The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supra - Progress so far, next steps and build thread

Peter P

Cheers guys, itโ€™s coming along nicely now. :)

Noz, why are you surprised about me blending the skirts? Iโ€™ve seen so many that arenโ€™t blended and the stuck on look wasnโ€™t for me mate, itโ€™s a choice thing, but think they look better blended personally.ย 
ย 

Dropped the rear brace and air con delete bracket down to my good friends at Inspraytion this morning, looking forward to seeing more parts finished up in the dark copper, hopefully not too much longer till the car is back and I can start getting things fitted! :cool:ย 

21 hours ago, Peter P said:

Noz, why are you surprised about me blending the skirts? Iโ€™ve seen so many that arenโ€™t blended and the stuck on look wasnโ€™t for me mate, itโ€™s a choice thing, but think they look better blended personally.ย 

Because they will more than likely end up cracking and looking a mess, seen in many times over the years. It's because the plastic and metal expand and contract at different rates under different conditions. Combine that with the flex in the body of the car as well and you'll be looking at redoing the paintwork again.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Peter P said:

ย 

Dropped the rear brace and air con delete bracket down to my good friends at Inspraytion this morning, looking forward to seeing more parts finished up in the dark copper, hopefully not too much longer till the car is back and I can start getting things fitted! :cool:ย 

I mean they definitely look more slick smoothed. I just suppose I always rear the worst of it being damaged.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burna said:

Because they will more than likely end up cracking and looking a mess, seen in many times over the years. It's because the plastic and metal expand and contract at different rates under different conditions. Combine that with the flex in the body of the car as well and you'll be looking at redoing the paintwork again.

I did consider this, Matt assured me the filler used to bond the skirts is a specific type that has enough flex to prevent cracking. The fact the car has been given plenty of time to settle properly before seeing any paint also helps. A lot of cars suffer cracking due to not having enough time to settle/go off properly before being painted.

44 minutes ago, Noz said:

I mean they definitely look more slick smoothed. I just suppose I always rear the worst of it being damaged.

Agreed, itโ€™s a risk, but one I am willing to take having discussed it at length with Matt and having some comfort that the filler used is one specifically made to give enough flex to avoid cracking under normal use. Obviously if I hit something all bets are off, but that would still apply even if it wasnโ€™t smoothed/blended in.

53 minutes ago, Ric said:

Looking good dude.ย 

Let us know how you get on with the carbon scuttle panel. I was wanting one for mine but was worried that no vents in it would strangle the climate fan as his is where it sucks from.

Thanks Ric.

Iโ€™ll let you know how I get on mate, hoping it wonโ€™t be an issue, but may have to resort to getting the Dremmel out if itโ€™s an issue. Iโ€™ll post up here how I get on with it. ๐Ÿ‘ย 

As long as the paints okay to blend in. Mines a right balls ache mate! I'm re-doing whole side of my car as I think there's a difference in final colour due to days painted.

Always liked how the rear looks blended too. Dark colours look okay, but most lighter cars do make the panel lines look a bit naff.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Noz said:

As long as the paints okay to blend in. Mines a right balls ache mate! I'm re-doing whole side of my car as I think there's a difference in final colour due to days painted.

Always liked how the rear looks blended too. Dark colours look okay, but most lighter cars do make the panel lines look a bit naff.

I hear you buddy, mine was similar in that I had a dodgy spot on the drivers side rear quarter, when Matt stripped back the paint we found the awful repair that led to me getting a whole new rear quarter from Paul at Whifbitz.ย 
ย 

Colour is going to be dark metallic grey, so should suit the blended finish nicely. :)ย 

3 hours ago, T2 MSW said:

Do I have to keep quietย ๐Ÿ˜‡

Love the colour of that brace, going to look epic that

Yes! Inย fairness saying it isnโ€™t much to go off, when they arrive and I can get them on the car and take photos, thatโ€™s when itโ€™ll be exciting! :)ย 
ย 

Love this colour, this with the carbon and grey theme should look stunning. :cool:

3 hours ago, Noz said:

Lol oh great. May love the wheels but hate you for doing it lol

I think thatโ€™s probably an accurate conclusion mate, hopefully wonโ€™t have to wait too much longer. ๐Ÿคž

So as promised, the bonnet has been painted today! Here are some photos Matt sent me, think it looks stunning! So pleased with colour and canโ€™t wait to see it all done. Notice the attention to detail around the carbon sections, Matt did such a great job masking it off and the finish looks amazing! Happy isnโ€™t the word! :)ย 

9B08B0C4-46DA-4890-A8F5-80A2203C43E4.jpeg

9DE8AEBE-7EC8-4AD5-9925-84C0AD37AF01.jpeg

7E049542-0052-4C9F-93E8-B282BFABC02C.jpeg

2ECD174D-00B7-4DCD-850B-CA59208E73AF.jpeg

7FAA68D3-F705-4095-8659-715DC0AB9727.jpeg

440E0AC0-A3E5-4531-9A0F-AC3E2F6ABC05.jpeg

D1CD7894-70B9-4B76-88E4-05AF86F39379.jpeg

• Like 1