The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jack's S366 TT6 Build

JackyBoi

Ok, first page it say 264 cams.

I honestly think something else is restricting, you are 100 or so HP down on where you should be, filter setup will restrict a little, but no more than 10-20hp I think.

My bad, just changed it. The air filter itself is huge, but the intake pipe is 3" so I thought, as someone in the thread already mentioned, it'd be like trying to suck air through a straw. I can't think what else would be restricting it :/

Your current air filter does not look that small similar size to my first one and I made good power I did swap to a larger one when I went syvecs but no real difference.I can not see 100+ HP gain coming ,I would check everything else over before taking it back

The filter itself is huge in terms of surface area it's just the diameter of it and the intake pipe is 3" vs the turbo's 4", Lee reckons it was the intake holding it back. But yes I'll take the car back to the garage to have everything checked over. Need that 600 back ;)

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3" filter pipe won't be helping but I still think something else is holding you back.

Car would greatly benefit from a set of HKS VVTI cams also.

One other thing, as per your sig, can I ask why your car is running a V160 and not a V161? Did it use to be auto?

Guest Budz86

I agree with Jamie, no way a filter is going to hold the setup back 100 hp and stock intake mani is good for 700+. What size DP and mid you running?

3" filter pipe won't be helping but I still think something else is holding you back.

Car would greatly benefit from a set of HKS VVTI cams also.

One other thing, as per your sig, can I ask why your car is running a V160 and not a V161? Did it use to be auto?

I'd love some 264's but it's a lot of money all in, something for the near future though! As for the signature that'd be because I haven't edited it for a long time and was when I didn't know that some later model 6 speeds had a V161 not a V160

Looking good, glad it went well for you. :)

Thanks, I was very nervous but I shouldn't have been!

I agree with Jamie, no way a filter is going to hold the setup back 100 hp and stock intake mani is good for 700+. What size DP and mid you running?

/QUOTE]

3" all the way through I believe. Exhaust is a Blitz Nur Spec R

If the boost keeps rising but the power doesn't it won't (just) be an intake restriction. Sounds more like the cams need more lift and duration. Even 256's would help. 264's should still give good low end torque if it's set up right. But is a few more top end BHP worth sacrificing any of what seems superb low end boost and torque in a road car?

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

I thought the plan was 272s? I just sold my VVTi HKS 264s - they'd have been spot on :)

They would have been perfect, I just don't have the money at the moment for cams :( I've always wanted 264. I think I'd only go higher if I was having a built engine and circa 800bhp (which is my end-game target.)

If the boost keeps rising but the power doesn't it won't (just) be an intake restriction. Sounds more like the cams need more lift and duration. Even 256's would help. 264's should still give good low end torque if it's set up right. But is a few more top end BHP worth sacrificing any of what seems superb low end boost and torque in a road car?

It may well be the cams, I simply don't know. It ran 600bhp on the big twins, so why wouldn't it push 600 on a single with a very similar setup?

They would have been perfect, I just don't have the money at the moment for cams :( I've always wanted 264. I think I'd only go higher if I was having a built engine and circa 800bhp (which is my end-game target.)

It may well be the cams, I simply don't know. It ran 600bhp on the big twins, so why wouldn't it push 600 on a single with a very similar setup?

Wont be stock cams causing it on a VVTI, we have had 650hp.

• 2 weeks later...

So I haven't updated this in a while, been too busy enjoying the car :D

However I've got a few bits done that needed doing, such as test fitting the stock front bumper and lip:

(Spot the photobomb lol)

The bumper sticks out just below the headlight on the near side, so need to find a way to make it stay in. The clips don't hold it in. The lip fits quite well but also needs a bit of adjusting to get sitting perfect.

I also 'test fitted' the spats which as I expected didn't fit at all:

So this is what they look like now. They've been cut and re-moulded to fit, just need to use filler to smoothen, sand it all down, then paint:

I also did an oil and filter change, front pads, and a few other small bits such as removing the old, melted EGT probe.

But then the fun stopped. On my way home from work last night I heard a very faint metallic clang coming from the clutch. I drove like a granny to the garage at 00:30, on the way it got progressively worse and worse. It's now being diagnosed, unfortunately I was meant to be heading to Modified Nationals today (bloody perfect timing) so if it's anything more than a few loose bolts that don't require the gearbox to come off looks like I won't be going after all!

Just my luck :D more updates to follow

The FMIC looks like it's not sitting horizontally.

A big case stock diff will be fine unless you plan 1/4 miles

Yup, it's been on the piss ever since Whifbitz installed it :D

I use it purely as a street car, with very rare visits to SantaPod. I'm thinking an A02B Torsen diff would be a nice upgrade, if I can find one that is! To be honest any diff that isn't open that will fit into my small case would be fine for me, just want to drive it again

Picked up a new diff today from Girth45, it's an A02A so will do for now until I have funds for a proper LSD.

Took the backing plate off to check the gears, all looks good

Sealed back up with Threebond 1215, just gotta take the old one off and put this one on! Still unsure whether to change the bushings now or wait until the LSD goes on

Glad your sorted. Nice time of year to have a blast!

It is indeed, once all this rain stops that is!

Nice to see you getting sorted jack. Everything else good with the car at the moment? You have to take me for a ride next time I'm down the garage :)

/QUOTE]

Thanks Jason, for now I hope so! Seems to be one thing after another! I sure will, a bit further afield than that bumpy arse road though I reckon! Haha. I haven't been to the garage properly for a while - have your turbos been sent off for rebuilding yet?

It is indeed, once all this rain stops that is!

Thanks Jason, for now I hope so! Seems to be one thing after another! I sure will, a bit further afield than that bumpy arse road though I reckon! Haha. I haven't been to the garage properly for a while - have your turbos been sent off for rebuilding yet?

Sounds good!

Definitely, that road isn't the best is it! I don't know they should have been sent off but no idea. You'll have to remind me I need an MOT as well ;)

Quite a fun day today. Removed the old knackered diff ready to put in the other old probably knackered diff, but at least it means I can be on the road until I have the funds for a proper LSD. Out with the old:

Here's the damage

And in with the, um, old...

Will be interesting to see how long this holds up for