The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official 2016 F1 Thread

Nic

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh look, the fatal accident waiting to happen Verstappen is still immune to any form of punishment. It's actually at the point where it's funny now, I presume the rule book for Verstappen is the one from Death Race, if he runs over elderly people and small children that's how he scores points.

I have to agree with you mate. people want more drama in F1, but not at the expense of a serious accident.

And Magnussen's off, speaks volumes for the levels of safety in F1 nowadays. An off at Eau Rouge at that speed in any other class would mean you aint walking away.

Also big result for McLaren as well :)

First corner of Monza was amazing. Several poor starts from several key drivers, fantastic.

The rest of the race was.... bland. All in the tyre strategy that one!

I want to see Button on Top Gear :D Hes done amazing things for British F1, being such a cool dude.

Also I bet we only need to wait 15 years and we will see mini Massa on the grid somewhere!

Has anyone heard anything about Kvyat yet? Apparently he might not be at the next race according to post race press?

Hopefully for the better :)

I heard Bernie has been asked to stick around for the next 3 years to do a sort of handover by the end of it. He'll have died of old age before he's out the sport at this rate!

Hes leaving only a decade too late, we cant have everything though can we!

Im really excited for where F1 is headed - the cars getting developed, closer racing, possibility of more races being added to the calendar due to the sale

For me one thing that would spice things up is get rid of the blue flag rule. I understand that it is there for safety, but it removes from the thrill of drivers driving and overtaking, not getting handed the overtake.

Why not reverse the meaning of Blue flags to = Fast car you are approaching back marker. But they then have to get passed and car in front is not obliged to mover over.

For me one thing that would spice things up is get rid of the blue flag rule. I understand that it is there for safety, but it removes from the thrill of drivers driving and overtaking, not getting handed the overtake.

Why not reverse the meaning of Blue flags to = Fast car you are approaching back marker. But they then have to get passed and car in front is not obliged to mover over.

If you take the blue flag away then teams like torro rosso would 'hold up' Merc or Ferrari more than if lapped by Red Bull, or Haas would allow Ferrari through quicker as they supply their engines, and believe me this used to happen. Or if a driver doesn't particularly like another they may delay them disproportionately to another. I hear what you say though, but would be exploited.

I hear what you say though, but would be exploited.

Which would mean more excitement, rather than it being a procession race or Formula snore.

FIA could regulate it to make that not happen, they regulate the merd out of every other aspect.

Apart from the safety aspect which to be honest is a poor excuse as it can be handled in other ways, I do not see the benefit of blue flags apart from allowing cars to pass easily which is not racing no matter how you want to tart it up.

Removing or reversing the blue flag wouldn't and shouldn't happen in my opinion.

What you want is for it to be optional rather than mandatory, with no penalty if you choose to ignore it.

I still see no benefit to it though. I think most drivers would still choose to move over. Fighting against another car that's effectively in a different race is just wasting time for both parties. As previously said, team orders will happen from time to time, but for the most part it would remain the same.

I agree with Annabella, it would all just come down to politics at some point and that shouldn't dictate the result of a race.

I'd even consider rethinking DRS or something. Yes it was put in place to encourage passing but it only ever occurs on straights now and once the car is past it's usually long gone a few corners later due to their tyres/fuel being better. Free up the tyres and fuel to have the cars running full tilt at all times and you'll soon see overtaking the way it used to be. Verstappen won't know what hit him trying to heavily defend that sort of thing!

• 4 weeks later...

One of the best races I've seen in a while, although I don't like nico I think the 10 second penalty from the brush with raikkonen was obsurd. It's Motorsport for gods sake if they take away the edge it will kill the sport.

The best bit was the two red bulls going wheel to wheel at the end, great driving.