The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you know that the origin of this 'Roots' type of blower was to provide air to miners in America?

The original units were a bit bigger but with the same basic look and had two helical auger type compressor vanes instead of the more efficient and modern triple lobed design, requiring as they do, far more complex and accurate engineering as yet undeve'lobed' at the time.

Edited by Morpheus (see edit history)

I am up-to-speed with everything I can do, but being dicked about by Latent Solutions, Aluminium Welder and Engineer.

That's only every single other person that has a minor input to the project.

How do these people stay in business? :looney:

This week I will hound the Engineer and Welder to stop picking their noses for long enough to get the jobs jobbed, or retrieve the bits and go elsewhere.

I want the components ready to re-fit the charger before the end of the month, yet it's looking unlikely the replacement Suprastick will be here in time. :(

Edited by David P (see edit history)

The aluminium welding is off the list. :)

The swirl-pot alterations went well, but the cam-cover was just as difficult to weld as the first and one bead just wouldn't hold.

He gave it 3 goes on the outside and one on the inside, but each time it cracked as it cooled.

I will give it a good blathering with liquid metal on both sides, then fit it and see how it fares.

attachment.php?attachmentid=156536&d=1345489875

attachment.php?attachmentid=156537&d=1345489875

ali 005.JPG

ali 006.JPG

The Engineers who have had the supercharger for a week, informed me that it would be at least another two before they might get the job done. :looney:

They were sitting there doing nothing when I delivered it and were again sitting doing nothing today when I collected it. :think:

I have now taken it to the man who sorted the PAS pump which was a 60 mile round trip and will be another to collect, yet he has promised it for the weekend. :)

The resistors to build the pack for the injectors should have been here yesterday, but their still not here today, yet confident that they might turn up in the next day or two. :search:

That just leaves the Suprastick, which I'm very angry about.

30th July, Latent Solutions ordered sub-components especially for my unit, but then proceeded to build several for others leaving mine until last, to then find that one of the sub-components was faulty and have had to re-order. :looney:

After the weekend all of the components should be ready to go on for another spin, except the Suprastick.

Despite my best efforts to fit this job around peoples holidays, at the final hurdle :tomato: I have been thwarted by a honeymoon.

Dan is getting married and will be away for a couple of weeks, just in time for my job to be too late.

Pandering to holidays akimbo, would mean waiting until at least the middle of October, which I'm not willing to do.

Before the workshop is closed for a month, I will gather all the bits together and then do the job out in the field. :shrug:

I have to work outside anyway, so as long as there's gas in the soldering iron and no last minute emergency measures required, all should be well.

Tempting fate.............

Dyno-day has been arranged for Thursday 13th September.

I can't see much else that could fail, but no-one could the last time. :shrug:

The next weakest link could prove to be the stock head bolts, but I have another N/A lump in reserve so that would be no big issue.

This venture is a World First, which by default is a leap into the unknown that has now reached the final-development stages of death-or-glory destruction-testing.

Maybe we should have a sweepstake? :think:

The leaking again HHO generator has been rebuilt with low modulus silicone instead of Sticks like Sh*t, because it doesn't on plastics.

The resistors are mounted on an aluminium plate, but waiting for delivery of 7 core wire and plug/socket.

Still waiting for Engineer no. 2 to plane the bottom of supercharger.

Still waiting for the Suprastick.

Trailer lighting plug cable is your friend for the resistor pack. Just ordering some high wattage resistors myself. Converting a 3 phase HV power supply to single phase. Aiming for 5kV @ 1.8 Amps output, (40 amps plus drain off the mains).

Magnetron? 4cx10000?

David if you need any more bits like resistors, cable etc then give me a call before you order.

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

RF amplifier 3CX3000A7 Always wanted to build a fairly high power linear, sadly the PSU for this Henry RF generator (plasma generator) is 3 phase. I am going to see what the 3 phase transformer puts out if I parallel the two outer primary coils on single phase before deciding to have a single phase transformer built. Apparently someone in the US has done this, but I never believe much the Yank hams say ;) Their RF figures seem like their dyno figures.

The Old Dog has been taught his new trick, there are a few differences in the charger design, yet the body and fixings are same.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157036&d=1346438768

attachment.php?attachmentid=157037&d=1346438768

attachment.php?attachmentid=157038&d=1346438768

Built up with Bullet Proof ICV modification and ready to fit. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=157039&d=1346438768

The swirl pot modification and shortening up the hoses and tails allows pre fabrication to fit as a unit.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157040&d=1346438768

Ready to fit. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=157041&d=1346438786

I like this modular design, it should be easy enough to fit in a field. :think:

Mk 2 001.JPG

Mk 2 002.JPG

Mk 2 004.JPG

Mk 2 005.JPG

Mk 2 010.JPG

Mk 2 011.JPG

RF amplifier 3CX3000A7 Always wanted to build a fairly high power linear, sadly the PSU for this Henry RF generator (plasma generator) is 3 phase. I am going to see what the 3 phase transformer puts out if I parallel the two outer primary coils on single phase before deciding to have a single phase transformer built. Apparently someone in the US has done this, but I never believe much the Yank hams say ;) Their RF figures seem like their dyno figures.

Wasn't too far off the mark then :) with power requirements like that I suspected some eimac/svetlana action ahead. I ran a 4cx250b on 144 MHz for a while and used a modified transformer from a microwave oven for the plate supply. Wiped out lots of TV and modems in the area but was perfectly clean as confirmed by the RA following complaints, showed up all the emc issues with badly designed domestic gear. Anyhow we shouldn't tie up David's Supercharger thread with this, although I would love to see his creations if we could get him into RF design next:p

Now you tell me. :shrug:

Thank you anyway, :) I will give you a call for some electrickery info.

No probs, catch up with you at JAE if not before.

I've just found a used Chargespeed bonnet! :yahoo:

One of these will be a lot easier to work from, replace centre-vents with a flat-top for the perfect bulge and lose the tacky front vent. :think:

This after-market Chargespeed bonnet will be modified into a bespoke Superchargespeed bonnet. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=157055&d=1346523757

bonnet.jpg

Still waiting for the replacement Suprastick to turn up and can't get it on the dyno until 13 Sept.

It looks like I may need another 4" pulley making too.

I wish I had my mills and lathes up and running as I'd be able to help. I operate a zero tolerance policy in my machine shop and a good fit isn't good enough; it's got to be perfect.

That's why the workshop isn't finished yet........ :banghead:

This newfangled inter-web thingy doesn't help either.

Rocker cover Mk2 has been blathered with liquid metal on the inside and after bolting down, also on the outside where cracked.

It has two chances, I will see how it goes. :shrug:

attachment.php?attachmentid=157097&d=1346597260

attachment.php?attachmentid=157098&d=1346597260

On closer inspection the 4" pulley is fine, it's the shaft on the charger that has a slight wonk in it. :think:

The charger on the right has a straight shaft so have modified it to fit and cleaned it up but have run out of workshop access time, so will let this one have a go.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157099&d=1346597260

The car is now bonnetless and ready to run the gauntlet to Chelmsford tomorrow and fetch the Chargespeed lid. :)

rocker 2 003.JPG

rocker 2 005.JPG

rocker 2 006.JPG