The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

First I must fit locking Aerocatches, because the latch loops have been cut off. (Maybe also remake the latch loops?)

Then repair a couple of threadless holes for the hinge mounting bolts.

Then cut out the louvres and top-off the resulting hole to form the bulge.

Then decide whether to lose the front air vent, or not? (It's positioned perfectly to feed air to the induction, but looks tacky.)

Then it will live in grey primer for a while until the mechanical tinkering is done and dusted.

Then decide whether to lose the Bomex and go spoilerless at the rear?

Then a complete respray in Aston Martin California Sage metallic.

Then it'll then look the muts danglies. :)

But don't hold your breath. ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=157182&d=1346705988

attachment.php?attachmentid=157184&d=1346712877

chargespeed 004.JPG

aston sage 2.jpg

Edited by David P (see edit history)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting there now, it certainly is an ugly duckling bonnet at the moment :) I reckon lose the little vent at the edge, and for the big vents as you say cover them up with a flat piece on top but after that would cutting a letterbox style hole slit at the start of the bulge be a good idea to get some extra cooling in or cause grief with road crap hitting the important bits? Could always fashion a grille there.

Getting there now, it certainly is an ugly duckling bonnet at the moment :) I reckon lose the little vent at the edge, and for the big vents as you say cover them up with a flat piece on top but after that would cutting a letterbox style hole slit at the start of the bulge be a good idea to get some extra cooling in or cause grief with road crap hitting the important bits? Could always fashion a grille there.

Bonnet vents and polished aluminium don't like each other, the 2 small ones at the back can stay.

Nice colour choice for the respray. All looking good.

I think so and hope so too.

I vote keep the front vent, function over form ! And those rear vents will definitely keep temps down.

I have vents in my bonnet and the heat haze coming from the vents even after a short drive surprises me.

There's a 4" rammed feed from the bottom vent to the air box and also the OE under headlamp air duct, with those I already have function so there's no reason not to have form too.

The rear bonnet vents and wing vents should let enough heat out.

Function over form. Unless ur looking to cruuse for chicks

If my priority was to cruise for chicks, I would get myself another Hi-lux. :think:

I ran those for 25 years, turbo'd and charge-cooled with 12J wheels and trick diffs of course.

Maybe it was a fetish to do it up a mountain, or in the middle of a ploughed field, or on Blackpool beach in December, etc.

I never bothered to ask because I was too busy. :sex:

Back to business, I have gone with the flow and chosen to use the existing holes in bonnet, that with leeway match up with another in the front panel which was for the bonnet alarm pin and one AeroCatch is fitted.

Those things are things you learn the hard way that you only want to fit once. :think:

Then a complete respray in Aston Martin Desert Sage metallic.

Then it'll then look the muts danglies. :)

But don't hold your breath. ;)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=157182&d=1346705988

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=157184&d=1346712877

That was my idea! :(

The colour is called 'California Sage' though.

That was my idea! :(

The colour is called 'California Sage' though.

Does that mean you will be suing for damages? :think:

I have edited "Desert" to "California". :innocent:

Excuse my confuddlement, Lexus has a similar colour called Desert Sage and I was undecided between the two until I found this pic of a Supra wearing it,

which made up my mind to go California instead of the Desert. :shrug:

attachment.php?attachmentid=157263&d=1346864404

P.S.

Both AeroCatches now fitted. :)

calfornia sage supra.jpg

The MkII rocker-cover is leaking, it will have to do for now but I need to find a solution for this.

It's a waste of time modifying another old cover, a new one should be easier to weld but would crack on the top as it cooled just the same.

Noz,

This could be your finest hour. :)

Could you laser-scan one and then set a machine about a hunk of aluminium, or make a mould and cast one, or a better idea even?

attachment.php?attachmentid=157318&d=1346961853

buterflys 037.JPG

If you clean it in trich and then put a thin film of RTV over the area that;s leaking it will probably fix it David, obviously the layer is put on the INSIDE of the cover, although it MIGHT work on the outside. Welding used castings that have contained hot oil is nearly always a disaster, like welding carbonised cracks in tubular turbo manifolds. Good luck with it, getting there again now :)

3 wheels on my wagon is about where it's at, there's a lot to be done to be ready for the 13th.

I'm not sure if I could get the epoxy metal off the inside, during the build I will see what I can do.

I might have an outside chance of beating Noz to it again, it looks as though Mr T. may have already made me a pair? :think:

attachment.php?attachmentid=157319&d=1346969281

2jz_fse.jpg

It's been awhile since I've read the thread David and I must say its come on leaps and bounds. Now fully fabricated many of the parts look virtually OEM.

The last photo with the completed under bonnet looks amazing.

Glad the bonnet is going to be tonned down as it will detract from the sleeper look of the stock car. Keep the rear spoiler, a Supra isn't a Supra without the spoiler. Loud and proud with the spoiler is the way forward.

3 wheels on my wagon is about where it's at, there's a lot to be done to be ready for the 13th.

I'm not sure if I could get the epoxy metal off the inside, during the build I will see what I can do.

I might have an outside chance of beating Noz to it again, it looks as though Mr T. may have already made me a pair? :think:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=157319&d=1346969281

jesus that looks a mess lol a skillful mess tho ;)

We have a really good aluminium company here. They do us all sorts of work, I'm sure a bit of private work could be done. The best way for me to get anything done, would be to design what's required, and then decide if machining or welding is needed.

THOUGH like you said, Mr T beat me to it again. I need to get involved in this custom project somewhere!! I want to feel needed :D lol and what better project than the custom-engine setup, the fabrication kingdom of your bay!

jesus that looks a mess lol a skillful mess tho ;)

Excuse any confuddlement, the latest bay pic is of a 2JZ-FSE D-4 engine, made by Mr T. himself.

I posted it because it looks as if the rocker covers are of a design that could maybe fit under my charge-cooler.

If they fit I would need a pair because the filler cap is on the other side.

It'll be fun finding a used pair of those! :think:

We have a really good aluminium company here. They do us all sorts of work, I'm sure a bit of private work could be done. The best way for me to get anything done, would be to design what's required, and then decide if machining or welding is needed.

THOUGH like you said, Mr T beat me to it again. I need to get involved in this custom project somewhere!! I want to feel needed :D lol and what better project than the custom-engine setup, the fabrication kingdom of your bay!

Excuse me Noz, each time I think I may have been beaten, I just mention your name and inspiration comes flooding in. :innocent:

The Suprastick arrived this afternoon, that's the last of the pieces required for the rebuild. :)

The package was clearly labelled "Returned Goods", however, this was ignored by Her Majesty's Revenue who have blackmailed me £77.74 or never see it again!

Should one of the many visitors to this thread be Her Majesty, I hope she's proud that her name is used to front the Governments, Robin Hood's alter-ego Office.

It's been awhile since I've read the thread David and I must say its come on leaps and bounds. Now fully fabricated many of the parts look virtually OEM.

The last photo with the completed under bonnet looks amazing.

Glad the bonnet is going to be tonned down as it will detract from the sleeper look of the stock car. Keep the rear spoiler, a Supra isn't a Supra without the spoiler. Loud and proud with the spoiler is the way forward.

I really like the Bomex wing, yet not sure of the combination?

Once the bonnet metamorphosis has reached the primer phase, I will run it without the spoiler for a while and see which option scratches the itch.

Today the replacement Suprastick went in. :yahoo:

My laptop won't talk to the Suprastick, :( but I know a man who has one that can. :)

The job of setting it up was a little more complicated than it should have been, because the unit had a couple of malfunctions, yet other than over-rev change-down protection, we got it doing what it said on the tin. :)

The highlight of our responsible irresponsibility went something like this;

Steve is in the zone, :think: somewhere in-between the opening scene of The Matrix and Ryan on a bad day. ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=157535&d=1347226842

Steve:

"That's first to second @ WOT, set and saved".

attachment.php?attachmentid=157536&d=1347226842

Steve:

"Second to third @ WOT should be at 77mph at around 6,500rpm".

Winding the over-geared girl up down :think: the 'B' road, I could see the target Leptons would coincide with a sweeping blind right after the long divot in front of us, with a Korean eco box ambling around the bend towards us, not particularly on his own side of the road.

Not wanting to waste the last stretch of the road we had to play with, I stuck with plan 'A'. :)

Me:

"I'm watching where were going".

Steve:

Looks up and say's,

"I'm glad you are".

attachment.php?attachmentid=157537&d=1347226842

The Supra slipped through the gap and the sweeping divot right bend had a nice steady camber in our favour and second to third leptons was elegantly achieved.

Steve:

"That was 77mph @ 6,550rpm, saved, third to fourth should be at 123mph".

attachment.php?attachmentid=157538&d=1347226842

Me:

I think we'll go back to yours and have a cup of tea. :)

Thank you very much Steve for your help and sharing some petrol-head amuzement. :thumbs:

SSS 001.JPG

SSS 004.JPG

SSS 005.JPG

SSS 008.JPG