The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra or GT-R

Guest DNate

I've had an odd day today re: this thread.

Weniain a day out with the OH to Windemere (quite a substantial drive I might add, over 6 hours in the car!)

Just by coincidence I saw a Supra, a GTR and an NSX at various points.

The first one I saw was the Supra, which was stock silver one. It looked very old and tired, with very Yellow headlights.

The second was the NSX, which was parked up in a tandem row of cars. It was stock and bright red, and looked immaculate and amazing! It was parked in front of a Xsara Picasso, and was literally half it's height!

Finally I saw a black GTR, parked in the centre of Bowness. It wasn't particularly clean, but looked exotic compared to the mundane cars parked around it. It was receiving plenty of attention, and rightly so - in an age where cars seem to look more similar to one another, the GTR sticks out, in a very good way. It does so without looking pretentious, something it's modern competition can't boast.

I think each were quite representative of their respective marque. We have many amazing Supras on here, but often the ones I see around look old and tired, often exaggerated by an old bodykit with plenty of scars. I would go as far as to say I doubt there are many nice ones in the UK that aren't owned by forum owners.

The NSX is a pure enthusiasts car. There are relatively few bad examples around, as the car is both rare and expensive. Very little this side of a hypercar looks as extreme in the flesh.

But it was the GTR that stood out for me, as although they are big and reasonably ostentatious, they are infact fairly low key and cool *for what they are*. It manages this while still having an air of exotic around it - quite a feat.

How do you manage to see all that in one day? I have seen 2 NSXs, 1 at KnightRacer and 1 on the M25 a few weeks ago... Only ever seen 1 R34 on the road.

Nice write-up and it is a shame that so few "good" supras remain, too many look tired and like they have lived a hard life.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you manage to see all that in one day?

I think it was due to the sheer amount of cars in the Lake District yesterday! :D

GTR I'm not that suprised to see, they're certainly not common but there's a few about. Quite a few Supras around this neck of the woods, but the NSX was certainly a surprise. But there always tends to be a lot of enthusiast cars there, guess its a combination of the fantastic roads, great backdrops and the local car museum.

GTR's are awesome car's but it's still a different kettle of fish compared to a Supra.

A modified GTR is quite a way off achieving what modified Supra's achieve.

Most people change as its a sensible car that can be used for tedious every day drives and be fun when it needs to be.

To match a stock GTR's pace you need a single Supra. A single supra is never going to be a sensible car to drive so I can understand why so many change.

But to say the GTR's are taking over isn't fair, as both cars have completely different uses.

I would get one if I ever sell my car, but not to modify crazily but just keep as a nice 700hp daily car.

I'm sure with time though, the GTR will become more reliable when heavily modified and a little more economical to modify as well.

My ideal scenario would be a GTR daily and the Supra for the fun convoys on the weekend ;)

Lets all remember guys that the supra has been out since 1993 so in all fairness i think its doing pretty well for an old girl, Also it is possible to make this car handle are we not forgetting the blitz supra that went around the ring at 7min 49sec back 1998 i think if someone tried to do it again today with more modern tyres, suspension, brakes and power delivery they could shave a few more seconds of that time

Well, GTRs are very nice cars but v expensive to upgrade and really juicy on fuel. Here is why i Love my supra :) at the end there a race against a heavily modded 800bhp skyline. I beat him 5th gear from 140- LOL hope this helps you pick the supra, so much more fun than any skyline.

Well, GTRs are very nice cars but v expensive to upgrade and really juicy on fuel. Here is why i Love my supra :) at the end there a race against a heavily modded 800bhp skyline. I beat him 5th gear from 140- LOL hope this helps you pick the supra, so much more fun than any skyline.

Interesting.... but it doesn't show you pulling away, its just a photo of you in front? plus it looks like a GTR not a Skyline and it could be stock for all we know ;) :D

Running an R35 will seem cheap next to a big power R33! The running costs can be eye watering!

not really its only 680 hp, im on my second r32 gtr last one was 600 hp but gearbox couldnt cope but fancy a newer one aswell so getting a r33 with os giken box.

my daily is a 460 hp r32 gtr super reliable, r33 will be weekend toy and santa pod.

Running an R35 will seem cheap next to a big power R33! The running costs can be eye watering!

Completely agree my 700hp r34 GTR cost way more than my R35 does!

Love both although 4wd would get boring for me , love this video supra launch looks so much more fun than the gtr my nan could be driving case of lift the switch up and hold her foot on the brake

Funny that cause I find rwd boring as I cant corner as fast, but each to there own! Not sure your nan could take 1.3+ g my GTR was pulling round Cadwell cause I'm no where near an oap and my neck felt like it was going to snap! Never had that with the Supra!

If you look carefully when they put the camera down I ve already pulled away. There is a way to.find out since YOU have a gtr let's have a little race ;) LOL

As long as you can handle the disappointment :D I'll be doing a good few track days next year come along :)

Edited by rob wild (see edit history)

I honestly think you can't actualy compare a supra to a GTR as there just sooooooo different to each other.

I have spent some time around a GTR as my friend had one and there's one thing that would drive me mental, the GTR is auto no matter how you look at it.

I personally hate autos so a GTR is not for me for that reason alone