Jays VVTi Single Turbo Paddleshift build thread

j_jza80

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Again a great guide Jay! Loving the modification though PLEASE don't spray it black, it looks nice and subtle but enough to make it stand out slightly. You could compliment it with other bits of colour in the cabin like heater controls etc.

Not driven an SLS yet but having driven many AMG's, I can understand you mean about the click on the paddle shifts. ;)

I've bought quite a few parts for the car recently, some are here and some are still to arrive (*cough* Supraleeturbo *cough* :D ), so I'm pretty much ready for BPU now:

- Whifbitz SMIC

- Whifbitz 1 bar Restrictor Ring

- Whifbitz 1st and 2nd 3" Decats

- HKS Fuel Cut Defender

- K&N Panel Filter

- NGK Plugs

- Bosch pump

- HKS Speed Limit Defender (not essential for BPU)

- HKS hardpipes for SMIC (Not essential for BPU)

- Car came with a 3.5" Blitz catback exhaust

So all I really need now is a Boost gauge, though if a well priced Boost Controller came up I would just go for that instead... :D

Otherwise, this evening I started tackling one of those niggling jobs. The boot release.

This worked perfectly when I collected the car, but very quickly started sticking until the point it didn't work at all. The only way I could get into the boot was to lever the boot release handle by the drivers seat up with the drivers key (which is conveniently the right length! :D )

So, after stripping the rear boot trim off (4 round plastic cover caps that prize off, followed by 4x philips head PH2 trim screws), this is what I was presented with...

boot release.JPG

It appears that the release cables have stretched with age, which means that they do not pull the release lever far enough across. I have bodged it together so that it works for now, but in the near future I will picture my fix. This seems to be a common issue with facelift cars.

The other issue was that the key was not turning in the boot lock. While I had the boot trim out, I removed the lock barrel from the car (2x 10mm nuts). I found that one of the lock pin springs must be a bit lazy, and takes an age to push the pin when the key is inserted. So it does work, I just have to count to 10 after inserting the key before I turn it :D I'll get a used lock and rob a spring from it. This is fiddly, intricate work though. :(

Hopefully, I'll be fitting my Recaros this weekend. :cool:

In preparation for that, I bought a Waeco MSH60 heated seat kit from Capital Seating:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261313016318?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Got the first one fitted to the drivers seat.

DSC_0271.JPG

DSC_0272.JPG

If there's any interest, I can do a 'How to', though it's a pretty straightforward job - just very time consuming! I'm wiring it up to work with the stock heated seat switch. :)

Guest Nicholas

Some great work so far Jay well done, I especially like how you're doing many things I've never seen done before on here. Enjoying the updates, keep them coming :thumbs:

Some great work so far Jay well done, I especially like how you're doing many things I've never seen done before on here. Enjoying the updates, keep them coming :thumbs:

Thanks :) I think it's the little touches that make a great car. :) As I intend to keep this one for a very long time (indefinitely?), it's worth doing things like this while I'm sorting the interior.

Nice work mate, loving the paddle shifts. The only problem you may have with those heated seat elements is they're fairly bulky so you might have an edge visible, the carbon ones are a bit thinner and can be cut to size.

Yeah, i Know :) But I was advised a while ago by an auto electrician to avoid the carbon ones as they degrade faster than the wire type. Plus, the contours of the seat seems to hide the bulk.

Finished with the first seat, and thankfully the covers go back over perfectly. :)

DSC_0276.JPG

DSC_0275.JPG

I should get the other seat done tomorrow, so I'll post up some pics. :)

In other news, my Greddy Profec Boost controller arrived.

Greedy20Profec20flyer.jpg

It's a little flashy for my tastes, but it was very well priced (£240 on eBay), has a clear and bright display, and is apparently a very capable boost controller.

Finished with the first seat, and thankfully the covers go back over perfectly. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]194729[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]194730[/ATTACH]

I should get the other seat done tomorrow, so I'll post up some pics. :)

In other news, my Greddy Profec Boost controller arrived.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]194731[/ATTACH]

It's a little flashy for my tastes, but it was very well priced (£240 on eBay), has a clear and bright display, and is apparently a very capable boost controller.

ill be buying that same BC soon, Sean on here has one, its tiny :) I want to discreetly fit mine into the sunvisor area..

Hi Jay,

Following with interest mate. I also got my Tip from Torque a few years ago, She is off the road at the moment as I go BPU and do all those jobs that rack up over the years (new steering rack, Valve stem seals, BPU, replacement dials etc.:blink:). I was attempting to fit paddle shifts but using a stationary set up (Doesn't turn with the wheel) however I like your idea much better so will probably copy if that's OK :D

So, after stripping the rear boot trim off (4 round plastic cover caps that prize off, followed by 4x philips head PH2 trim screws), this is what I was presented with...

Click image for larger version.

Name: boot release.JPG

Views: 30

Size: 130.0 KB

ID: 194508

It appears that the release cables have stretched with age, which means that they do not pull the release lever far enough across. I have bodged it together so that it works for now, but in the near future I will picture my fix. This seems to be a common issue with facelift cars.

Yep its a facelift issue. Mine went soon after I bought the car and I changed the lock mechanism with a pre facelift mechanism and did the boot rubbers at the same time. Boot opens every time now from inside the car.

I found Torque really good to deal with and Jake bought my old car (Although she is much better now than when I traded her in:d) from them.

Hi Jon :wave:

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you! :D Feel free to do the same, that's why I put the how to on here. You'll be pleased with the difference! If you have any questions about the conversion, give me a shout. :) If the AMG paddles don't quite suit you, there are a few other similar types on the market that I looked at too.

The boot is one of those niggling issues with facelifts :D Hopefully going to get my Recaros in this weekend, wire up the seat heaters, and fit my boost controller. I'll try and get around to sorting the boot too, but I have plenty to be on with! :D

• 1 month later...
Any updates on this Jay? did you ever get round to fitting the recaro's if so post some pictures up.

In a word, no. :D

The design of my Recaros isn't compatible with Johns rails *if* I want to fit sliding rails, which I do. I've left a deposit on a set of Recaro rails from a car that's being broken, and I should get them in a month. For now, I won't be doing a great deal on the car as I have nowhere indoors to work on it, and it's pretty cold outside :) It's a shame I couldn't have got the seats in, as the heaters would have been perfect in this weather :)

I've dropped my stock sidepods off to get sprayed in white, so hopefully I can get the OEM skirts and spats off as soon as the weather turns a bit nicer. I've also dropped of my HKS hardpipe kit for the SMIC to be powdercoated in silver. :) So at some point (probably Easter bank holiday), my front bumper is going to have to come off, so I can:

- Fit active spoiler, wiring & controller

- Fit facelift bumper bar

- fit SMIC

- fit smic hardpipe kit

I really need to sort out my wheels and brakes too, but what started out as a bargain impulse buy is quickly turning into an expensive project :D