The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supra - Progress so far, next steps and build thread

Peter P

Morning Folks,

So, decided it was time to start putting together a thread for my Supra which I got from Mike Ward on here back in September 2019 or thereabouts. For those who don’t know me, I have been around Supra’s for over 20yrs having signed up initially when I was a youngster in the 90’s. I’ve owned 5 of these amazing cars myself over the years and been involved with some special examples including the Whifbitz Time Attack cars which I supported over a decade ago (can’t believe it’ been that long - time flies!).

So the latest car is a 202 Black Tiptronic VVT-I twin turbo which Mike used as a track car. This meant some nice goodies were fitted when I got the car including K-Sport front brake kit, FMIC kit, coilovers and TRD anti roll bars which needed to be fitted but were included in the deal. First drive home was an experience having been in my Lexus IS-F for a good few years where you sit a lot higher! Lol. Car drove well, but did notice a lot of juddering at idle when stationary at traffic lights for example. The speedo was in KMH so had to gauge my speed using other cars as a guide (last thing I wanted was a speeding ticket on day one!).

I have included a few photos Mike sent me of how the car sat when he had it as a starting point, the bodywork looked pretty good in the photos, but there was some damage and the rear arches were rolled, but not very well so they would need attention at some stage. Another first for me was the car had no seats as the ones Mike was using weren’t his so he managed to source a set of ropey Recaro’s with good subframes for me to get the car home. I then set about choosing some new seats. Whilst I love the Recaro CS style seats (wife has them in her Nismo Juke RS), the price was too high for my budget at the time. I have always loved the Recaro Speed’s, and the fact they were an option from factory helped me decide to go for a set. Unfortunately the first set I ordered in black leather never showed up, when I made enquiries they told me the order shouldn’t have been placed as the seats were dis-continued and they couldn’t source the ones I wanted. Tried to offer me some alternatives in different materials and colours, but I wasn’t interested and asked for a refund. Turns out Recaro have indeed stopped producing the Speed and I was told that I would only be able to get whatever any vendor had left in stock. After lots of calls and emails, I managed to find what may well be the last pair that was available in the Country. Had to pay a little more for them, but think I made the right decision as they look spot on. :cool:

First stop was to see Lee P and the team over at SRD Tuning in West Sussex. I’ve known Lee for a while now and he was responsible for the supercharger conversion on my ISF along with the other work I asked him to do, so knew he would be the right person to help me with my new Supra. I asked Lee to fit the anti roll bars Mike had included in the swap we did and to source/fit a matching set of K-Sport rear brakes to ensure we had plenty of stopping power for future developments. Lee was also asked to give the car a good once over to see what we had as a baseline to work with. Let’s just say the list was longer than I had expected, but nothing critical thankfully. The engine was also compression tested and was given a clean bill of health which was a relief. :)

The wheels were well past their best having been subjected to lots of brake dust from all the track work they had seen, so I took advantage of a Black Friday deal at Insprayation who are local and had them refurbished in a dark copper metallic which I really like against the black paintwork.

I also decided to bite the bullet and send Stu Hagen in the States my cluster and heater controls to re-work with TRD faces and new brighter LED’s. Thankfully a friend/work colleague was kind enough to collect these from me in London and take them back across the pond in his luggage. He then arranged the shipping and payments to Stu after I handed over a wad of dollars to him via PayPal. Plan was to have another friend bring them back to avoid any damage in transit, but Covid-19 hit and that ruined any chance of that happening anytime soon. Luckily Stu was kind enough to package them up really well and ship them back to me. Few photos below to show the difference which I think you will agree is pretty huge! ;)

I’d also decided to start looking at parts and stumbled across an ad for the facelift LED front indicators Harry Moore offers. I snapped up a smoked set from him whilst I was in Greece for my nephew’s Wedding and also asked him about re-working my facelift rear lights. I wanted to go with the halo style rings along with carbon style skins to the insides which Harry was happy to do for me. I managed to post out my lights to him before Covid-19 hit thankfully, but Harry was unfortunately taken ill with Covid-19 and this understandably delayed my lights coming back to me whilst he was recovering. Pleased to say Harry has made a full recovery and the lights are now back and looking stunning, but were only installed very briefly to get the car road legal and over to MH Bodywork in Rochester to start the next stage of my build. The lights are now safely back in the box in my garage and will stay dust free until the car is ready for me to collect from Matt.

I decided to start buying some parts from Paul at Whifbitz including a full Ridox style half carbon body kit (for me the only kit I would consider having on my car) consisting of front bumper, side skirts and rear spats. I also ordered one of his Top Secret style vented carbon bonnets, a half carbon TRD style rear wing, carbon VVTI cam cover, carbon fuse box lid, carbon relay lid, titanium radiator top pipe and a twin-box 4” exhaust system.

The parts arrived and I was gutted to find some bits were missing and the Ridox bumper had been damaged by the courier. :taped:

Thankfully Paul sent me out another one which arrived in one piece. I also noticed when the car was in the air to install the new exhaust that the fuel tank cover was looking quite rusty, so decided to go with one of Paul’s carbon replacements. Unfortunately the fuel tank retaining straps were also badly corroded so I’ve ordered replacements which will help when it comes to installing the new cover.

The interior was looking a little odd with a single din stereo so I grabbed a new double din Sony with Apple Car Play and a reverse camera as well. The first one I fitted was quite bulky and ugly to look at. Thanks to the forum I found a much more subtle version. When I removed the rear bumper I noticed both end brackets were shot so ordered new ones from Paul along with some other fixings I needed.

The front seatbelts were also acting up and not retracting properly so I managed to find some replacements which as you can see brighten up the cabin quite nicely in my opinion. :)

I’m going to replace the facelift Aztec patterned rear seat with a black leather version at some point as that will work a lot better with the new front seats.

The car is currently with MH Bodywork who have started to complete my fairy lengthy to-do list:

- Adjust carbon vented bonnet to fit correctly, add aerocatches and paint in body colour leaving only the 4 vents in carbon. Remove OEM front bumper, side skirts and fit Ridox kit. Paint top sections in body colour. Fix/cut away badly rolled rear arches and re-work with new lips, straighten and repair rusted sills, remove re-paint rear bumper, remove both windscreens and re-fit with correct seals (both were non-OEM and poorly fitted), re-paint bootlid and delete rear wiper, washer jet, rear aerial (Apple Play means I can use App for radio if needed). Paint sides of TRD style rear spoiler leaving blade and end caps in carbon. The side skirts and rear spats will be getting properly blended in to the wings and rear quarters so both sides will be painted as well. Only things not getting painted at this stage are the roof, doors inner sills and engine bay (maybe next time! Lol).

I will be popping over to collect the intercoolers pipework and the Cusco strut brace I also got from Whifbitz and dropping them back to Insprayation who are going to powder coat them in the same dark copper metallic used on the wheels. They are also mixing up some paint for Matt at MH Bodywork to do the intercooler core, rear boot badge and some interior bits in the same colour. Should look lovely when it’s all done and dusted. :cool:

Once the car is back from bodywork it will be headed back to SRD for the next stage with them which includes: new radiator, install boost controller, 1st de-cat pipe, restrictor ring, FCD, colder grade plugs, and fuel pump etc to run BPU. Also adding a transmission cooler. I also bought a set of early style TRD engine mounts along with the Whifbitz conversion parts needed so that should get rid of the awful juddering at idle which is common apparently on facelift cars.

Next up will be a full SYVECS S7+ setup and some fuelling upgrades to allow me to swap the tiptronic out for a paddle shift setup. Already got the new steering wheel sitting patiently in the garage for inspiration! ;) Also looking to change the coilovers for HKS Max4’s which Lee will setup and dial in for me.

After that and when money allows I have plans to build the engine, uprate the gearbox, install a single conversion with all supporting mods to comfortably make 800hp.

Will update as things change and get completed but think this is a good starting point. :)

Cheers all.

Pete :)

B5F3BD85-E658-410C-97EB-21E13D21838C.jpeg

EE3E4B99-917C-4CA1-8CD2-E2ABBBE765B3.jpeg

52024EB8-9A13-4057-8DCB-323BD3FB8BAA.jpeg

3302996D-A76B-473C-AD5C-7DAB140CED5B.jpeg

CF440F5C-B9CA-4967-9360-957ADB26FEAC.jpeg

Edited by Peter P (see edit history)
  • Like 1

More progress photos. :)

Rear K-Sport’s installed by SRD to match the fronts.

When I had the wheels refurbished by Inspraytion they were also offering a special on valeting by a firm called Junior Wax Doctor. He loved the car so much that he wouldn’t let it go until it had a polish as well at no extra charge. Car came out looking amazing and I’ve promised to take it back to him when the bodywork is finished for a proper stage 1 polish and a ceramic coating as well. :)

61A65562-0D6C-4953-9EA3-8E16CE2B14DE.jpeg

33017143-306E-472A-97CD-82545C3D5E3D.jpeg

469F6CDA-2DCD-494F-8901-A2453DF85C86.jpeg

1A9FCA0E-C7D8-4FBA-A6AC-44E29B62231F.jpeg

2A92848D-7E43-4FB9-97C9-BA1AC8685AB7.jpeg

• Like 1

More interior photos.

The car came with a 4-1 gauge in the vent hole but didn’t have the clock, just a nasty hole. Managed to pick up a matching Prosport clock which fills the gap and looks nice when it’s dark with the new dials and heater controls all lit up. :cool:

I also swapped out the stock shift knob for a nice black 8-ball style job which I personally love. :)

036187A8-B1AC-4DF0-BE2B-FA313A893D32.jpeg

4A86E25D-88DD-400B-A11A-FBB082D9665E.jpeg

A10E3F83-49EE-4C0A-9B31-806D732ADF82.jpeg

C2C8186E-672D-44F2-9035-EE5E03D60831.jpeg

• Like 1

More photos, new exhaust. Should add the second de-cat pipe on the car was poorly made and didn’t allow the system to line up properly. Fortunately Paul was able to send me one of his matching pipes which arrived the next day and fitted perfectly. Also replaced the exhaust hangers to keep it all nice and firm. :)

Also a photo of the kit as it sat in my garage waiting to go to the bodyshop and the passenger seat that I took out along with the drivers seat so I could swap out the seatbelts and clean the carpet. :)

7653A51C-19F2-4E18-A3AA-8F38BFDE0BF8.jpeg

183B344E-8E77-44FC-8021-C0026B05A4DA.jpeg

7C0B66C5-A45D-48D3-9AF6-BB3D6F8EA5C5.jpeg

6741AA25-84C5-49C0-BCB8-1E9AE0B451AF.jpeg

Few photos after a recent clean. Also made good use of our carpet cleaner which has worked wonders on the black carpets. :)

Note the new red seatbelts which add a nice touch of colour in the otherwise dark interior.

Car looked odd without any rear lights, but was well worth the wait as Harry worked his magic and they now look amazing! Can’t wait to re-install them along with the smoked front indicators.

Also talking to Harry about re-working my headlights with a set of the Abflung style carbon inserts. Quite like the idea of re-painting the headlight rings in the dark copper as well, think it would look lovely and tie in well with the colour scheme I am going for. :)

A5A5632E-97AF-446F-8262-7C9ABF72D8AA.jpeg

384F3E69-CB7A-424B-89C7-19CDCB201786.jpeg

2BAC84E1-DF01-4FEF-A422-54EE5BECD8E2.jpeg

9FF79B39-7C85-4AAF-A081-F233B4554526.jpeg

05B0DD34-6585-4251-83E7-6CDEA2564D60.jpeg

Few teaser photos from Harry Moore for my rear lights and LED front indicators.

More to follow once the bodywork is all done and dusted.

Have to say Harry’s work is spot on and nothing was a problem when I asked him to add/include a feed for my reverse camera. I’d highly recommend him for anyone looking for this kind of work, I’m so happy with him that I now plan to get him to re-work my headlights when money allows. :)

9DB59DD4-61E0-447E-B1C9-BD995757BDD5.jpeg

DAD764C0-17BF-4414-A65C-5BA6435AA03E.jpeg

A6640B50-9D31-49FF-94DA-D65D01AA0FCA.jpeg

3D53E16B-0F1D-41B5-B08F-25F3D1215B9F.jpeg

BD28D14D-BD85-41CA-8D47-D1AAA9AD79DB.jpeg

• Like 1

Few progress photos from Matt/ MH Bodywork. He is on Facebook and will be posting progress photos as they go if anyone wants to follow him on there? I’ll keep this thread updated as well regardless though.

Bonnet now fitting a lot better after lots of tweaks and front bumper now fitting well after lots of cutting to accommodate the FMIC and we lost the wire mesh for the openings as didn’t add anything or look very nice.

I’m really happy with Matt and the work he’s been doing for me, seems we share the same vision for the car and when he asks me to pop down and discuss issues, we have been on the same page which is really helpful.

Matt was very open in saying he wouldn’t be rushed as he wants to do it right, that was music to my ears and with the trusty Auris on the driveway for day to day use, I have no intentions on hassling him as the work he is doing is excellent. :)

2A9A6CD5-528E-4300-A0B3-43ED5E4E8ADE.jpeg

939CA364-B351-40EB-ADF1-4A9AFE372DD4.jpeg

D87320D1-44E8-4108-A931-E1B5D2A86E63.jpeg

F959C28D-3C23-4202-950B-D6A8BF3F510A.jpeg

There is a load of effort gone into that already Peter. Looking forward to the updates as you go on. Will be a very tidy car when you have done with that.

Love those wheels in that colour, really sets the car off :thumbs:

Cheers Mike, glad you like the progress so far, looking forward to seeing it after the bodywork is all done. :)

Man, your car is soooo magical.

Love the black and copper. Nice tidbits too.

Will definitely follow progress. Cheers! [emoji1687][emoji482]

/QUOTE]

Thanks. :)

Glad you like it, the dark copper looks amazing against the black bodywork, I actually struggle to do it justice in the photos as it really pops in the sunshine. :cool:

Should look amazing once we add the FMIC and associated pipework along with the strut brace and some nice interior touches in the same colour. :)

More photos and updates to follow as I’d like this to become a build thread subject to meeting mod’s approval. :)

I have a lot of plans for this car and don’t intend to ever sell it unless times get really bad. My first Supra was a U.K. spec model also in black that was just starting to come together all those year ago when I had to sell it so the Wife and I could get on the property ladder. I regretted selling that car every single day after that for a good 10yrs, did buy a few others in the interim, but none were on par with the first one and they were cheap for a reason.

This one wasn’t without faults (what car truly is when it’s 20+yrs old), but I genuinely feel this has great potential, and I am doing the work needed to make sure the base car is in good shape for my longer term goals. :)

The car is my toy and will be a weekend car with lots of shows once we can start doing them again. I am not looking to build a track car or a drag car, just want a good looking road car which has good looks, good handling, good brakes and enough power to have some fun with. :)

Nice looking car, keeping you busy during Covid!

Yes, certainly gives me something to focus on during this difficult time. Had some delays as a result, and parts were delayed as well, but it’s getting there thankfully.

Glad you like it, the dark copper looks amazing against the black bodywork, I actually struggle to do it justice in the photos as it really pops in the sunshine. :cool:

Should look amazing once we add the FMIC and associated pipework along with the strut brace and some nice interior touches in the same colour. :)

More photos and updates to follow as I’d like this to become a build thread subject to meeting mod’s approval. :)

I have a lot of plans for this car and don’t intend to ever sell it unless times get really bad. My first Supra was a U.K. spec model also in black that was just starting to come together all those year ago when I had to sell it so the Wife and I could get on the property ladder. I regretted selling that car every single day after that for a good 10yrs, did buy a few others in the interim, but none were on par with the first one and they were cheap for a reason.

This one wasn’t without faults (what car truly is when it’s 20+yrs old), but I genuinely feel this has great potential, and I am doing the work needed to make sure the base car is in good shape for my longer term goals. :)

The car is my toy and will be a weekend car with lots of shows once we can start doing them again. I am not looking to build a track car or a drag car, just want a good looking road car which has good looks, good handling, good brakes and enough power to have some fun with. :)

I cannot agree with you more.

Your idea of a good looking road car is on the same wavelength as my idea for my MKIV.

[emoji1687][emoji482]

I cannot agree with you more.

Your idea of a good looking road car is on the same wavelength as my idea for my MKIV.

[emoji1687][emoji482]

/QUOTE]

Excellent. :thumbs:

Hopefully you’ll enjoy the build in that case as sounds like we have a similar mindset on what looks good with these cars.

It’s also a lot harder to develop something unique with these given people have done them to death over the years. Pretty sure the dark copper for the intercooler and pipework is a first as I’ve not seen it before. Even if it isn’t, I’m quietly confident the whole package will be unique at least. :)

So small update, popped over to the Bodyshop during my lunch break to drop off the new side indicators that will be going in the corners of the new Ridox front bumper and another set of TRD boot spoiler foam gaskets for when Matt re-installs the wing. Also took my tools over to remove the Cusco front strut brace and the intercooler pipework which is going to Insprayation next week to be powder coated in the dark copper they used on my wheels.

Matt has been busy and has managed to get the APR carbon intercooler plate to fit after some cutting and fettling, he’s also managed to get one of the Aerocatches fitted and the gaps either side of the bonnet are now even better than before.

Took a few photos including the SRD coolant overflow tank I got from Lee, the carbon fuse box lid and the carbon cam cover. Note the carbon radiator brackets as well which I got from Paul/Whifbitz.

0D295E2B-1FFE-40C3-BF83-104F6598C797.jpeg

F02FC216-CB8C-4D40-92DB-8DA8BCB23630.jpeg

FD569977-0009-4590-84C2-49935A3AB7AE.jpeg

D901C193-6653-4677-9710-F91BCDAE57C8.jpeg

8B9DE0C9-79E1-49EA-8FC6-E3E111B86D55.jpeg

Damn that looks good in there .... cant wait to see what the finished result looks like.

Thanks Simon, that makes two of us! Lol. ;)

Sadly even when I get the pipes and brace back won’t be going on until Matt does the core which is down on his list at the moment. Still, will be nice to see how they come out as I have high hopes given how good they made the wheels look. :cool:

Quick update, dropped off the intercooler pipework and strut brace at Insprayation this morning. Can’t wait to see how they come out. :cool:

Will add some photos once I get them back as will be a while until Matt has time to paint the core as he’s busy doing all the other bodywork at the moment.

Stay tuned folks. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thought it was time for a quick update. Car is still with the bodyshop and I am due to pop over next week to see how they are getting on and drop off one of my latest purchases. :) We were trying to decide best way to mount/display the front number plate once the guys have finished making it fit perfectly and look the business, didn’t want to drill holes in the new Ridox front bumper if we could help it so decided to get a remote controlled flipper. Should look lovely once installed if others on here are anything to go by. :cool:

The strut brace and intercooler pipes are also back from Insprayation and look stunning. I didn’t get a chance to snap any photos, but hoping Matt will be able to paint the core soon so will make sure I snap a few once we reinstall everything. :)

Managed to drive over to see Keron last week before the local lockdown thankfully to collect a mint condition early type rear seat. This will match my Recaro’s a lot better than the Aztec type version I had before. Took all the bits I don’t need over to Keron as well which made some room for new stuff. :)

I’ve commandeered my Son’s bedroom (he is staying with his Mum at the moment) to store the new rear seat as it will only get dusty if I leave it with the bodyshop. Have to say I was really pleased with the condition as it is mint for the age etc. Cheers Keron. :cool:

As I can’t do a lot without the car here, thought I would do some parts to fit shots. All of these are going down to Lee and the team at SRD when the car is back from the bodyshop to be installed. Car will be going BPU and will have a nice new radiator installed along with a gearbox cooler and some nice bling in the form of a titanium top radiator pipe and some carbon goodness in the form of the fuel tank cover. Interior won’t miss out either as will have a boost controller and some nice new pedals fitted. :)

Also finally getting rid of the naff facelift engine mounts in favour of a set of early type TRD ones with the Whifbitz adaptors as well. Should mean the juddering goes away which will be a massive improvement. :cool:

More updates to follow.

0D1D1EC5-C5ED-45C2-BD01-0EC356B15C0E.jpeg

1FF62861-7AA8-4AD4-BB71-2EAE5CBE1158.jpeg

B6AFE490-03F8-49C0-91F0-A087C9D29C1C.jpeg

330FD5D8-4C9E-4F87-A58A-8A6F228F45AA.jpeg

98A4A442-0058-4A0F-AACF-80A2FB23260C.jpeg

Few more photos of the parts I am adding next. :)

Keen eyed amongst you will spot the new OEM fuel tank hangers. Mine were badly corroded when I removed the old metal cover so needed new ones so we have something solid to mount the new carbon cover to. :)

Also snagged a set of the OEM footwell LED’s from my local mate Phil Tuong which I will look forward to fitting at some point. :)

621D4442-85B7-4514-A5A3-69557F7E5304.jpeg

5BC2B08B-6DA8-4AB1-819C-A2A7BE024A72.jpeg

79E489D2-1220-43FD-86DD-A0DBA3143DB6.jpeg

85F4D991-F48D-4BB4-AFB2-697284861D2D.jpeg

B8923748-8FFA-4637-B2B8-660FFDC042BD.jpeg