The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra or GT-R

Guest DNate

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id prefer an xkr s. personally

I prefer the stock XKR, but only because I don't like the 's' bodykit. The XKR has the GTR licked in every way except outright performance.

My main gripe with the GTR is its engine, it seems so dull in comparison to other cars mentioned on this thread. The great shame is that it's predecessor (the RB26) was full of charachter and was probably the nicest sounding i6 engine of all.

The XKR sounds like pure evil in comparison. Even with the stock exhaust system, it lets out an epic growl on startup. On WOT it sounds nothing short of amazing.

I would 100% stick to a Supra. But depends on your individual taste, i like my curves in the supra. As mentioned in previous pages if tuned correctly and you have the money, i say the supra because you can create a dream machine rather than another stock car.

Guest Rays the roof

Both!

Test drove S5 as A5 is up for renewal next March. But was dissapointed. So for the extra couple of hundred a month, going for a GTR. BUT, can't get rid of the Supra and so dilema will be which to drive on a hot Summer's day! ;)

I prefer the stock XKR, but only because I don't like the 's' bodykit. The XKR has the GTR licked in every way except outright performance.

My main gripe with the GTR is its engine, it seems so dull in comparison to other cars mentioned on this thread. The great shame is that it's predecessor (the RB26) was full of charachter and was probably the nicest sounding i6 engine of all.

The XKR sounds like pure evil in comparison. Even with the stock exhaust system, it lets out an epic growl on startup. On WOT it sounds nothing short of amazing.

How on earth is a V6 3.8l that produces 500(ish)bhp standard and easily tunable to 600-750bhp "dull"? Do you mean the sound? A simple ypipe fixes that... and thats not even mentioning the downpipes and the rear section of the exhaust to liven it up.

I have owned both and IMO (and for me) the GTR is best all-rounder. You can go for a casual drive to the shops, fast drive down some country lanes or to the track and mix it with the best of the cars there - all at the flip of a few switches. The supra was fun, but then there were days where you just felt like a nice calm drive and it would have none of it and the tail would be out because of no other reason than it felt like it.

I think its daft people making a opinion if they aint owned or atleast drove both! I would say i prefer the looks of a supra BUT im guessing by the way the r35 moves up the drag strip (stock) i would take the R35 as a future replacement and not bother tuning a supra to such a high £££££££ standard, which can then be unreliable.

Guys listen to who have driven both and can give positives and negatives

...The supra was fun, but then there were days where you just felt like a nice calm drive and it would have none of it and the tail would be out because of no other reason than it felt like it.

Really? Think you might have had an issue with your Geo then! :D

Both of mine have never done that unless I was either driving too quickly or did it on purpose. The first Supra I was a bit all over the place but was sorted with a proper geo setup.

The GTR I agree sounds amazing & again no way it is a dull engine! Just listen to the video Jamie posted of that chap in London who drifted out of a side road!!

Really? Think you might have had an issue with your Geo then! :D

Both of mine have never done that unless I was either driving too quickly or did it on purpose. The first Supra I was a bit all over the place but was sorted with a proper geo setup.

The GTR I agree sounds amazing & again no way it is a dull engine! Just listen to the video Jamie posted of that chap in London who drifted out of a side road!!

Mild moist road :) evening, driving home from work, car still cold backend stepped out in a major way - last thing I felt like at that point in my day.

The GTR is what I want it to be, when I want it... I would with complete confidence hand my mom the keys to the GTR for her to go for a drive by herself.

Im waiting till I get home, no sound in the office!! Will take my GoPro to the mapping session on Tuesday :)

How on earth is a V6 3.8l that produces 500(ish)bhp standard and easily tunable to 600-750bhp "dull"? Do you mean the sound? A simple ypipe fixes that... and thats not even mentioning the downpipes and the rear section of the exhaust to liven it up.

Even with an exhaust they sound dull *compared to the other cars mentioned in this thread*.

If I fancied a forced induction V6, there would only be one choice in my mind: a Turbocharged NSX. They can sound akin to an F1 car, have much better residuals than the GTR and have far more charachter. I realise that charachter can be interpreted in various ways, but if anyone can enlighten me as to what charachter the GTR has then I'm all ears.

I was very tempted to buy one a few years ago, but the horror stories that were emerging about parts prices put me off. It also failed to excite me, and surely that's the whole point in these cars?

Even with an exhaust they sound dull *compared to the other cars mentioned in this thread*.

If I fancied a forced induction V6, there would only be one choice in my mind: a Turbocharged NSX. They can sound akin to an F1 car, have much better residuals than the GTR and have far more charachter. I realise that charachter can be interpreted in various ways, but if anyone can enlighten me as to what charachter the GTR has then I'm all ears.

I was very tempted to buy one a few years ago, but the horror stories that were emerging about parts prices put me off. It also failed to excite me, and surely that's the whole point in these cars?

I couldn't agree with you more there.

Also the comment about 600hp supra vs 600hp gtr, how long can the GTR withstand 600hp? From what I've heard and read, the GTR's go bang, didn't Jurgen's on the stock engine?

Although I love the look of the GTR, and no doubt they are quick, I couldn't justify spending that amount of money on a toy, especially given the prices of parts for them still.

They do sound dull though, reminds me of the chav down my street with an FTO attached to a drain pipe.