Jack's S366 TT6 Build

JackyBoi

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

*part, as it's only one Chinese part, and why not? No one on here (that I know of at least) has a cheap and cheerful Chinese manifold and I want to see if it will actually work or not for a prolonged period of time - if it does then happy days; I've just saved about a grand. If not, then it can be binned and a proper manifold will be purchased :)

Before your time, using XS power manifolds was reasonably commonplace. But people found they didn't work well, they cracked, they needed a lot of work etc. That's not to say you'll definitely have the same issues or anything, but that's the reason they have such a bad name on here. And while I would consider using a chinese manifold (though never on my Supra), I would only ever use a reputable brand turbo (as you are) and wastegate (?).

Are you going for the boostlabs variant with the billet wheel. What exhaust housing are you going for?

I think it's just a normal S366 I'm buying. What's the advantage of a billet wheel? And a .91 a/r divided housing

I always find the ebay stuff to be quite reasonable tbh. Turbos obviously notwithstanding but anything else, yea no issues - common sense prevailing

China make pretty much everything because they are masterminds in mass-production. Just because something from them is very cheap doesn't necessarily mean it's total crap!

Before your time, using XS power manifolds was reasonably commonplace. But people found they didn't work well, they cracked, they needed a lot of work etc. That's not to say you'll definitely have the same issues or anything, but that's the reason they have such a bad name on here. And while I would consider using a chinese manifold (though never on my Supra), I would only ever use a reputable brand turbo (as you are) and wastegate (?).

I'll be using either a Tial or Turbosmart wastegate - only cheaping out on the manifold here ;)

I think it's just a normal S366 I'm buying. What's the advantage of a billet wheel? And a .91 a/r divided housing

China make pretty much everything because they are masterminds in mass-production. Just because something from them is very cheap doesn't necessarily mean it's total crap!

I would go for the smaller .86 housing to be honest. I found the .91 laggy, annoyingly so. I think the billet wheel has something to do with better flow although im not 100% on the actual science of it.

I agree on the chinese mass production point. They got the design from somewhere to copy it so they manufactured it at some point so why would it be of significantly lesser quality

so why would it be of significantly lesser quality

You can tell straight away that it isn't up to the same standard as something like a HKS manifold. The welds aren't as neat, the flanges don't look as well finished etc.

My HKS manifold as a comparison.

But I'm hoping that by using a quality turbo and wastegate, some bracing, and the work he's doing to improve the manifold, Jack will have a reliable setup for a decent price. :)

I would go for the smaller .86 housing to be honest. I found the .91 laggy, annoyingly so. I think the billet wheel has something to do with better flow although im not 100% on the actual science of it.

I agree on the chinese mass production point. They got the design from somewhere to copy it so they manufactured it at some point so why would it be of significantly lesser quality

Really? I thought a .86 might choke a bit at high RPM's. I was also under the impression the .86 a/r isn't divided, the smallest divided option was .91 (from what I've been researching)

They're definitely significantly lesser quality, but nowhere near as bad as everyone makes them out to be!

You can tell straight away that it isn't up to the same standard as something like a HKS manifold. The welds aren't as neat, the flanges don't look as well finished etc.

My HKS manifold as a comparison.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm203/j_s14a/Snoopy%20Supra/IMG_20151009_180457_zpsrmktoaja.jpg

But I'm hoping that by using a quality turbo and wastegate, some bracing, and the work he's doing to improve the manifold, Jack will have a reliable setup for a decent price. :)

Jeez, that manifold is nice! You can clearly see the differences between Chinese replicas, and the real deal. It's just the price margin between the two is massive. And I hope so too :)

Edited by JackyBoi (see edit history)

Why does everyone come on people's thread and batter them for the parts they use ??? It's his choice let him get on with it and encourage him instead of being bloody negative all the time, if it works it works if it doesn't it doesn't but it's all about trying new things,

Good on you jack hope this manifold works for you bud and if not then you know for next time, keep up the good work and keep the pics coming fella

Why does everyone come on people's thread and batter them for the parts they use ??? It's his choice let him get on with it and encourage him instead of being bloody negative all the time, if it works it works if it doesn't it doesn't but it's all about trying new things,

Good on you jack hope this manifold works for you bud and if not then you know for next time, keep up the good work and keep the pics coming fella

Thanks dude, I really hope it works out too. If it even starts to show signs of cracking I'll put it in the bin - the last thing I want is tiny bits of metal going up into the turbo!

Why does everyone come on people's thread and batter them for the parts they use ??? It's his choice let him get on with it and encourage him instead of being bloody negative all the time.

Batter him? I was only asking a genuine question, jeeez.

Thanks dude, I really hope it works out too. If it even starts to show signs of cracking I'll put it in the bin - the last thing I want is tiny bits of metal going up into the turbo!

Fair enough for trying, you have respect for that as other's have said.

I was simply wondering why you'd make such as choice after having a quality HKS kit which is made to fit correctly. I would imagine the new manifold is going to cause headaches not fitting (studs fouling the manifold etc) and by the time you've modified it and braced it i expect time taken etc would make a quality one a better choice.

Even with all the preparation in the world if a bit comes loose whilst the engine is running i very much doubt you'd know, or react in time before damage is caused.

But kudos for trying, good luck!

Batter him? I was only asking a genuine question, jeeez.

Fair enough for trying, you have respect for that as other's have said.

I was simply wondering why you'd make such as choice after having a quality HKS kit which is made to fit correctly. I would imagine the new manifold is going to cause headaches not fitting (studs fouling the manifold etc) and by the time you've modified it and braced it i expect time taken etc would make a quality one a better choice.

Even with all the preparation in the world if a bit comes loose whilst the engine is running i very much doubt you'd know, or react in time before damage is caused.

But kudos for trying, good luck!

To experiment! I'm hoping by taking said precautions that nothing bad will happen. The bad reviews etc that come with these manifolds no doubt come from people who buy them and stick them straight on without doing any fabrication work prior. But, yeah, you're right, if anything DOES go wrong I may not be able to react in time. Thinking about having a load of sensors fitted for the Syvecs to be able to cut the engine if anything does go wrong

To experiment! I'm hoping by taking said precautions that nothing bad will happen. The bad reviews etc that come with these manifolds no doubt come from people who buy them and stick them straight on without doing any fabrication work prior. But, yeah, you're right, if anything DOES go wrong I may not be able to react in time. Thinking about having a load of sensors fitted for the Syvecs to be able to cut the engine if anything does go wrong

My main concern would be the welds inside the manifold and the danger of material breaking off and going through the turbo, it might be worth putting an endoscope through the tubing so you can check the welds.

My main concern would be the welds inside the manifold and the danger of material breaking off and going through the turbo, it might be worth putting an endoscope through the tubing so you can check the welds.

That's my main concern too. I'm hoping there's something we can do to blast everything out from the inside, would a sandblaster work okay does anyone think? We have a cool little camera used for checking cylinders so I'll use that to look at the welds :)

This in my opinion is why its worth buying expensive manifolds, you get what you pay for. The grinders your on about will only reach what you can see, if you cant see it how you ment to clean it? At least with decent manifolds theres alot of trial and error in the fabrication stages to ensure its a quality item, thats why they cost mega money. Say something does go wrong and you end up screwing the turbo, youll have to replace the turbo and buy a new manifold. You pay cheap you pay twice in my opinion.

This in my opinion is why its worth buying expensive manifolds, you get what you pay for. The grinders your on about will only reach what you can see, if you cant see it how you ment to clean it? At least with decent manifolds theres alot of trial and error in the fabrication stages to ensure its a quality item, thats why they cost mega money. Say something does go wrong and you end up screwing the turbo, youll have to replace the turbo and buy a new manifold. You pay cheap you pay twice in my opinion.

As Jay said we can use an endoscope to see if there's any 'slag' or metal flakes from the welds etc that can't be reached by any grinder, if so then obviously I'll get a new manifold. But looking inside the runners themselves are perfectly smooth, it's just in the collector I can see rough edges where there's potential for bits of metal to come detached. I'll update this once we've used the endoscope :)

You can see why Whifbitz use billet collectors :) Although My HKS is very good, you just can't compare with a single machined piece :)

I was very very tempted in just getting one of the Whifbitz billet manifolds with twin gates, that price tag though :O

If this one doesn't work out, I think I'm gonna go for a Full Race manifold. They seem to make quality manifolds and not too expensive either

i work in china.... its fact that 95% of the work is indeed good, its the remaining 5% that they let you down on. id check and re check the manifold and make sure nothing goes through that turbo. id start by checking what material its actually made from first. ive had cutting blades for an industrial shredder made before and they looked fantastic until it was discovered the blades were not made from the specified hardened material and infact were made from structural steel which was like butter when the machine turned on. ultimately costing the company 30k more than getting the blades made in Europe. id also point out Chinese metals are not good quality period compared to Europe or the US.

that said we have many machines with over 3000 working hours on chinese parts so id check everything and then run with it.

i work in china.... its fact that 95% of the work is indeed good, its the remaining 5% that they let you down on. id check and re check the manifold and make sure nothing goes through that turbo. id start by checking what material its actually made from first. ive had cutting blades for an industrial shredder made before and they looked fantastic until it was discovered the blades were not made from the specified hardened material and infact were made from structural steel which was like butter when the machine turned on. ultimately costing the company 30k more than getting the blades made in Europe. id also point out Chinese metals are not good quality period compared to Europe or the US.

that said we have many machines with over 3000 working hours on chinese parts so id check everything and then run with it.

It's 321 stainless steel which to my knowledge isn't that common but it's still up to the task for being used for a manifold in terms of heat resistance (at least it should be :D )