The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official 2016 F1 Thread

Nic

Erm, what? I was referring to F1 in the mid to late 1990's, not sure why you assumed I was suggesting going back to the death traps of the 60's. A circuit can be challenging without being dangerous. These are supposed to be the best open wheel drivers in the world, and I expect them to be challenged.

Were you trying to belittle me with that last line? To be honest I think you knew what I meant but you went with that instead.

Yes and in the mid to late 90's if you exceeded track limits you'd be in a sandtrap. (you didn't mention you meant the 90's).

Yes a circuit can be challenging without being dangerous.

So why is posting a link about the dangerous history of F1 belittling?

Of course I'm psychic.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The track limits, it's a joke. I remember a time in F1 and racing in general where this never existed. Watch F1 for 5 minutes at a circuit like Silverstone and you'll be hearing about that every 30 seconds. It's getting old and I'm sick of it.

It's bad enough having to listen to David Croft and all the he spews line after line, but hearing about the track limits constantly really makes me want to kill myself.

I've had a prune Alex as your post was a bit intense, I doubt anyone wants to read a profanity fuelled rant. Try to use more socially acceptable words please.

Yes and in the mid to late 90's if you exceeded track limits you'd be in a sandtrap. (you didn't mention you meant the 90's).

Yes a circuit can be challenging without being dangerous.

So why is posting a link about the dangerous history of F1 belittling?

Of course I'm psychic.

Well, I was kind of annoyed that you assumed I wanted to go back to the days of people dying in just about every race, clearly you don't think much of me.:shrug:

Well, I was kind of annoyed that you assumed I wanted to go back to the days of people dying in just about every race, clearly you don't think much of me.:shrug:

Think that was your assumption, not mine. Try not to read too much into forums, things can be misconstrued easily.

Nobody talking about the radio messages?

I really try to avoid the team bias argument, as i'd like to THINK they wouldnt do that, but jeeeaz they don't help themselves.

Refusing to help hamilton in baku over the radio.

Didn't hesitate giving Nico advise over the radio... Engine Modes and how to avoid the issue...

In Nico's interview after:

"Finally the gearbox issue which was a major, critical problem that nearly ended my race there. Then with some advice on some switches they managed to sort it out and I managed to continue and get to the end of the race, thankfully."

So he's admitting he received information about what switches etc to change.

So we must take that if they'd not offered this advice he would have probably not been in the position he finished in, cheating?

Rosberg got penalised for the radio message thing. Whilst Im sort of happy because I don't rate Tossberg, in the same breath its bullshit. Drivers arent technicians, they don't know every facet of how the car works so if they need technical help that will save the team getting a penalty, they should get it.

Fair enough I accept it could be coded etc but they car is clearly in trouble and if the team can say "Mode B" then they should be allowed to.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/36760027

Full Stewards statement

The stewards, having received a report from the Race Director, heard from the driver and team representatives and examined audio evidence, have considered the following matter, determine a breach of the regulations has been committed.

'Reason: Having considered the matter extensively, the stewards determined that the team gave some instructions to the driver that we specifically permitted under Technical Directive 014-16.

'However, the Stewards determined that the team went further and gave instructions to the driver that were not permitted under the Technical Directive, and were in Breach of Art.27.1 of the Sporting Regulations, that the driver must drive the car alone and unaided.'

• 2 weeks later...

More bullshit from the FIA today it seems. Not only did it take them 3 or 4 hours to decide they would investigate Rosberg's lap (yes, that's 3 or 4 hours to decide whether it actually needed investigating, not 3 or 4 hours to make a decision on said alleged infringement), but at the end of it all they said fuck it and decided not to do anything anyway.

And now they are saying some cars could be disqualified altogether from qualifying because of the 107% rule. Pathetic. I suppose the people at the FIA have to keep themselves in a job somehow.

Tough one to call for me, technically Rosberg was within the rules but in the name of common sense and safety he should've been slowing down more than what he did.

Would've kicked up a right storm if Nico had won instead of Lewis

The rules are being interpreted wrongly aren't they, it states be prepared to stop, didn't look like Rosberg was

prepared to stop in the slightest, a small lift and straight back on it.

Hulkenberg did the same apparently on one of the straights and it was deemed ok, he did a

little lift then back on the gas and was doing 300kph through a yellow flag area, that's just not on in my book

That's the thing with F1 unfortunately. Wherever there's a rule, teams will do everything they can to bend the rules to suit themselves. It's going to get someone killed one day. This is a pretty good example, Rosberg argued that the track was drying and naturally he'd be going quicker than the reference lap but still managed to slow to less than what is expected in the rules. He also had no reason to stop so he can't be nailed for failing to prepare to do so. I guess radios will be able to help the drivers out as well. He may have been told it's okay to keep it pinned as there's no danger.

The FIA can't do anything to Rosberg as technically, he didn't do anything wrong. So I'd say Rosberg and Hulkenburg's decisions were correct. But I agree with you, common sense dictates you can't stop at those speeds. Rules need revised a little

The Red Bull glory years were partly down to their secret traction control system that was technically within the rules. But really it should've been banned as it was, in the end, a driver aid that was not allowed.

If you go karting everytime the briefing states, under yellow flags slow and be prepared to stop, Nico doing a purple sector doesn't constitute that. We all know what they mean and safety being compromised like that is daft and the FIA officials sanctioned it. See what happens when a marshall is hit.