Jays VVTi Single Turbo Paddleshift build thread

j_jza80

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is the main issue with this as far as I can see. The feel of the paddles is absolutely essential here. A nice, hefty metal one to pull feels really premium, plastic ones don't.

I totally agree. I don't even like the thought of Carbon ones TBH. I was watching a set of Ferrari 612 paddles on eBay, as you know they will feel very well weighted. They were over £200, plus spares would be very expensive if needed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FERRARI-612-PADDLE-SHIFT-FERRARI-PADDLE-SHIFT-FERRARI-F1-GEAR-CHANGE-/271592976869?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AFerrari&hash=item3f3c33f1e5

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

I totally agree. I don't even like the thought of Carbon ones TBH. I was watching a set of Ferrari 612 paddles on eBay, as you know they will feel very well weighted. They were over £200, plus spares would be very expensive if needed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FERRARI-612-PADDLE-SHIFT-FERRARI-PADDLE-SHIFT-FERRARI-F1-GEAR-CHANGE-/271592976869?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AFerrari&hash=item3f3c33f1e5

Indeed, they'll be good. Some Porsche ones are good too, ditto Audi. They may be more cost-effective!

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing much has changed, I'm still waiting. :D

Spoke to Torque GT this morning, the car is due in within the next few days. I have to pay the shipping agent directly (part of the reason it was so cheap), so this and the new DVLA road tax system will hold up collection a little. :( Really impressed with the service I'm getting from them, though I always recommend Jurgen.

On the plus side, the parts have started flooding in. :D

The first thing I ordered was a HKS SLD (Speed limit defencer) II from Nengun in Japan. For those of you that don't know, this unit removes the 112mph speed limit restriction. This model is specially for the tiptronic equipped cars, and it interfaces with the gearbox and trac system.

HKS SLD II.jpg

This needs to be wired into the ECU loom, and I will document that process when I do it. :)

Other items that have arrived include a brand new facelift bumper trim bar, courtesy of James, and an active spoiler, undertray and motor, courtesy of Kirky_123. Both top gents. :)

More to come... eventually :(

I took the plunge and asked Jurgen to BPU mine before I even pick it up, the modding starts again :D

I look forward to seeing your progress on this nice looking car

Cheers mate. :)

I think I'm just going to get it looking how I want to start with, and slowly add bits to take it to BPU. See how long it is until I want to go single... :D When do you get yours?

Cheers mate. :)

I think I'm just going to get it looking how I want to start with, and slowly add bits to take it to BPU. See how long it is until I want to go single... :D When do you get yours?

couple of weeks to go, have to change the seats as I detest the facelift pattern seats, also a nice set of wheels, not made up my mind on those yet, I did like the WED SA 70's on my old old single

Worth keeping an eye on this thread mate regarding the high speed kickdown issue on Tiptronic cars: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?155415-VVTi-Tiptronic-Speedm8-speedo-converter/page7

I'm going to look into having a special Lockwood dial face made rather than using a speedo converter, as it's possible they are causing issues.

Did yours come with UK brakes?

As per this thread: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?155415-VVTi-Tiptronic-Speedm8-speedo-converter/page7

I've been deliberating how to overcome the apparent 'high speed kickdown' issue that Tiptronic Supras can suffer from, and I think I've found a solution.

Instead of fitting a signal fudger to make the speedometer read in MPH, I have ordered a set of bespoke gauge faces from Metal Monkey.

Dial design.jpg

See here for the metalmonkey gauge faces: http://www.metal-monkey.co.uk/acatalog/Supra_MK4.html

In combination with the HKS SLD II, I should now be able to hit 130mph+ safely :)

• 2 weeks later...
Very nice! And it Looks so clean and original, might have missed it but are you changing the stock seats? If not please do! facelift seats are just awful, an oem set of recaros is the way forward

How long til you take delivery?

Will be swapping the rear seat for a stock vinyl one, and the front seats for some RenaultSport Megane Recaro Trendlines when I can find a set :) Just missed these on eBay.

MeganeRecaroTrendline.JPG

IMO these are a better design for a road car than the Speeds. I've had two sets of Speeds, and while very comfortable and supportive, the big bolsters are a bit of a pain and they wear quickly.

Looks like a lovely example mate. Are you sticking with the stock suspension or are you planning on lowering it?

Will be buying some suspension, but I'm undecided as to what. Would love some Nitrons but they cost a lot of money, will probably go for CW Bilsteins withcustom valving and custom rideheight. Once I find some wheels... :)

Will be swapping the rear seat for a stock vinyl one, and the front seats for some RenaultSport Megane Recaro Trendlines when I can find a set :) Just missed these on eBay.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]192198[/ATTACH]

IMO these are a better design for a road car than the Speeds. I've had two sets of them, and while very comfortable and supportive, the big bolsters are a bit of a pain and they wear quickly.

Will be buying some suspension, but I'm undecided as to what. Would love some Nitrons but they cost a lot of money, will probably go for CW Bilsteins withcustom valving and custom rideheight. Once I find some wheels... :)

Lovely choice of seats, have you considered the new hks setup Lee stocks? Seems reasonably priced compared to the Nitrons.

Lovely choice of seats, have you considered the new hks setup Lee stocks? Seems reasonably priced compared to the Nitrons.

Yeah, especially with the offer he's doing on them. My issue is that I don't think anyone in the UK services HKS suspension, so a minor leak could end up with the car off the road for weeks, or potentially scrapping a £1000+ set of shocks+springs.

I've also heard great things about this company, and they're UK based: http://www.quantumracing.co.uk/

• 2 weeks later...

Just waiting on the DVLA now, so it shouldn't take any more than a week until it's ready to go. :) My metal monkey dials arrived, and were immediately posted down to Torque GT to fit for me.

In other news, I've been spending money like it's been going out of fashion! :D I've managed to secure a full set of side pods, hockey sticks and sill trims, so that I can return the car to stock body. I also got a shiny new Whifbitz SMIC, courtesy of MattP. Thanks Matt. :)

DSC_0195.JPG

While I am still going to go ahead with the paddle shift conversion, I've decided to go down a different route to the WorksBell kit. More on that later. :)