The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jays VVTi Single Turbo Paddleshift build thread

j_jza80

Well, after a 3 year hiatus, I've put a deposit down a Supra this morning.

I've been wanting to get another for some time. Recently, I've been helping a friend buy a Supra for himself, and it made me realize that I really wanted another. I was going to wait until next year, and buy an SRD built single if one came onto the market, but this fresh import came up on Autotrader on Friday, and I just couldn't say no.

It's a 1997 Tiptronic VVTi TT. Looks totally stock except for the exhaust. Auction grade 4 too, so should be in pretty good shape.

Short term plans are BPU, and possibly going for LPG (She's a daily, plus I've got a long road trip in Europe next year, so that would save quite a bit). I'll also be looking to return it to stock body, and fitting some Suspension and some nice wheels (probably BBS LMs)

Will be going 6 speed single in the longer term, but that is quite a way off.

our_14331_ad35d663-72db-4b8f-bdcd-39765e48f905-590x443.jpg

our_14331_510d3188-be63-41fd-8555-85a258dac2ad.jpg

our_14331_ae7722f3-bc1a-46d4-8b7f-5541f410221b-1.jpg

our_14331_ddc846e9-e2a6-469d-b823-c0a9ce2be586.jpg

our_14331_4120d8f8-1a32-4fb3-a07b-1d1c6f879320-1.jpg

our_14331_0e540cff-42fd-4751-b34f-308eca80011c.jpg

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fantastic news, congratulations Jay, good hear you are coming back in the fold... as man of many car history this speaks volume!

Best colour too ;)

Thanks. :) They offer an unrivaled combination of looks, performance, reliability and cost.

As for the colour, this will be my fourth White one :D Best colour for them IMO.

Speaking of many car history, I must be approaching 40 now... :D

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Great choice, but I would say if you was looking to go single 6 then why not get a 6 speed?

Well, to start with I've paid FAR less for this than most VVTi tiptronics are being advertised for. Decent 6 speeds are fetching silly money at the moment, especially Facelift and VVTi models, so it does make some financial sense. I will end up paying more in the long run, but at least this way I will get exactly the car I want. No worrying about previous owners or tuners cutting corners.

More than that, I'm starting with a clean, fresh base, that hasn't seen any winters here. It's in my favourite colour, and won't take a lot to have looking just how I want it. I'm also guessing that a BPU tiptronic car is a lot of fun in its own right. :)

Arrh the torque GT one, I posted it on here when someone posted a wanted add.

Was a good price ESP if you got in early, which you have.

Great colour too :-)

Yeah, with every Tiptronic car I've seen recently advertised at £9500, it seemed ridiculously cheap. Would have preferred to have used Jurgen, but the price was too good to pass on, and Torque GT seem to have a good reputation. Can't fault them so far anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've just received the first part for this build, so I thought I'd get the build thread started. :)

One thing that stood out a mile in the initial pictures of the car was the big cover over the steering wheel. Now I'm the sort of person who expects the worst when I see things like that, so I have just assumed the stock wheel is in poor condition. See here:

our_14331_2abdb4b2-4009-4ea4-84a3-69ad9b142e11-1.jpg

While browsing for replacements, the idea of equipping the car with paddle shifters came into my head. Now, the buttons on the steering wheel would become redundant, so I was looking at regular Supra steering wheels, when I happened across this site: http://www.tunersgroup.com/Online_Store/supra_paddle_shifter.html

works bell.jpg

A paddle shifter kit specifically for the Supra!

The only thing is that they are not compatible with stock steering wheels. I don't like a lot of aftermarket wheels, I prefer subtle stock looking ones, especially for a project like this. But after a bit of eBaying, this wheel arrived today.

DSC_2201.jpg

As OEM looking as aftermarket wheels get I think. :) I will try and source a Toyota button for the horn, as there is still the nice, subtle MOMO imprint just below it.