after-brexit and have to say I thought it was the best thing he has come out with to date. I just hope he and his chums can pull it off and make it work in the way he has set out.

Its been a really interesting thread this and made some great informative (and some less so) reading, we managed to get a political discussion to 86 pages without it getting locked, is this a forum record?

I think the "older generation" means Baby Boomers, not people who fought in the 2nd world war. There will be a few who fought, they'd be 90+ years old now. Baby Boomers had extraordinary advances in quality of life, coupled with houses they could afford, final-salary pensions, jobs for life in many cases, a generous welfare state, etc.

Yes I do understand the baby boomer generation. The point remains the same though. Why fight 2 world wars to stop the Germans taking control only to then give them it anyway without a fight? Moronic isn't a harsh enough word.

What do you class as the baby boomers?

And I'm pretty sure the older generation means the ones who were around in the war, since many of the young claim the older generation shouldn't have voted because they'll either be dead soon, or don't have long to live.

And I'm pretty sure the older generation means the ones who were around in the war, since many of the young claim the older generation shouldn't have voted because they'll either be dead soon, or don't have long to live.

I haven't heard that claim about not long to live/dying before: if people are saying that, it's disgusting. But if you ask around, you'll get all kinds of crazy opinions: I've heard from a retired couple that they voted leave because "they considered they didn't have an easy life, so why should the younger generation have it easy?" There's so many things that are bizarre about that statement, it's not worth any more time discussing it. My point is that there are some strange views out there, but they hopefully/thankfully don't make up a significant proportion.

As a proportion of voters, not that many people were around in the war such that they would remember it, certainly not old enough to have fought in it. That demographic (those 16+ years old in the war) wouldn't have had enough numbers by itself to swing the result. We digress though.

It's even all over social media. I'm ashamed to say several of my 'friends' have have said as much, and pretty mortified that my 17 year old cousin said the same on Facebook, even though our 95 year old war veteran grandad is on there.

Just seen someone saying the same on BBC at Glastonbury, to the point he said his Gran would be "dead in a couple of years anyway".

I haven't heard that claim about not long to live/dying before: if people are saying that, it's disgusting. But if you ask around, you'll get all kinds of crazy opinions: I've heard from a retired couple that they voted leave because "they considered they didn't have an easy life, so why should the younger generation have it easy?" There's so many things that are bizarre about that statement, it's not worth any more time discussing it. My point is that there are some strange views out there, but they hopefully/thankfully don't make up a significant proportion.

As a proportion of voters, not that many people were around in the war such that they would remember it, certainly not old enough to have fought in it. That demographic (those 16+ years old in the war) wouldn't have had enough numbers by itself to swing the result. We digress though.

I've seen news pages with the age groups of voters split into 3 groups, mentioning how many voted in/out, % of those who actually voted (of the kids group only 25% ish actually did, the rest couldn't give a Fuck) and EXPECTED LIFE REMAINING based on average life expectancy!!

It didn't used the term "this lot will die soon" but it might of bloody well.

It's even all over social media. I'm ashamed to say several of my 'friends' have have said as much, and pretty mortified that my 17 year old cousin said the same on Facebook, even though our 95 year old war veteran grandad is on there.

Just seen someone saying the same on BBC at Glastonbury, to the point he said his Gran would be "dead in a couple of years anyway".

I've seen the same all over Facebook. I've become a bit of an keyboard warrior on there reminding people how disgusting that attitude is. To be honest though I've told a few people to their face at how disgusting it is but have now given up. Can't fight stupid with logic

I have never been a fan of Boris Johnson, (despite one member on here claiming to be his son, can anyone remember who that was?) and I was quite surprised to see him come out for the leave campaign.

However I read this today:

http://news.sky.com/story/1717965/boris-sets-out-vision-for-britain-after-brexit and have to say I thought it was the best thing he has come out with to date. I just hope he and his chums can pull it off and make it work in the way he has set out.

Its been a really interesting thread this and made some great informative (and some less so) reading, we managed to get a political discussion to 86 pages without it getting locked, is this a forum record?

Boris is more intelligent than most people give him credit for. People can actually relate to him, yes he messes up sometimes but we all do that. Unless your names CW.

Just found burnt off pieces of teddy bear polyester stuffing in 3 separate places of my garden today. As much as I would wish it is just coincidence, I can't help but to think that for some reason vote Leave made closet rasists/nationalists to crawl from their holes.

No, i do not have any problems with my neighbors, nor am I in conflict with anyone.

Just found burnt off pieces of teddy bear polyester stuffing in 3 separate places of my garden today. As much as I would wish it is just coincidence, I can't help but to think that for some reason vote Leave made closet rasists/nationalists to crawl from their holes.

No, i do not have any problems with my neighbors, nor am I in conflict with anyone.

I wouldn't put it past remain voters doing this and blaming the other side to get their way. Seeing as the news isn't covering their behaviour:

Boris is more intelligent than most people give him credit for. People can actually relate to him, yes he messes up sometimes but we all do that. Unless your names CW.

from the last week:

"Go on Terry, stroke him, he's used to you now, he's fine"

"Shit, sorry mate, wrap that around your arm, I'll get some Dettol and a bandage, hang in there, it'll ease soon" "You NAUGHTY dog....".

-----------------------------------

"Hit `im, he's a gobby *@*&%, it's the only thing he understands" "Shit, you OK mate, never seen him act like that before, he must have been to the gym or summat. See if you can open your eye....".

Keeping my mouth shut and my head down at the moment :)

I despair at the attitudes displayed since the vote....can you imagine the position we would be in should something like WW2" ever happen again, the "younger robbed generation" would want paying top wages to help defend their country and freedom!

Hang on. actually should a similar mustachioed corporal want to lead a united Europe they would probably be the first to volunteer!

Throughout the campaign, I used the beeb's Reality Check website as the best source of info for unbiased stuff. Whether you share that view depends on what you think of the BBC, but it seems to me that the web page had properly constructed arguments, with sources and "facts" referenced.

See here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36641390

I get the impression that a big factor on how people voted was concerns on immigration. So this makes for unwelcome reading:

The campaign claim: Immigration levels could be controlled if the UK left the EU. This would relieve pressure on public services.

The current claim: Immigration levels can't be radically reduced by leaving the EU. Fears about immigration did not influence the way people voted.

Next step is to leave the EEA, then a breath of fresh air can blow across this (just) green and pleasant land, as that's the final step to no longer being hamstrung by the EU and its legal system. It will already take months and months to disentangle ourselves from all this junk. The change from us joining the Common Market to what we have slowly and insidiously become part of today was massive, our divorce will take patience and some cost. The freedom is surely worth it though!

Throughout the campaign, I used the beeb's Reality Check website as the best source of info for unbiased stuff. Whether you share that view depends on what you think of the BBC, but it seems to me that the web page had properly constructed arguments, with sources and "facts" referenced.

See here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36641390

I get the impression that a big factor on how people voted was concerns on immigration. So this makes for unwelcome reading:

I voted for leave because the EU is corrupt as hell, proven to basically pocket £4billion a year and means the government has no accountability or power.

Immigration was a side note

And to say the BBC has been impartial is way off the mark. They didn't mind reporting the supposed racism but the Remain side death threats and violent attacks were NOT reported. I'm sorry but that's totally biased