The mkiv Supra Owners Club

James's DJG Turbo Project

TheTurtleshead

Took advantage of a nice sunny day today, and worked out how to mount my oil cooler. I've had these bits of aluminium lurking in the garage for almost a year for this very job. ;)

I just need to make up some ducting from the scoop on the bumper now. Also toying with the idea of adding a tiny little

kenlowe fan to aid cooling when in traffic etc.

attachment.php?attachmentid=197023&stc=1&d=1423559592

attachment.php?attachmentid=197024&stc=1&d=1423559592

attachment.php?attachmentid=197025&stc=1&d=1423559592

IMG_3353.jpg

IMG_3354.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)

Today I did this!! :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=197066&stc=1&d=1423607790

I had to drop the subframe to allow me to fit my -8 Hard line in place of the stock fuel feed. I copied the stock setup of a rubber hose from the top of the tank to the hard line above the sub frame, and then a hard line to the filter.

Hard line straightened out:

attachment.php?attachmentid=197069&stc=1&d=1423607790

New hard line is a -8 copy of the stock 5/16 feed:

attachment.php?attachmentid=197070&stc=1&d=1423607790

I replaced the filter with an large bore Aeromotive one. which allows me to go -8 straight into one end of the rail. I also fitted my custom pump hanger with Bosch 044 installed and ready to go.

attachment.php?attachmentid=197067&stc=1&d=1423607790

attachment.php?attachmentid=197068&stc=1&d=1423607790

attachment.php?attachmentid=195323&stc=1&d=1419115358

IMG_3365.jpg

IMG_3367.jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

IMG_3366.jpg

IMG_3368.jpg

Keep the O.E. pipe, those are regularly wanted items. :)

Reserved for Shane's new project. :)

Today I did this!

attachment.php?attachmentid=197128&stc=1&d=1423686859

My phone died and I have actually finished the fuel system entirely now.

I pressurised the system up by bridging the fP & B+ terminals on the under bonnet diag port. Wound the FPR up to 4 bar and checked for leaks. I couldn't see anything and the pressure was rock steady.. Winning!

Fitted my bosch knock sensor and torqued to 20nm/14.8ft.lbs as per Bosch specs. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=197129&stc=1&d=1423686859

Fitted my new runners with 14mm injector bungs welded in.

attachment.php?attachmentid=197131&stc=1&d=1423686859

This is the only pic I took of the fuel lines before the phone died! This the -6 return from FPR to rail.

attachment.php?attachmentid=197130&stc=1&d=1423686859

Full specs of the fuel system are:

-ID1000cc Injectors(Cleaned and flow tested by Chris Wilson)

-HKS Fuel Rail

-Runners with welded collets

-Bosch 044 Pump

-AN8 Feed line to Aeromotive Filter

-AN8 Feed to Rear of Rail

-AN6 Return to FPR

-AN6 Return to stock return line

Total cost is around £850 for anyone interested. I got some bargains so I'd say a grand would get you this setup normally. It should do ~750hp/850bhp I think, then the pump will become the limiting factor.

I'll take more pics of progress tomorrow!

IMG_3371.jpg

IMG_3373.jpg

IMG_3374.jpg

IMG_3375.jpg

Success! Syvecs in, fuel pump relay adapter plugged in, sensor loom pinned in...! It all looks ok apart from the Cal Switch,which is doing weird things, which I will investigate tomorrow. Thanks to Lee for the base map!

If I get my oil cooler lines made up, and the VVTi Oil housing bolt I ordered from toyota turns up, I might be able to fire her up at the weekend. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=197226&stc=1&d=1423782630

IMG_3398.jpg

You waste no time do you james lol

Over the last year I haven't had the time to waste Alex. :( It will get harder soon with the new job, as my weekends are going to be busy. However I will be able to spend time in the evenings on my cars as I will be at home in the week, unlike before away for 5 days at a time!

But yeah.... I am impatient. :D

I have had the adapters for injectors, fuel pump relay, map sensor etc... plus the sensor loom and the syvecs patch loom made up and sitting in a box ready for a year don't forget. The trick to speedy assembly is planning all this stuff out beforehand!

- - - Updated - - -

Great write ups of the mods you're doing. Love seeing a decent homer come along.

Did you mean to write Homer? :D

Good choice on going single rather than big twins. What manifold and wastegate are you using for the build?

A new kit from a trader on here. I can't post pics yet as the kit isn't released. It will be a HKS 60mm waste gate, the manifold is twin scroll, and my DP is 3". The quality is stunning and I have been dribbling over the pictures for the last couple of days. Cannot wait to get my hands on it!

I will be posting up a full, and detailed product review of the new kit once I have it fitted.

A new kit from a trader on here. I can't post pics yet as the kit isn't released. It will be a HKS 60mm waste gate, the manifold is twin scroll, and my DP is 3". The quality is stunning and I have been dribbling over the pictures for the last couple of days. Cannot wait to get my hands on it!

I will be posting up a full, and detailed product review of the new kit once I have it fitted.

I think I have an idea on which trader that is [emoji6]. But sounds good it'll be interesting to see what you make of it.

Have you got an goal in mind when it comes to power? And will you be sticking with the stock inlet?

So I finished the first milestone today!

Oil Cooler lines complete, VVti oil filter housing bolt and oil pressure sensor fitted:

attachment.php?attachmentid=197347&stc=1&d=1424022943

attachment.php?attachmentid=197346&stc=1&d=1424022943

So now the bay looks like this, pretty standard with a few sneaky additions. :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=197348&stc=1&d=1424022943

attachment.php?attachmentid=197349&stc=1&d=1424022943

MAP Sensor adapter plugs into stock loom. Apart from the Auto to Manual conversion I have not modified the stock loom one bit. :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=197350&stc=1&d=1424022943

Syvecs sensor loom just plugs straight in. Easy engine removal guaranteed- No cutting here!

attachment.php?attachmentid=197351&stc=1&d=1424022963

AANNNDD IT'S ALIIIIIVEEEEEE!!! Now powered by Syvecs. :D:D:D

I had a small confusion with the idle control valve being assigned wrong. but changing the pin assignments round saw it idling like a baby at 850 RPM. :D

It just needed a little global tweak of the Fuel map and the idle map up/down respectively and it starts and runs perfectly.

So, so pleased my loom adapter is doing it's job. :D

Thanks to Lee for the base map!

IMG_3404.jpg

IMG_3405.jpg

IMG_3407.jpg

IMG_3408.jpg

IMG_3410.jpg

IMG_3406.jpg

Nice work. What clutch you using James?

RPS Streetmax with a stock centre disk.... not sure what it will hold. The internet tells me around 600 ft/lb.. not sure tbh! If it fails I'll get an LA twin.

Edit: MVP Say 660 ft/lbs Torque for an RPS Cover plate and stock disc.