The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra or GT-R

Guest DNate

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely agree my 700hp r34 GTR cost way more than my R35 does!

Funny that cause I find rwd boring as I cant corner as fast, but each to there own! Not sure your nan could take 1.3+ g my GTR was pulling round Cadwell cause I'm no where near an oap and my neck felt like it was going to snap! Never had that with the Supra!

As long as you can handle the disappointment :D I'll be doing a good few track days next year come along :)

My point is even poor driver can drive these fast I was at goodwood a few months ago the gtr driver had no sense of lines or apex's but it did not matter in a rwd it would of been a different story some people like that but for me its too much driver aid think clarkson sums up this pretty good here

I don't think you can compare the two, very different cars, I have driven both and loved them for different reasons.

When the day finally comes to wave good bye to the Supra a 997 Turbo or Gt2 will be on my drive instead, it ain't going to be for a few years though. A GT2 is probably as close as you can get to a supra for feel now a days (having driven one of those too).

I love my supra because I love the way it looks, sounds and drives. I wouldn't get a GTR becuase .. well I can't afford one and the styling is not my cup of tea but if someone gave me one I wouldn't say no :p When prices come down I am going to get a viper, just seen the new one and I think it looks sweet.

http://themellowjihadi.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/2013-SRT-Dodge-Viper.jpg

My point is even poor driver can drive these fast I was at goodwood a few months ago the gtr driver had no sense of lines or apex's but it did not matter in a rwd it would of been a different story some people like that but for me its too much driver aid think clarkson sums up this pretty good here

Really because in this video he say's "it feels analogue, mechanical and bloody fantastic". 5:00 onwards. JC is in the business of selling his opinions and he will say anything to sell dvd's ;)

I'm sure it would have been a different story at Goodwood, i.e. the guy would have just been going slower, there were plenty of novices on track at Cadwell and they were spinning off or going slower in RWD cars. The point is if the guy was with a load of other GTR's being driven by better drivers he would be the slowest! Like I said each to there own, Supra's are great cars... just enjoy it :)

Edited by rob wild (see edit history)

Really because in this video he say's "it feels analogue, mechanical and bloody fantastic". 5:00 onwards. JC is in the business of selling his opinions and he will say anything to sell dvd's ;)

I'm sure it would have been a different story at Goodwood, i.e. the guy would have just been going slower, there were plenty of novices on track at Cadwell and they were spinning off or going slower in RWD cars. The point is if the guy was with a load of other GTR's being driven by better drivers he would be the slowest! Like I said each to there own, Supra's are great cars... just enjoy it :)

I think that was the only positive comment in the video ,very strange and conflicting reviews from Clarkson as you say he gets paid to make reviews makes me wonder which review is more truthful , I do like the gtr's and the idea of it although I think I'd have to keep the supra as well if I had to have one,at the moment though the more people leave more singles are broken it might make mine that little bit rarer.

I think that was the only positive comment in the video ,very strange and conflicting reviews from Clarkson as you say he gets paid to make reviews makes me wonder which review is more truthful , I do like the gtr's and the idea of it although I think I'd have to keep the supra as well if I had to have one,at the moment though the more people leave more singles are broken it might make mine that little bit rarer.

I think the Clarkson view is a bit silly, in one video he saying how mental the car is and then another boring.

Watch this video and I have to agree on the part where the guy says...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENIo_RnFp_g

Edited by Abz (see edit history)

Ok...lamans terms...SUPRA MKIV-12 TO 18 Year old japanese muscle car..originally a tourer that just happened to be something a little bit special..straight 6,massively over engineered twin turbo. No fancy gimmics..proper engine proper car..

GTR-Nothing like the previous skyline...its a technological statement..a supercomputer on wheels...that puts more of the driving into the car as apposed to driver itself...a whole lot of car for the money. ( just a shame the lf-a wasnt in the same price range)

so..in a nutshell...the GTR is a newer..faster..more refired and a technolgically superiour car to the supra...BUT ;) You know whats great??!....the worlds fastest supra is STILL quicker than the world fastest GTR...Thats why we love the old under dog ;)

Edited by ADZsupra (see edit history)

Most of us would have a GTR if we could afford them.

In 5 years when they are averaged priced and joe public can buy one there will be something else out far superior to the GTR.

Unlikely - with fuel prices the way they are - I would be surprised if a non German manufacturer mass produced a car similar to the GTR again.

- - - Updated - - -

The only GTR I like is jurgens I can not get myself around how ugly they look from the front.

His car in White does look really nice.

I had high hopes for it, unfortunately it's possibly even uglier than a GTR. :( Sad times, I loved the original, still do! I will have one one day.

I've seen some rather more recent pics and I think it's a stunner. Can't show you them unfortunately. I'm convinced it's going to drive incredibly well though.