The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra or GT-R

Guest DNate

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again they are both amazing cars, I don't personally like the look of the GTR but then I do think the stock supra looks a little outdated now also but you can completely change the look of it for a few hundred quid.

Technically the GTR is a marvell and deserves every bit of it's praise and I would love to get one some day but funds dont allow at the moment. I think Paul Whiffin posted on facebook that he got a quote of £3200 or thereabouts for a new intercooler for the GTR, prices are just stupid for spares at the moment, but then thats pretty much the same as the supra was back in the day (and now for some bits). It takes a few companies to release aftermarket parts to make the investment a little easier on the pocket. Both cars have their good and bad points I am just happy there are a few menufacturers out there that still make fun cars and we are not all sat around driving 1 litre puntos. Apologies to any non supra / gtr punto owners out there.

Nope, I would rather have a new Fiesta. The GTR has to be one of the dullest looking performance cars to be produced in a long time.

That's a bit extreme! I'd wouldn't say it's as nice as a supra but it's bloody nice still! Even if I had lots of money I still wouldn't have ferraris or lambos, I'd have a GTR, supra and LFA jap all the way ;)

After wondering what all this GTR fuss was all about, I managed to get myself a drive in one.

The only way I can relate to is when I used to race motorcycles. On one hand, you had the Yamaha TZ750 (140hp two stroke, power band was like a light switch!), an absolute animal of a bike that insisted on trying to throw you off every time the throttle was touched. It had no manners, was very violent in everything it did and it took a real skill to ride (hold on to) the thing and make it to the finish line in one piece. A very challenging bike that required LOTS of skill to ride properly.

Then along came the Honda Fireblade. They were quicker, and much easier to ride, so much to the point that I found them boring. They did everything so well and were very predictable. This to me, feels like the R35. A great car, yes. Quicker than the Supra, yes. But the challenge of driving the R35 just isn't there as it does everything so well. I'd even go to the point of saying it makes really shit drivers look like Ayrton Senna!

For me, there is something about driving car that requires skill to keep it on the road. The Supra does just that, one wrong move and it's ditch time. The R35 wouldn't let you get near this situation in the first place. If it did, however, I'm sure the electrics would take over and the naughty boy light would illuminate. Fun? Not for me I'm afraid.

Just my 2p's worth.

After wondering what all this GTR fuss was all about, I managed to get myself a drive in one.

The only way I can relate to is when I used to race motorcycles. On one hand, you had the Yamaha TZ750 (140hp two stroke, power band was like a light switch!), an absolute animal of a bike that insisted on trying to throw you off every time the throttle was touched. It had no manners, was very violent in everything it did and it took a real skill to ride (hold on to) the thing and make it to the finish line in one piece. A very challenging bike that required LOTS of skill to ride properly.

Then along came the Honda Fireblade. They were quicker, and much easier to ride, so much to the point that I found them boring. They did everything so well and were very predictable. This to me, feels like the R35. A great car, yes. Quicker than the Supra, yes. But the challenge of driving the R35 just isn't there as it does everything so well. I'd even go to the point of saying it makes really $#@! drivers look like Ayrton Senna!

For me, there is something about driving car that requires skill to keep it on the road. The Supra does just that, one wrong move and it's ditch time. The R35 wouldn't let you get near this situation in the first place. If it did, however, I'm sure the electrics would take over and the naughty boy light would illuminate. Fun? Not for me I'm afraid.

Just my 2p's worth.

You´r right man ! I had one audi quattro v6 2.8 and i did understand the difference of driving skylls you need when you compare a Supra with a AWD car, :goodpost:

I have to agree with ugp...the GTR..is Technologically AMAZING..whilst the supra has soul..The old heavyweight that just wont retire...give it enough love n respect..not to mention a huge turbo..and Toyota's Tail happy torque monster can still pack a punch..even against a GTR.. BOOSTLOGIC and Sound performances Supras..are to date..killing GTR times in the states..

I reckon though in an ideal world..if money was no object..we'd have both these car in our garage..

just my opinion;)

I have to agree with ugp...the GTR..is Technologically AMAZING..whilst the supra has soul..The old heavyweight that just wont retire...give it enough love n respect..not to mention a huge turbo..and Toyota's Tail happy torque monster can still pack a punch..even against a GTR.. BOOSTLOGIC and Sound performances Supras..are to date..killing GTR times in the states..

I reckon though in an ideal world..if money was no object..we'd have both these car in our garage..

just my opinion;)

Have you driven a GTR?

Also, Supra has had 20 years of developments, GTR has had 3-4.