The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dragonball to Oem

wile e coyote

So as some know the Dragonball car as it became known as is going back to oem.

had the car for around 18 years and been really reliable doing plenty of dragonballs  ( well all but 1) but I had always said it will get a full respray and back to oem at some time.

anyway time has come and I’m able to financially afford to spend the money on her

plan is full oem with some suttle  improvements 

james and Kane at retro roadsports will be doing the majority of the work with lee at srd doing drive train refresh rebuild

yesturday I dropped the car to James with a load of oem stuff that I had kept and collected over the years.

and chatted about the build bouncing ideas around

there will be items for sale as they are removed and will be advertised in the for sale thread

I’m excited and apprehensive at the same time

james will be bombarding me with pictures

CC34B446-8FCB-4E0A-8520-9EB6737F4AC9.jpeg

0CC2FDB9-30AF-4ED7-9AC2-0E9EE17F1273.jpeg

Edited by wile e coyote (see edit history)
  • Like 5

So bit of progress stripping car down to find 25 years of driving

my poor car looking sorry for herself, genuine duluck spats removed which I’ll sell with the defuser

james thinks the side skirts will not come off in one piece so they will be scrap but the genuine stillen front bumper will go up for sale, 

5391449E-A65B-4F3F-8D10-7E0539B657DE.jpeg

79262FFE-A4AC-4025-BD5D-0E7741882A16.jpeg

E662BBC1-B765-48D1-8398-E21D9AA80BB2.jpeg

24A94290-1346-460E-A776-84E9BCB313A8.jpeg

D5FFD756-6203-4B15-ACF0-81531E929332.jpeg

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Noz said:

I wonder whats caused that rear bar to corrode so much. Maybe the diffuser causing some sort of air deflection with water going into the area. Very odd

Probably just steel without much treatment. 

I noticed mine was looking a bit tatty when I was under the car last. 

When the rear bumper comes off to be tidied up, I'll more than likely replace it. 

12 hours ago, Big Supes said:

Probably just steel without much treatment. 

I noticed mine was looking a bit tatty when I was under the car last. 

When the rear bumper comes off to be tidied up, I'll more than likely replace it. 

Maybe, but that's not corroded that's actually begun to crumble. I've never seen any look mint, they all have surface corrosion but never seen one surpass the total material thickness.

I know Keron had a load made, not sure if he still has any or sells them.

Looks like it was the front end. Not sure if bolt hole pattern is the same front/rear. I know the rear has a slight kink in it so would need a little bit of tinkering. Link on Kerons page is to his last page.

https://www.mkivsupra.net/topic/108850-extreme-performance/page/20/

If only the forum has multiple pages, sellers could use the forum as the selling platform. How cool would that be. Product listings on the forum, be so cool. Especially if they took a cut.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

i have the rears in stock too if needed.... common to rust out from the heat of the exhaust etc. but thats the worst ive seen to be fair....

20 minutes ago, Noz said:

Maybe, but that's not corroded that's actually begun to crumble. I've never seen any look mint, they all have surface corrosion but never seen one surpass the total material thickness.

Looks like it was the front end. Not sure if bolt hole pattern is the same front/rear. I know the rear has a slight kink in it so would need a little bit of tinkering. Link on Kerons page is to his last page.

If only the forum has multiple pages, sellers could use the forum as the selling platform. How cool would that be. Product listings on the forum, be so cool. Especially if they took a cut.

6 hours ago, keron said:

i have the rears in stock too if needed.... common to rust out from the heat of the exhaust etc. but thats the worst ive seen to be fair....

Grear news!! Darren is sorted then. 💪 know where to come when mines dead too.

7 hours ago, Noz said:

I think people forget the age of these cars. Having one completely gone on one side isn't an eyeopener for me, personally. Cheap steel and Toyota probably wanted to keep them as light as possible.  

I'll let you know I get one with mine as I didn't look great through the gap of the bumper, looking up underneath. 😅

Someone rear ended me earlier this month (luckily at low speeds, it was a blessing in disguise as mine was also on it's way out too, albeit not quite like yours Darren!) I bet most cars' ones are in need of a replacement.
IMG_1163.thumb.JPG.216c200b2f3b1c392fe6bb30746e64b9.JPGIMG_1167.thumb.JPG.e7349abc000921cc4a22511624ce1427.JPG

Funnily enough I just picked a new rear bar/polystyrene insert up from Keron a few hours ago! I'm not sure if mileage/age makes much of a difference but that's after 142k miles and 26 years (18 in the UK) of being daily driven for presumably its whole life really.

Good thing you've decided to get her in for the work, god knows what a couple more years' would've done! 😲 

10 hours ago, m12aak said:

Someone rear ended me earlier this month (luckily at low speeds, it was a blessing in disguise as mine was also on it's way out too, albeit not quite like yours Darren!) I bet most cars' ones are in need of a replacement.
IMG_1163.thumb.JPG.216c200b2f3b1c392fe6bb30746e64b9.JPG

Poor Supra even looks sad lol. Reminds me of Johnny 5 when he's upset. 😂  

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

So little update

we have been chatting and getting information on how to deal with the shell

so options were to manually remove sound deadening under seal and media  blast or dip the shell and e coat it

the costs are very similar due to lots of labour costs in the blasting way

also you can’t get all the media out and we can’t get into the box sections

dipping will get everywhere and removes everything and rust

there was a few issues about 12 years ago with acid leaching out of joints due to not being thoughally rinsed but this seems to have been addressed now

so we have decided to dip it and e coat it

first it’s going to have 2x new rear quarter panels due to the arches being rolled and flared and also this will sort the rust that was found behind the spats

The ally bonnet has its own treatment

only a couple pics from just recent as was deciding the process but as the dip is all booked for 11 April then all systems are go

the rad support will be replaced with new as I don’t think much will come back lol

22DBBC2B-9D21-4DD9-9ACC-3D783F9D08E1.jpeg

A57F270A-15C2-4C13-82F7-FBD752D9F958.jpeg

• Like 2