The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I trial fitted the Whiffsh!t pulley to find that it rotated on the wonk by 3 or 4mm, so put it on the press to remove the clunky bearing, I thought it was not going to come out, but right at the 20 tonne limit of the press BANG and out it came.

The bearing had been pressed in over a chunk of swarf which had forced it to seat on the wonk.

Once out the bearing ran fine, but I had one at hand so changed it anyway and then it took another 20 tonnes to get it back in there.

At the advice of CDF I had the new top idler pulley anodised and it has turned up a delicate dog turd brown, I will have the face skimmed over back to shiny alloy and a few more holes drilled into it after more important things are sorted.

The supercharger pulley has been swapped for the 4" (1 bar) wheel.

The larger steel idler is now on the electric water-pump, I will change the locking screws for neater grub screws after the more important stuff is sorted.

A final alignment adjustment to the supercharger bracket and a test fit of the belt.

The 1037 goes on with the tensioner arm just short of it's maximum throw, after it's initial stretching in it should be spot on. :)

For the first time all the pulleys are on, the larger idlers have increased the belt wrap on the supercharger pulley and at long-last, the drive-train is looking like it 'means business'. :)

I am getting close now, but too busy to get exited.

attachment.php?attachmentid=155067&d=1342990570

attachment.php?attachmentid=155074&d=1342992389

pulleys 003.JPG

pulleys 004.JPG

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Thank you for the kind words, we'll soon find out if I deserve them.

The Supra will have to be taken on a trailer, yet unfortunately, my pal Bob has to deliver a Shogun to somewhere in Wales on Wednesday, so the car will have to be transported on Tuesday evening.

I will go with it and kip in it, there's no other way it can happen. :shrug:

The job will start first thing on Wednesday and finish when it is finished.

Today I have been busy-busy doing many when I get a round toit jobs and preparing the supercharger and charge-cooler for a plug&play fit.

The bonnet is not done, so it will be a Mad-Max for a day or three.

Try as I might, I cannot get the HHO system up to speed, it should produce 6 lpm, but I can't get enough gas out of it to bring it into the equation.

I think it's just a case of setting up the box of tricks correctly, but I have never received instructions how to do this and it appears that the company who made it is not literate enough to describe how to.

I have run out of tinkering time, so will have it set up with the water/meth system and will need to go back for a tweaking session once the HHO is doing what it say's on the tin.

With engine and transmission oil coolers on one side and active spoiler, 4" induction, 4 HID ballasts and charge-cooler pipework the other, I have been running without the shipping eyes for some time.

I thought it a prudent to do something about this, just in case it won't start and drive, so I have given one of the shipping eyes a good pruning to fit under the ballasts and around the charge-cooler hoses.

Which is the only thing I have done worth a pic.

attachment.php?attachmentid=155096&d=1343074174

attachment.php?attachmentid=155097&d=1343074174

tow 001.JPG

tow 002.JPG

It's on. :)

I didn't have time to prettify the job, not even time to clean the air filter and I almost blacked out a couple of times working in direct sunshine, silly silly hot.

It fired up fine and I drove it up onto the trailer.

I am now in Dan's yard tinkering under the security lights.

The charge-cooler pump is not working, but I think to be a simple fix in the daylight.

I have made a vid but the connection and my battery life may not be up to it. :shrug:

Before

attachment.php?attachmentid=155153&d=1343165043

After

attachment.php?attachmentid=155154&d=1343165043

it's on 001.JPG

it's on 005.jpg

It was more unconsciousness than sleep, I have had heat-stroke for two consecutive days and consequently, today I'm not much use to man nor beast.

On the positive side, my dicky back is not too bad, maybe it's finally realised I don't listen to it's nagging.

A bucketful of coffee and a bacon sarni or three would be champion, but neither of those here. :(