Jack's S366 TT6 Build

JackyBoi

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What was your oil level like in your old diff , where your diff failed looks to be rouged a sign of lack of lubrication , was you car standing for a long time?

Oil level seemed a little low but nothing major, between 1 - 1.5 litres I would guess. It was sitting for quite a while at various times yes

Did the oil in the broken diff sell burnt? Torsen diffs heat up te oil like hell if they have to do any real work.... That diff looks like it has lubrication break down, was the oil level ok when you drained it? Neo make one of the best diff oils, but be prepared to dig deep.

Not sure about the burnt smell bit, but it definitely stank of something unholy!

Wow that is some serious damage. I'm surprised. Must be a lubrication issue surely? hope all is well with the new diff! "one tyre fire" here we come lol

/QUOTE]

Maybe that was the issue, not sure at the moment. I'm putting it down to an old stock diff, taking abuse for a long time coupled with the low-ish oil level!

• 4 weeks later...

So it's been a while since I've updated this thread! I've been very busy with work, holidays and enjoying the car. It's lovely being able to drive it without stuff breaking on it - the diff is holding up surprisingly well! It keeps the car relatively straight during WOT which I find strange as it's almost better than the old diff!

I had the car dyno'd a few weeks back with the new 4" K&N air filter. We reeaaally struggled for traction (must have been the rollers) but we managed a reading of 563rwhp which I'm very happy with! Anyone know what that will be at the flywheel?

https://vimeo.com/172950117

https://vimeo.com/172950533

I also went to a few random local meets, not the best turn out weather wise but it's always fun:

(Who can spot the popo photobomb lol)

I still have lots of little bits to sort out, but these will have to wait unfortunately. For now though I'm just enjoying the car whilst the nice(ish) weather lasts! Hopefully others are doing the same :thumbs:

Edited by JackyBoi (see edit history)

Thanks dude! How's your car coming along - have you got the turbos back from the rebuild yet?

They came back last Tuesday I think but the sump gasket is being done too as I wanted all leaks or seeping sorted. I have no idea what the progress is right now as I he was waiting on the gasket to turn up.

They came back last Tuesday I think but the sump gasket is being done too as I wanted all leaks or seeping sorted. I have no idea what the progress is right now as I he was waiting on the gasket to turn up.

/QUOTE]

Fair enough mate, hopefully it will be done soon enough & you can get it back on the road!

Had a fun day at SantaPod yesterday with my mate in his Evo running almost 400bhp. People described it as some kind of Fast and Furious battle! I didn't want to launch hard or change gears too quickly as I'm still a bit paranoid about breaking parts of my drivetrain; I still need to install an LSD and differential + subframe bushings to stop the wheel hop/axle tramp. But it was good fun and I ran a 13.1 & 117mph. Lots of improvement to me made although like I said this was purely for fun and not competitive :p

https://vimeo.com/173232465

Did they not tell you to get a helmet on after that run ?

Some faster gear changes and you will be in the 12's there. Terminal speed backs up you're dyno runs. I bet you're glad it's all come together, enjoy it :thumbs:

I'd been doing 115-119mph in all the runs but they only asked me to put one on after the third! Yeah my granny shifting slowed me down quite a bit, hope to see 12's once I've got the new diff :)

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

As some of you probably know my car recently started pluming smoke out the exhaust after my oil filler cap came off and sent oil flying.

Well me and the mad scientist stripped down the turbo side of things today and it's safe to say the turbo is done:

The compressor wheel had so much movement it was like nothing was even holding it in.

We also did a compression check, these are the results which aren't great IMO (would like to hear people's opinions on these as it makes the difference between keeping the engine as it is for a while or rebuilding it)

1/2/3 = 135psi

4/5 = 130psi

6 = 128psi

We put a small camera down each bore and couldn't see any scoring or even a significant amount of oil - there was some oil residue sitting on top of a couple of the pistons from all the oil in the turbo/manifold, but nothing more. We didn't have time to do a leak down test.

Next job will be to remove the manifold and inspect the exhaust valve stem seals to see if they're failing (they were replaced at Whifbitz when I had the big twin conversion so I would have thought they'd be okay) but I also realised today that they didn't change my headgasket when they did the stem seals!?

Anyway, for now my thoughts are to sell on whatever I can from the 6266 as spares and buy a BW S362/S366 or similar, inspect the integrity of the manifold to see how well it's holding up and if it's not then replace that too, and also obviously to do a leak down test and inspect stem seals. And fit my damn AEM oil pressure gauge lol. Updates to come! :thumbs:

UPDATE

As some of you probably know my car recently started pluming smoke out the exhaust after my oil filler cap came off and sent oil flying.

Well me and the mad scientist stripped down the turbo side of things today and it's safe to say the turbo is done:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160830/371a7de6789c99bf66f35791d36b4c35.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160830/91f21c6d533ff089d5c00a49d6ab2527.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160830/487451fec0f1883fba7cddcfad249403.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160830/fc37444c781b6573a6f4ef0c14ff85f5.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160830/0ab5c3b8a331d2216a717a158b9b8c96.jpg

The compressor wheel had so much movement it was like nothing was even holding it in.

We also did a compression check, these are the results which aren't great IMO (would like to hear people's opinions on these as it makes the difference between keeping the engine as it is for a while or rebuilding it)

1/2/3 = 135psi

4/5 = 130psi

6 = 128psi

We put a small camera down each bore and couldn't see any scoring or even a significant amount of oil - there was some oil residue sitting on top of a couple of the pistons from all the oil in the turbo/manifold, but nothing more. We didn't have time to do a leak down test.

Next job will be to remove the manifold and inspect the exhaust valve stem seals to see if they're failing (they were replaced at Whifbitz when I had the big twin conversion so I would have thought they'd be okay) but I also realised today that they didn't change my headgasket when they did the stem :

Thats because they won't have taken the head off to do it. They will have used "the rope trick". Its a bit rough.....but it does work

Standard pressure:

1,079 kPa (11.0 kgf/cm2, 156 psi) or more

Minimum pressure:

883 kPa (9.0 kgf/cm2, 128 psi)

Difference between each cylinder:

98 kPa (1.0 kgf/cm2, 14 psi) or less

(d) If the cylinder compression in 1 or more cylinders is low,

pour a small amount of engine oil into the cylinder through

the spark plug hole and repeat steps (a) through (b) for

the cylinder with low compression.

If adding oil helps the compression, it is likely that

the piston rings and/or cylinder bore are probably

worn or damaged.

If pressure stays low, a valve may be sticking or

seating improper, or there may be leakage past the

gasket.

Thats because they won't have taken the head off to do it. They will have used "the rope trick". Its a bit rough.....but it does work

/QUOTE]

Bizarre, oh well

Standard pressure:

1,079 kPa (11.0 kgf/cm2, 156 psi) or more

Minimum pressure:

883 kPa (9.0 kgf/cm2, 128 psi)

Difference between each cylinder:

98 kPa (1.0 kgf/cm2, 14 psi) or less

(d) If the cylinder compression in 1 or more cylinders is low,

pour a small amount of engine oil into the cylinder through

the spark plug hole and repeat steps (a) through (b) for

the cylinder with low compression.

If adding oil helps the compression, it is likely that

the piston rings and/or cylinder bore are probably

worn or damaged.

If pressure stays low, a valve may be sticking or

seating improper, or there may be leakage past the

gasket.

Wow that's some very useful information, thank you very much! I think I might give that a try

P.s did you fit an oil restrictor when you fitted that turbo? If so thats what has killed it. Journal bearings need all the oil they can get

/QUOTE]

I did not no, SRD made that very clear haha

Bizarre, oh well

Wow that's some very useful information, thank you very much! I think I might give that a try

I did not no, SRD made that very clear haha

Ah ok, well i suppose in one sense thats good, on the other.....turbo mystery continues. Have you checked to see if your turbo oil drain is blocked or kinked in any way? Excess oil pressure could also cause it to fail. Looks like excess if that oil has found its way past the seals. Seals in modern turbos are more like piston rings than traditional seals, they will allow oil past them with excess pressure but wont blow out of them as such.

Thats essentially what happened mine....

Ah ok, well i suppose in one sense thats good, on the other.....turbo mystery continues. Have you checked to see if your turbo oil drain is blocked or kinked in any way? Excess oil pressure could also cause it to fail. Looks like excess if that oil has found its way past the seals. Seals in modern turbos are more like piston rings than traditional seals, they will allow oil past them with excess pressure but wont blow out of them as such.

Thats essentially what happened mine....

/QUOTE]

Hahaha it sure is a mystery. A month or two back the tip of my EGT probe disintegrated into what I can only imagine to be tiny tiny bits of swarf (since I couldn't find any residue of it anywhere) - perhaps that was sitting round my oil seal/housing for quite some time and gradually ruined the seal?

Ouch dude. :(

Definitely perform a leak down to further investigate the internals. Once you've done that, ditch the oil and examine.

Also, you're going to want to wash out your FMIC. It'll no doubt be carrying oil residue. Pour in some petrol, give it a shake around and rinse it out.

Ouch dude. :(

Definitely perform a leak down to further investigate the internals. Once you've done that, ditch the oil and examine.

Also, you're going to want to wash out your FMIC. It'll no doubt be carrying oil residue. Pour in some petrol, give it a shake around and rinse it out.

I will be doing both of those things mate thanks :thumbs:

As for the FMIC no oil got into the compressor, FMIC or intake; it's all sitting in the exhaust housing, downpipe and manifold which is a good sign

There may have been no really excessive amount of oil in the intake side, it may all of just been going down the hot exhaust side and smoking. Unless the compression gauge is top notch and calibrated they are notoriously inaccurate, I wouldn't necessarily say the figures are cause for concern.

There was no oil whatsoever in any of the intercooler pipes, intercooler, intake, BOV etc so you're spot on there :)

As for the compression gauge it's a Snap-on kit so I can only imagine it's better than most, but as you said it may be slightly inaccurate. What do you make of pouring oil into the lower compression cylinder (#6 was 128psi) and seeing if it rises? I've never heard of anyone doing it personally but last time it was compression checked they were all between 170-180psi.

That's a new turbo, must of killed it using anti lag.

Indeed it's a new turbo, not 100% convinced it was down to anti-lag though; the EGT probe that disintegrated a month or two ago could have worn the seal