The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jays VVTi Single Turbo Paddleshift build thread

j_jza80

In a word, no. :D

The design of my Recaros isn't compatible with Johns rails *if* I want to fit sliding rails, which I do. I've left a deposit on a set of Recaro rails from a car that's being broken, and I should get them in a month. For now, I won't be doing a great deal on the car as I have nowhere indoors to work on it, and it's pretty cold outside :) It's a shame I couldn't have got the seats in, as the heaters would have been perfect in this weather :)

I've dropped my stock sidepods off to get sprayed in white, so hopefully I can get the OEM skirts and spats off as soon as the weather turns a bit nicer. I've also dropped of my HKS hardpipe kit for the SMIC to be powdercoated in silver. :) So at some point (probably Easter bank holiday), my front bumper is going to have to come off, so I can:

- Fit active spoiler, wiring & controller

- Fit facelift bumper bar

- fit SMIC

- fit smic hardpipe kit

I really need to sort out my wheels and brakes too, but what started out as a bargain impulse buy is quickly turning into an expensive project :D

I started on the brakes the other day J its slow work...

Feels good when the you know the Job is done right though.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Picked my HKS SMIC hardpipes up from the Ian Jemison engineering today, and I'm very pleased with the results. I've used them for alloy wheel work before, but they shot blasted and powdercoated the lot for just under £50 inc vat, which I thought was pretty good. :)

DSC_0606.JPG

DSC_0608.JPG

DSC_0609.JPG

I wish I had taken some pictures before, because they were pitted and corroded. Although some of the pitting is visible under the powdercoat, it is a vast improvement, and should keep them in good condition for years. :) Should I key the joining/bevel lightly with wet&dry where they make contact with the silicone couplers?

Now to order some silicone hoses & fittings. After considering all the options, I think I'm going to go for the Samco Classic range hoses. I don't like the shiny look of most hoses, and the Samco Classics look very OEM. :cool:

Any advice or opinions would be welcomed. I will eventually replace all of the coolant & vac hoses to match, so I want it to be right. :) I will be using Murray constant tension clamps instead of jubilee clips.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Few little bits done this evening. :)

Managed to fit my APR cooling plate. I had to replace the stock coolant overflow tank with one from a Honda Civic. It looked like it would be a good fit, and it is. I even managed to use the bracket from the civic, though it took a little modifying. :)

DSC_0620.JPG

And I also fitted a leather gaiter to the gear selector. As it has a gear display on the dash, I didn't think I needed to see the one around the selector. :)

DSC_0619.JPG

There's still a few jobs to do on the interior, but I'm happy with how it's coming along. There will be a weekend coming up at some point in the not too distant future, where A LOT of things are going to get done in one go:

- Fit new brakes (when I've decided what to buy! :D )

- Fit Bilstein/Eibach suspension

- Remove OEM Skirts and Spats and fit freshly painted sidepods, and the hockeysticks.

- Remove wheelarch liners, and waxoyl the back of the wings, and any other crevices that might have been missed.

- Remove front bumper for paint

-fit facelift bumper bar

- fit active spoiler

- fit boost controller

- fit HKS hardpipe kit

- fit Whifbitz SMIC

- Fit Recaro seats

- wire in seat heaters

- wire in FCD

- wire in SLD

- modify my 200sx DIN cubby hole to accept the display from the boost controller

- install wiring for audio amplifiers. Just future proofing here.

If anyone would like to volunteer to be my sidekick for a weekend, it would be much appreciated. :D

Blimey mate if lived closer I would have come to your aid having done 75% of those jobs myself

There's still a few jobs to do on the interior, but I'm happy with how it's coming along. There will be a weekend coming up at some point in the not too distant future, where A LOT of things are going to get done in one go:

- Remove OEM Skirts and Spats and fit freshly painted sidepods, and the hockeysticks.

- Remove wheelarch liners, and waxoyl the back of the wings, and any other crevices that might have been missed.

-fit facelift bumper bar

- fit active spoiler

- fit boost controller

- fit HKS hardpipe kit

- fit Whifbitz SMIC

- Fit Recaro seats

- wire in seat heaters

- wire in FCD

- wire in SLD

- modify my 200sx DIN cubby hole to accept the display from the boost controller

If anyone would like to volunteer to be my sidekick for a weekend, it would be much appreciated. :D

So, today's little task was fixing the common boot release issue.

The rear boot plastic needs removing, which is held on by 6 screws. The top most 4 are under plastic caps which are clearly visible.

This is what's under the panel:

DSC_0645.jpg

I suspect the issue is caused by the metal arm bending where the two cables attach to it. So I've bent it away from the cables, and secured them with cable ties. Job done.

However, I suspect the arm will eventually bend back agai, and probably more quickly this time.

Short of getting someone to manufacture replacement arms in steel, there probably isn't a permanent fix.

So, today's little task was fixing the common boot release issue.

The rear boot plastic needs removing, which is held on by 6 screws. The top most 4 are under plastic caps which are clearly visible.

This is what's under the panel:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]196708[/ATTACH]

I suspect the issue is caused by the metal arm bending where the two cables attach to it. So I've bent it away from the cables, and secured them with cable ties. Job done.

However, I suspect the arm will eventually bend back agai, and probably more quickly this time.

Short of getting someone to manufacture replacement arms in steel, there probably isn't a permanent fix.

Good to know, thats my next job, thanks J :)

Few little bits done this evening. :)

Managed to fit my APR cooling plate. I had to replace the stock coolant overflow tank with one from a Honda Civic. It looked like it would be a good fit, and it is. I even managed to use the bracket from the civic, though it took a little modifying. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]196550[/ATTACH]

And I also fitted a leather gaiter to the gear selector. As it has a gear display on the dash, I didn't think I needed to see the one around the selector. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]196551[/ATTACH]

-fit facelift bumper bar

- fit active spoiler

- fit boost controller

- fit HKS hardpipe kit

- fit Whifbitz SMIC

- Fit Recaro seats

- wire in seat heaters

- wire in FCD

- wire in SLD

If i was closer id help out. its always nice to get away from the misses sometimes :p

• 2 weeks later...

I wrecked my hands the other day clay baring the car, which has made an amazing difference. The paint was badly contaminated it seems. It will look like glass after a machine polish, so I'm going to refrain from posting any pics of the car now until that's done, and the OEM skirts and spats are removed. :)

It's hard to see, but you can just see the contamination below the bonnet shutline

DSC_0050.jpg

Otherwise, I've just been hoarding more parts. Shane has sent me a spare fuel pump hangar, so that I can mount my Bosch 044 pump to it and modify the top to accept larger gauge cable. It needs a good clean first!

DSC_0052.jpg

(note the difference between the stock and Bosch fuel pumps! This is why new wiring is needed :) )

Also, Dude has sent me a VVTi plenum and throttle body, so I can get it powdercoated.

I've also managed to find a set of LS400 calipers, so that will take care of the brakes for now. They need a full refurb, which I will ofcourse document :) as the car will be purely a road car, I'm hoping it will be a decent, cost effective upgrade over the Jspec brakes.

ls400brakes.JPG

I also have a black zunsport grill set, which I'm hoping I can fit with my facelift bumper bar :) I ordered a badge-less one to keep it subtle :cool:

DSC_0053.jpg

• 4 weeks later...