The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra or GT-R

Guest DNate

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, GT-R does the ring in low 7 mins and you think a £250 MX5 handles better :D

Lol, GT-R does your ring in 7 minutes :D

Yes SherlockP, your deductive powers have indeed triumphed over me, by discovering the true meaning of my words. I, who has both worked a fair bit in motorsport and done a bit of racing myself, believe that a 14 year old, £250 MX5, handles better than a GTR…. You got me! :)

If you're quoting lap times, what does a GTR go round brands hatch indy circuit in? Just to get some 'perspective'. Is it 52-53 seconds or so, could be totally wrong there, anyone know? Fastest time for an MX5 MK1 is around the 55 mark. Now i'm not dissing the GT-R, it's a technical marvel and I am a fan, like I said i'd likely have one as a daily I had that sort of money. Is it really worth the extra £35,750 quid to go 2 seconds faster, and is it really, really more fun? Don't even go there with straight line speed, that gets boring, bends do not.

I've driven some pretty weird and wonderful stuff in my short years. The point I was making was that the car you will have the most fun in, is the small sh*t box that cost you pennies. So you are therefore able to drive it properly, without the worry! Someone said earlier that the guy was probably worried about smacking his 40 grand car into a kerb and so most likely didn't try, there is going to be a lot of truth in this. I'm worried about my 20 year old toyota when I use it, you GTR guys must be sh*tting a brick!

Anyway, I wasn't having a dig at the GTR, but apparently I set off the fanboy alarm! In the words of duncan bannatyne, "I'm out!" :D

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)

I i had a blast in my old mr2 which was under a grand and by the end pretty tattty

The gtr-r seems a good all rounder when you want it to be, with its looks, power, handling and refinements.....the cheapy sports (mx5, mr2 etc) cars are usually just all out bonkers fun without a care in the world!!

I can't believe this thread has moved onto an MX5. I totally agree with all the comments on it, but this thread is about two super cars. The difference is, GTRs and supras are serious fun, and the MX5 is fun fun.

Depends on your preference and funds.

In an ideal world, you would have both a super car and an MX5.

lots of typing went here

I agree with the sentiment of your post... as I was slaughtered at the Nurburgring by some guy in an MX5 (stripped out and track prepped) because like you said, I was worried driving around, and he couldnt give a monkeys, and no doubt after he finished the lap he had the bigger smile on his face! But even so, it wouldn't make me go and buy an MX5 over a Supra. I guess if they're after an all-rounder, drag/track/daily driver a GTR is a great buy.

I wonder how quick the GTR would seem if you stuck a properly fast car up against it on track.

That's the thing - I could never in a million years put my money into a GTR. If you want a road car, there are far better cars out there for mileage on UK roads... especially for the amount on money you'll spend over three years. If you want a track car, there are quicker, more rewarding and more impressive cars out there for less money. It falls into the void for me - a car I simply couldn't consider. But what do I know? :)

I wonder how quick the GTR would seem if you stuck a properly fast car up against it on track.

That's the thing - I could never in a million years put my money into a GTR. If you want a road car, there are far better cars out there for mileage on UK roads... especially for the amount on money you'll spend over three years. If you want a track car, there are quicker, more rewarding and more impressive cars out there for less money. It falls into the void for me - a car I simply couldn't consider. But what do I know? :)

More than me - but I've got an itch to scratch :D

So next question MX5 or GTR? :D

At a price of £250, its less than 1 tyre for the GTR, so the answer would be BOTH :) and I am tempted by an MX5 purely for the reason that I wouldnt care if I crashed it (and walked away) but I would rather put the £250 into the GTR :D

Interesting point of view, mine is that it does all of those things well and thats what it has going for it. What do you consider a properly fast car?

630bhp Porsche:

[video=youtube;CZFsPB-rJCM]

NSX-R (must admit, I do like the sound of the NSX) - be sure to watch all 3 pieces of the video:

And for the NSX fans, a rather nice build over on GTROC:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/134200-my-nsx-trackday-project.html

Edited by grahamc (see edit history)

Guest Nicholas

Just watching the GTR reviews from top gear on dave right now :) it's an incredible car and if I could only have one fun and commute car I'd choose a GTR, i'm lucky enough to have 2 cars though hence the supra :)

I've had an odd day today re: this thread.

Weniain a day out with the OH to Windemere (quite a substantial drive I might add, over 6 hours in the car!)

Just by coincidence I saw a Supra, a GTR and an NSX at various points.

The first one I saw was the Supra, which was stock silver one. It looked very old and tired, with very Yellow headlights.

The second was the NSX, which was parked up in a tandem row of cars. It was stock and bright red, and looked immaculate and amazing! It was parked in front of a Xsara Picasso, and was literally half it's height!

Finally I saw a black GTR, parked in the centre of Bowness. It wasn't particularly clean, but looked exotic compared to the mundane cars parked around it. It was receiving plenty of attention, and rightly so - in an age where cars seem to look more similar to one another, the GTR sticks out, in a very good way. It does so without looking pretentious, something it's modern competition can't boast.

I think each were quite representative of their respective marque. We have many amazing Supras on here, but often the ones I see around look old and tired, often exaggerated by an old bodykit with plenty of scars. I would go as far as to say I doubt there are many nice ones in the UK that aren't owned by forum owners.

The NSX is a pure enthusiasts car. There are relatively few bad examples around, as the car is both rare and expensive. Very little this side of a hypercar looks as extreme in the flesh.

But it was the GTR that stood out for me, as although they are big and reasonably ostentatious, they are infact fairly low key and cool *for what they are*. It manages this while still having an air of exotic around it - quite a feat.

Id love a GTR but Im not in that earning bracket to have that amount of spare cash to keep it on the road and serviced. They have plenty of road pressence and even though they arent the prettiest of things to cast your mince pies over they still draw the looks.

Good luck to all our members selling up and moving forward onto these great technical machines. Looking forward to all your updates.

I've had an odd day today re: this thread.

Weniain a day out with the OH to Windemere (quite a substantial drive I might add, over 6 hours in the car!)

Just by coincidence I saw a Supra, a GTR and an NSX at various points.

The first one I saw was the Supra, which was stock silver one. It looked very old and tired, with very Yellow headlights.

The second was the NSX, which was parked up in a tandem row of cars. It was stock and bright red, and looked immaculate and amazing! It was parked in front of a Xsara Picasso, and was literally half it's height!

Finally I saw a black GTR, parked in the centre of Bowness. It wasn't particularly clean, but looked exotic compared to the mundane cars parked around it. It was receiving plenty of attention, and rightly so - in an age where cars seem to look more similar to one another, the GTR sticks out, in a very good way. It does so without looking pretentious, something it's modern competition can't boast.

I think each were quite representative of their respective marque. We have many amazing Supras on here, but often the ones I see around look old and tired, often exaggerated by an old bodykit with plenty of scars. I would go as far as to say I doubt there are many nice ones in the UK that aren't owned by forum owners.

The NSX is a pure enthusiasts car. There are relatively few bad examples around, as the car is both rare and expensive. Very little this side of a hypercar looks as extreme in the flesh.

But it was the GTR that stood out for me, as although they are big and reasonably ostentatious, they are infact fairly low key and cool *for what they are*. It manages this while still having an air of exotic around it - quite a feat.

But as you said, you compared a tired old Supra to a virtually new GTR (even if it was dirty).

If you saw a top notch Supra compared to a beaten up GTR you may change your mind again... anyway... this is all b*ll*cks really, they are both wicked cars... some prefer the look of this one but the performance of that one... it's nice to have the choice!!! (-: