The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drift Bears Project Zeus

drift_bear

Popped up to the body shop today to see how they are getting on, also to give them the OK to strip it right back to bare metal and sort out any imperfections. They are going to fill in the 3rd brake light and the top washer jet, I'm also gonna be putting brand new seals and boot rubbers on while I'm at it.

Here's a coupe of progress pics, will pop up next week at some point and see how they are getting on and hopefully have some more updates

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Getting there mate, guessing the rear wiper going too .. Will give it a nice cleaner look

You doing anything with the rear crash bar ?

The rear wiper was removed previously, I used to have the ridox roof spoiler so it hid the washer jet lol. The rear crash bar is in really good condition tbh, it will be cleaned up, treated and painted at the same time

Can I just say, having had experience of painting over a good few years, when its rubbed down that far and especially if its back to bare metal in places, its as easy to change the colour now, if you were wanting to do that. Just a thought :)

Can I just say, having had experience of painting over a good few years, when its rubbed down that far and especially if its back to bare metal in places, its as easy to change the colour now, if you were wanting to do that. Just a thought :)

As I've said various times, we shall see what happens, I'm in no rush to get the car down just now

Why have they not sealed up the interior of the car before striping the paint. Interior is going to be a complete mess.

Covered the seats up but what about the rest of it :scare:

And the wheels too should be on spares or covered.

I'm taking the full interior out when it's back anyway to clean it and fit the roll cage, plus my wheels are getting a colour change soon aswell. The car will be sealed up proper once they start using the chemical paint stripper and then obviously paint

No need to move to Japan now :p, but glad you managed to buy your Supra back and everything is going smoothly:thumbs:

Haha if I get the chance to go I'm taking it! Will just mean the supra will go into storage. It's been a hard battle getting it back to the way I sold it, but slowly getting there thank god!

Haha if I get the chance to go I'm taking it! Will just mean the supra will go into storage. It's been a hard battle getting it back to the way I sold it, but slowly getting there thank god!

Assumedly, as yours is a J-Spec car anyway, yes it was exported to the UK back in year "X" but, as it was previously a Japanese domestic registered vehicle, you should, in theory be able to re import it and take it with you - if you felt so inclined?

Might be an option if you are moving there permanently

Big job Alex,

I'd hate to think how much you've spent on this car changing your mind all the time! :D but that's the game i suppose.

As you're going for a full strip, why not look at a different silver rather than OEM? One of the aston martin silvers would be my choice, stock ish but with "more"

Doesn't Japan have silly tax rates for old cars? it's the reason they are all exported isn't it?

Assumedly, as yours is a J-Spec car anyway, yes it was exported to the UK back in year "X" but, as it was previously a Japanese domestic registered vehicle, you should, in theory be able to re import it and take it with you - if you felt so inclined?

Might be an option if you are moving there permanently

I've already looked in to that and I know what is involved in getting it back across

Big job Alex,

I'd hate to think how much you've spent on this car changing your mind all the time! :D but that's the game i suppose.

As you're going for a full strip, why not look at a different silver rather than OEM? One of the aston martin silvers would be my choice, stock ish but with "more"

Doesn't Japan have silly tax rates for old cars? it's the reason they are all exported isn't it?

Yeah I've spent a fortune on the exterior but as you say Ric, that's the fun and games of these cars lol.

I'm not sure what colour of silver I'll be going yet, really want to try keep as oem as possible

It's more the shaken that results in older cars being imported, not so much the tax.

Popped up to drop off the new windscreen seal to the body shop and to get a quick update, I was hoping to drop of a half carbon trd spoiler I bought, but it's being held up at customs (no shock there!)

Body is prepped and ready to start the chemical paint stripping and then it's time for some colour :D hopefully have the car back together in a couple of weeks. Also picked up a set of 4 spacers for the car, 10cm all round so will fill the arches nicely

Id be pissed if that was my car. They have not sealed anything up and the engine and filter are out exposed to all that dust.

Ontop of that filler around the qtr glass is a big no no when the glass is in, and the way they propped the bonnet and especially the bootlid :(

Ontop of that filler around the qtr glass is a big no no when the glass is in, and the way they propped the bonnet and especially the bootlid :(

All the glass is coming out and new rear 1/4 Windows/seals are going in anyway. They have a lot of other cars in, everything is sitting there so they know where it is, plus cause everything is going back to bare metal then it doesn't matter if it's marked

Edited by drift_bear (see edit history)

So I was back up at the body shop today for a little bit to go over the plan of action for the final stages of the car. Most the dent damage and that has been done and the car is pretty much stripped for paint prep, front bumper has indicator holes and etc filled and ready to go. So this week paint off and get it ready for primer, got the paint mix organised but just waiting for the delivery, had a look at the side skirts to see what process he was going to be using.

Realistically next week get all the holes welded (3rd brake light and rear washer jet), then it's bare metal and windows out. Week after Etch Primer, high build prime and block down and prime again. Week after paint everything and start fitting the new parts on the car :D

Should have some more pictures and updates in the next week through the stages.