The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jack's S366 TT6 Build

JackyBoi

You'd probably be better to turn the turbo housing around so the silicone joiner is pointing downwards. We had a similar setup to what you've mocked up there and after time the silicone joiner had collapsed and was restricting air flow. Or you could weld a 90 degree piece of aluminium onto the turbo housing?

Unfortunately it fouls on the manifold, meaning that is the furthest we can rotate the housing (unless we cut out the whole manifold runner and re-welded it in lower, but what an arse ache!)

Aren't you going to absolutely cook your brake and clutch fluids by positions the wastegates there, even with a heatshield?

Also, I think you'll need to fun flexi sections between the manifold and the wastegates if you're mounting them to something that won't move with the engine. You'd still need to fun flexis after the wastegates too.

The brackets are literally just to hold the gates in place while we fab the pipes; they'll either be held in place just by the pipes (they're very light) or we'll make up a small bracket. And no with a heat shield it will be fine

There is some real cockamamie stuff going on with this build now, be different by all means but some of the recent ideas are absolutely farcical.

I disagree, but thanks for your opinion :)

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bear in mind there will be 700+ degreesC flowing through those wastegates. My wastegate is tucked well away from anything that isn't already running at that temperature.

It'll be a squeeze, but may be best to try get them set closer to the engine/turbo and away from everything else. A heat shield will put up a fight, but may not keep all that thermal heat transfer at bay.

IIRC, power steering fluid is inflammable. So only needs heat to catch fire at atmospheric pressure. No spark needed, so please be careful :)

Bear in mind there will be 700+ degreesC flowing through those wastegates. My wastegate is tucked well away from anything that isn't already running at that temperature.

It'll be a squeeze, but may be best to try get them set closer to the engine/turbo and away from everything else. A heat shield will put up a fight, but may not keep all that thermal heat transfer at bay.

IIRC, power steering fluid is inflammable. So only needs heat to catch fire at atmospheric pressure. No spark needed, so please be careful :)

Okay thanks for your help, I'll have a talk and see about options, although with a thick heat wrapped alloy heat shield (plus everything in the bay is being heat wrapped; manifold, wastegate pipes, downpipe, screamer pipes) hopefully heat won't be too much of a problem compared to my big twins setup! ;)

Come on peeps, try and be constructive if you want to help.

We're all different, but threads like these is what makes the car scene for me. Nowadays it seems like people are more interested in showing off rather than having any passion for tinkering and learning as you go. Some of my fondest memories of my old cars consist of late nights with friends overcoming obstacles and eating junk food with dirty hands. :D

Come on peeps, try and be constructive if you want to help.

We're all different, but threads like these is what makes the car scene for me. Nowadays it seems like people are more interested in showing off rather than having any passion for tinkering and learning as you go. Some of my fondest memories of my old cars consist of late nights with friends overcoming obstacles and eating junk food with dirty hands. :D

Thanks dude, that's what I love about cars too the tinkering and being with friends in the process, doing things that people don't usually do just because why not! Yes it would be very easy and simple to spend 1.5k on a manifold, bolt it to the car, bolt the turbo and wastegates up and be done with it... But where's the fun in that ;)

The flanges for fitting the gates arrived after 12 hours!

Had to do a bit of cutting for these two

We've moved the gates out a bit to allow more room to fit the pipes to the underside

Started some fab

This is the flange I was talking about to raise the turbo a little higher

More to come soon :)

I thought stoners were a bit more positive than this... ;)

More realists & down to earth... apparently :innocent:

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to p155 on your parade. You have a nice car but have done some things that don't quite make sense to me, especially when you have spend the kind of £££'s you have on her. I hope it all works out for you :)

Some really good progress made today! Screamer pipes, wastegate to manifold pipes and intercooler pipes angled, cut and tac'd

Car looks like it's own workshop

Waiting for the downpipe v-band boss to allow us to do the downpipe, exhaust flange and a few other bits before the TIG welder can work his magic ;) also need to give her an oil change (ordered Royal Purple 10w40) fill with coolant and have the map flattened out (at the moment I can't even gain access to the ECU for some f****d up reason :(

Came home from work to find some nice goodies awaiting. And FINALLY the downpipe v-band came which means we can now make the downpipe

Royal Purple 10w40 synthetic

3" V-band with weld on boss

T4 divided gasket (I might need to order another one since I'm using a T4 flange between the manifold and turbo)

Panic is setting in - with less than 3 weeks to go until this car needs to be finished, mapped and driving reliably (in time for fast show) I bloody hope we can make it happen :(

More welding done yesterday :) just need the downpipe now, then she'll be ready to put together and fire up ready for a thorough mapping session :D (yes I know the welding isn't the BEST but it will definitely do)

Also had my indicators and reflectors smoked and fitted a turbo badge

And re-fitted my Veilside gear knob as I much prefer the feel over the big alloy one

Edited by JackyBoi (see edit history)

Good luck with your new setup mate ;)

Thank you man I cannot wait :D

Much neater to simply go straight down with the IC pipework, shorter pipework and you won't see all them cuts and welds then.

Indeed it would, unfortunately due to the manifold the turbo housing just couldn't rotate enough to allow for a nice 'down' intercooler pipe. That plus the current intercooler pipes already line up with that hole, so figured why not keep it the same (for now at least)

I quite like the segmented look ;)

:thumbs:

Could you do me a favour next time you're working on the car, get a rough diameter of the hole, and just see if there would be room to remove much more material. I plan on making an airbox, and am thinking about using a 4" preformed bend through that area as a cold air feed. With the gaskets I can get, I'd need to remove about 4.5".

Cheers mate :)

Could you do me a favour next time you're working on the car, get a rough diameter of the hole, and just see if there would be room to remove much more material. I plan on making an airbox, and am thinking about using a 4" preformed bend through that area as a cold air feed. With the gaskets I can get, I'd need to remove about 4.5".

No problem mate, it's definitely larger than 4" (I'd estimate between 4 & 5) but I'll measure next time I'm in :)

Looking good so far and some nice progress made, looking forward to seeing the results once done and on the Dyno.

What's the 2 bolts welded to the manifold for?

For some bracing dude, 2 15mm rods bolted to the block supporting the manifold from underneath. Will suspend the turbo with rose joints at a later date

The diameter of that hole is a tad under 5.5" mate, with approx 2 inches that could still be removed if necessary