The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official 2016 F1 Thread

Nic

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, what a race for Hamilton fans (like me :D ) Vettel got a scorcher of a start but Lewis played the tyre game perfectly, making. Massive result especially as Cockberg self destructed. I really believe this is the season defining race.

Congrats to Williams for the 3rd place too.

Is anyone else starting to lose their patience with the tyre "strategies"? It seems that the difference in wear life between compunds is virtually nothing, and doubling/halving the life of the same compound brings no benefit/penalty.

We now have 5 dry tyre compounds, which you would think would open up the strategy element, but the FIA only allow 3 of those compounds at any 1 race. Furthermore, there is the other rule about being forced to use the mandatory compound in the race, then another rule which forces you to use at least 2 different compounds during the race.

We now have a situation where the tyre strategy doesn't exist as such as there is no way to out-think someone as all the compounds are so similar.

I tuned in expecting chaos in at least the first lap, wish I hadn't bothered. Hamilton was a mess all weekend. Will have to go and try find footage of Rosberg falling now lol

GP2 race was a different story. Complete pandemonium from start to finish and the driver who started last ended up winning the race!

• 2 weeks later...

Only 1 car was investigated by the stewards, despite what Rosberg says. Tito Wolff was hugely unimpressed and I can understand why, but you have 2 drivers, one a 3 times world champion, and one a petulant child. Hamilton was faster the move was legitimate, Rosberg tried to squeeze him out. It failed and he suffered.

Worst case is they impose team orders.

But how about Jensen, a proper 6th place, in the dry, on merit. fantastic.

Only 1 car was investigated by the stewards, despite what Rosberg says. Tito Wolff was hugely unimpressed and I can understand why, but you have 2 drivers, one a 3 times world champion, and one a petulant child. Hamilton was faster the move was legitimate, Rosberg tried to squeeze him out. It failed and he suffered.

Worst case is they impose team orders.

But how about Jensen, a proper 6th place, in the dry, on merit. fantastic.

Hamilton has also proved on occasions he can act like a child,seems the case with most of them !

The track limits, it's a joke. I remember a time in F1 and racing in general where this never existed. Watch F1 for 5 minutes at a circuit like Silverstone and you'll be hearing about that every 30 seconds. It's getting old and I'm sick of it.

It's bad enough having to listen to David Croft and all the he spews line after line, but hearing about the track limits constantly really makes me want to kill myself.

Maybe so. But if you cast your mind back running over the track limits gave serious consequences as you'd end up either bogged in a sand trap on in little pieces in a barrier. This is why they're being mentioned a lot. So its safety or no safety. Which do you prefer? Cars out of the race and drivers injured/dead as used to be or penalising for exceeding track limits (only when it gives an advantage) and safer drivers?

If you're too young to remember http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14el38_grand-prix-the-killer-years-documentary_auto more modern after 33 mins.

Erm, what? I was referring to F1 in the mid to late 1990's, not sure why you assumed I was suggesting going back to the death traps of the 60's. A circuit can be challenging without being dangerous. These are supposed to be the best open wheel drivers in the world, and I expect them to be challenged.

Were you trying to belittle me with that last line? To be honest I think you knew what I meant but you went with that instead.