The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Noz, I have the cover I took off which I'll try, yet I fear I may need to buy a brand spanker to be clean enough metal to be welded?

I am researching ICV's used for supercharger installations and hunting the most 'Macho' version of the options.

When I have found what I seek, it would be a help if you could fabricate a custom sized fine-mesh Tetley tea-strainer in 304 grade stainless. :)

Edited by David P (see edit history)

I use 316 grade stainless. It's better corrosion and has less chance of pitting. It's also a better grade for welding, an all round better grade.

I would of thought some sort of tube with a ridge inside allowing to mount a cover of some sorts would be perfect? keep me posted.

Regarding the cam cover, the cost of time to sand it and clean it enough for a good weld would be alot cheaper than the difference of a new one I would of thought?

316 sounds good to me, I will let you know exactly what I need as soon as I know what that is. :think:

The cam-cover was a bad one from birth, it's weeping oil through in many places, polishing it has broken the skin and it's weeping through the poor casting that's like a 'Wispa Bar' with the skin rubbed off.

I haven't had a chance to look at the other one as I've been busy with more important things.

I paid no attention to the charger today, just got on with a few more important jobs, in-between the showers.

The Suprastick is out and the Hybrid transmission is being controlled by the N/A auto ECU.

Since I made the Suprastick plug&play, it's now also easier to hot-wire the stock system back into play. :shrug:

attachment.php?attachmentid=155326&d=1343584169

I have rigged the brake-servo vacuum so it's plug&play for either set up. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=155328&d=1343584169

By replacing the stock clips with Jubilee's I have gained 3mm or more, that will do nicely.

attachment.php?attachmentid=155325&d=1343584169

attachment.php?attachmentid=155327&d=1343584169

I'll go and cross those off the list. :)

The swirl-pot is dismantled and prepared for welding into it's new configuration too.

attachment.php?attachmentid=155341&d=1343586135

attachment.php?attachmentid=155342&d=1343586135

It feels good to get a few of these little jobs off the list, making it a better fit and an easier conversion next time.

heater hoses 002.JPG

rebuild 1 001.JPG

rebuild 1 005.JPG

rebuild 1 006.JPG

rebuild 1 010.JPG

rebuild 1 008.JPG

Thank you for the offer, the one that came off was a better casting, but I've been busy getting N/A'd again and haven't got around to looking at it.

I'll have a good look at it and steam it down first chance I get.

You've reminded me that it could be welded at the same time as the swirl-pot.

I'll report back. :salute:

I have blanked with enquiries to Bosch U.K. re. specification of the Idle Control Valves they manufacture, not a single person in their Technical Dept had knowledge beyond a part no. :think:

Searching for information on Mercedes Kompressor engines idle control, any links to this information would be appreciated.

Here's a pic of the Beefyist-looking option found so far.

icv merc.jpg

I was told off :blush: for fitting re-sized injectors, so I am on the look-out for 550 or 560cc top-feed high-impedance for a drop-in N/A fit.

Any leads to a set at the right price appreciated.

I have re-mounted the charge-cooler pump in a non air-lock position, it had to go in a busy place next to the tow hook and it just fits behind the mud-guard.

The Renault exhaust bobbins were shot, so I couldn't see the point replacing them and there wasn't space anyway, so it has a foam pad behind and is located with 3 strong cable ties.

attachment.php?attachmentid=155614&d=1343932004

I have pruned the ears off of the recirculation tail, shortened it and reduced the external diameter, this will allow the hose to be slid back during installation and make the job easier.

attachment.php?attachmentid=155615&d=1343932004

attachment.php?attachmentid=155616&d=1343932004

The cam cover is cut and the new pieces are prepared, this is now soaking in a can of petrol and will give it a good steam clean next time.

attachment.php?attachmentid=155617&d=1343932004

The supercharger pulley appears to have survived, all of the bend is in the shaft of the M112.

rebuild 3 002.JPG

rebuild 3 004.JPG

rebuild 3 005.JPG

rebuild 3 007.JPG

Of all the components that could have failed, it wasn't mine, but one of Mr. T's.

Now it has all been on for real I now know all the little pitfalls with the installation, so whilst it's off I am engineering out the fiddly bits.

With these final adjustments I should be able to fit it in a couple of hours and any maintenance will be a lot easier too.

This contraption will work.

My focus has been on getting the car reliably mobile and today was the first chance to tinker with supercharging components.

Here's a pic of the job, first I want to have a look at what's about, maybe there's a stainless steel mesh ball that would fit, if not I will post you the elbow for your attention.

attachment.php?attachmentid=155622&d=1343934217

rebuild 3 008.JPG

On my way to the workshop I called into Corby Hose & Hydraulic and unearthed this likely-looking stainless-steel screen water-filter with a nylon fitting. :think:

attachment.php?attachmentid=155670&d=1344013303

It's welded construction and tough as old boots, it even looks to be a likely size too.

:think: Hold still Linda.

attachment.php?attachmentid=155663&d=1344013043

There was a hole-cutter that just happened to have the same I.D. size as the filter.

attachment.php?attachmentid=155665&d=1344013043

Reamed to bottom, gave 7mm of squeaky-fit overlap on the slimmer post. :slap:

attachment.php?attachmentid=155664&d=1344013043

Cut to give 7mm post-overlap with nylon shoulder resting on machined surface.

attachment.php?attachmentid=155666&d=1344013043

Before replacing the O-ring, using a sander levelled the nylon down to the face of casting.

attachment.php?attachmentid=155667&d=1344013043

Using the dead ICV as a pattern, from a piece of scrap aluminium cut and drilled a cover-plate.

attachment.php?attachmentid=155669&d=1344013080

Jack the Rabbit and Bob's you're Uncle, for 2 Quid the Job was Bobbed in an hour. :think:

Sorry Noz, it just happened. :shrug:

The Portcullis is closed. :salute:

The Hole of Doom is now the Cage of Hell and the installation won't ever be wiped-out by an errant ICV again. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=155668&d=1344013080

rebuild 4 002.JPG

rebuild 4 008.JPG

rebuild 4 005.JPG

rebuild 4 010.JPG

rebuild 4 012.JPG

rebuild 4 017.JPG

rebuild 4 022.JPG

rebuild 4 003.JPG

Sorry Noz, it just happened. :shrug:

^^ Heard this so many times in my life lol

Im pleased it's been a success buddy, though I would love to have taken part in producing custom bits to help out, I'm just glad it's another thing of the list for you.

Noz,

I know you're itching to contribute, thank you.

A suitable donor component was easily found for £2 and I was lucky to have the right tools and things to hand, it's nice when a job goes as sweetly as that one.

I will go and cross it off the list.

The replacement charger turned up today, will collect it tomorrow and see what I have bought.

On my way to the workshop I called into Corby Hose & Hydraulic and unearthed this likely-looking stainless-steel screen water filter with a nylon fitting at one end. :think:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=155670&d=1344013303

It's welded together, tough as old boots and it looks to be a likely size too.

"I was working in the lab, late one night, when my eyes beheld an eery sight........

For my monster from his slab began to rise - and suddenly, to my surprise, he did the mesh - the monster mesh!"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Mash

http://www.brownielocks.com/monstermash.html

Edited by Morpheus
Linked to lyric and song! (see edit history)

There's a used set of injectors on ebay, but the asking price is around same as new before import.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140774659359?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2378wt_1037

What should I offer on them Chris?

If I am the Chris you are asking I wouldn't offer anything, I always say only buy new injectors. By the time you have had them cleaned and flow tested (I charge £12 each plus VAT) you are getting near to buying new. I am very happy to check them for you, but sometimes it pays to do the maths.