Jack's S366 TT6 Build

JackyBoi

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only just realised this was the car I saw today! I'm guessing that was you working on it earlier?

I'm sorry I didn't come have a chat I had my brother and misses waiting in the car and I was nervous about leaving my car at a garage for the first time since I had my bad experience.

I'll have to have a chat and come down to the garage some time. The car looks great and looks like it's coming along nicely!

Only just realised this was the car I saw today! I'm guessing that was you working on it earlier?

I'm sorry I didn't come have a chat I had my brother and misses waiting in the car and I was nervous about leaving my car at a garage for the first time since I had my bad experience.

I'll have to have a chat and come down to the garage some time. The car looks great and looks like it's coming along nicely!

Yes that was indeed me and my car, I was very busy fiddling with wiring so sorry I didn't come out for a chat! Next time you come down I'm sure I'll be there for a talk :thumbs:

A bit of a shocking discovery today if I'm honest. I can't believe I'm still coming across things that the previous garage totally f***ed up, let alone something this serious.

That's one of two water feed outlets that was fitted to feed water to the HKS GT2835 twin turbos. As you can see, a hole wasn't bored in the water neck, meaning NO water would have been flowing through that water line, hence, no water to one of the turbos.

This is the other one

Genuinely disgusted. I can't believe I didn't have any issues with cooling etc. I sincerely hope no damage was caused to the turbo, I highly doubt the garage would be willing to pay for their mistake if it has. Please, please, please, anyone who's having a conversion done at the same place I did, CHECK EVERYTHING.

. Please, please, please, anyone who's having a conversion done at the same place I did, CHECK EVERYTHING.

How would someone know if you don't name and shame them?

At least get in contact with said garage / trader and demand an explanation. If they aren't willing to apologise, fully explain their actions, and possibly give you a partial refund for the work done, then open a dispute on the forum.

I know it's not pleasant to have to do stuff like this, but if you don't you are potentially exposing other forum members to the same issues.

How would someone know if you don't name and shame them?

At least get in contact with said garage / trader and demand an explanation. If they aren't willing to apologise, fully explain their actions, and possibly give you a partial refund for the work done, then open a dispute on the forum.

I know it's not pleasant to have to do stuff like this, but if you don't you are potentially exposing other forum members to the same issues.

Look back in the build thread and you can see who did the conversion. Tbh this isn't the first time I've heard of this sort of quality from said garage, I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt but glad I didn't.

I'm not even gonna bother taking this any further. The garage know they f***ed up, everyone knows who f***ed up - that's all that matters. As long as it doesn't happen again to future customers who are spending thousands and thousands of pounds on their pride and joy, only for everything to be bodged, then that's the important thing.

On a lighter note, I've got so much done today. EGT temp sensor and gauge fully installed, wired and working (blow torch on the sensor showed it works. Unfortunately it only starts at 200 degrees C but that isn't too important)

I spliced into the green for a 12v switched feed and the white for a 12v constant feed.

I also re-wired the boost gauge to these same wires as I didn't want it running off the cigarette 12v feed. Very temporary gauge location:

Next... DOWNPIPE :D

And my favourite photos of this build so far:

Are you planning on putting a slot in the flange that bolts to the head? a lot of the top end manifolds (HKS, Full Race, Whifbitz, etc.) separate this flange into at least 2 sections, I think to help it better seal against the head and reduce the risk of stress fractures in the welds when it expands.

Have you checked the inside of the welds in the manifold to make sure there's nothing that could potentially break away and go through the turbo?

Are you planning on putting a slot in the flange that bolts to the head? a lot of the top end manifolds (HKS, Full Race, Whifbitz, etc.) separate this flange into at least 2 sections, I think to help it better seal against the head and reduce the risk of stress fractures in the welds when it expands.

Have you checked the inside of the welds in the manifold to make sure there's nothing that could potentially break away and go through the turbo?

That's a very good idea, I believe something Jay showed me earlier in this thread but I totally forgot about it. Is it as simple as taking an angle grinder to it and cutting the slot out?

Mapping is booked for Tuesday with Romain (providing the car can run and drive!)

Are the screamer pipes that you have on the fitted on the stand the final length?

If so it looks like they could do with being a bit longer, you want to make sure the hot exhaust gases are well under the car, they will exit at an angle so cut them so they level off under the car.

Has the screamers been welded using tig?

Indeed

Are the screamer pipes that you have on the fitted on the stand the final length?

If so it looks like they could do with being a bit longer, you want to make sure the hot exhaust gases are well under the car, they will exit at an angle so cut them so they level off under the car.

They're not final length yet, we still need to add a bit of length to them and then slash cut :thumbs:

Pretty annoying day. Didn't manage to get the car started due to screamer pipes having moved when being welded, means they need to be re-done. Also need to make 4 x gaskets out of copper as the gaskets supplied with the wastegates are so thin I doubt they'd hold the pressure of a mouse fart. All this means mapping tomorrow with Romain has been cancelled and more than likely means the car can't be mapped in time for Fast Show at the weekend :(

But, I digress, the turbo side is looking epic as ****

Nice one. Glad to see the car is up and running!

Cheers dude!

Have you not connected the side port of the wastgate up?

Looks like only the top is plumbed in

Yes only the top two are plumbed in at the moment, all the rest have been blanked. Today's aim was to simply get the car running, run it in a bit (engine hasn't ran for about 6 months) and fill with fresh oil and coolant. Still need to get my head around exactly what vac hoses this setup will actually require to control boost

Have the waste gate lines not been plumbed in upside down? Or is the a solenoid in the lines somewhere?

I'm very new to wastegates and vac line plumbing (as in this is the first time I've ever done it) so they could be wrong who knows :D I'll be following the diagram I pulled from Supraforums tomorrow