The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official 2016 F1 Thread

Nic

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Max getting a penalty and Lewis not is a joke (and I want Hamilton to win). Lewis gained at least 50yds and only slowed for the SC. The only reason Max got that penalty was Vettel and Ferrari throwing the toys out the pram.

I can understand Vettels comments though. In the heat of the moment, it would be easy to forget the world is listening and allow your frustrations to get the best of you.

Although im a Hamilton fan i'd expect Lewis not getting a penalty is due to the nature of the corner and what he did.

For example.

When Max went into the corner he made no attempt to even try and make the corner he just put in a straight line and went for it.

However when Hamilton missed the corner if you watch the on-board, he tried to turn to make the corner but then over-steered quite a bit and ended up on the grass, only at that point did he take the grass option.

Between that and being first and ending up first (as rosberg said himself) i expect that's why he got away with it.

Although im a Hamilton fan i'd expect Lewis not getting a penalty is due to the nature of the corner and what he did.

For example.

When Max went into the corner he made no attempt to even try and make the corner he just put in a straight line and went for it.

However when Hamilton missed the corner if you watch the on-board, he tried to turn to make the corner but then over-steered quite a bit and ended up on the grass, only at that point did he take the grass option.

Between that and being first and ending up first (as rosberg said himself) i expect that's why he got away with it.

Fair point, but I think the rules are if you leave the track and gain an advantage then you're open for punishment.

Lewis left the track and gained around 50 yards. Max done the same and gained next to nothing. The gap was pretty much the same as they exited turn 3 if I remember right. Even when the Race Engineer said to "give the place back", they said that it was the wrong call as he hadn't actually gained an advantage and Vettel wasn't attempting an overtake into turn one when Max made the mistake.

Yes, Lewis was in first and ended up first, but at the same time Max was third and came back on third?

I just don't see how you can give one person a penalty and not the other for making the same mistake. I've not watched the footage again, but if I remember it right Max clearly slowed as he went along the grass and ended up level with Vettel, but Lewis just lifted and ended up a fair distance ahead and (as far as I can tell) only slowed when the SC was deployed.